FZ1 bars installed

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
^^ no kidding. Anyone's wrist would be hurting at that configuration for any lenght of time...no matter the bars. :rolleyes:

Just slide you hands back up the grip while maintaining 90% throttle then. Rider issue not a bar issue.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
What about the width? In the overhead shot it looks like the FZ1 bars are about an inch wider on each side. Is that right? I commute and filter (lane-split) a lot and the extra width would be a pain for me.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about the width? In the overhead shot it looks like the FZ1 bars are about an inch wider on each side. Is that right? I commute and filter (lane-split) a lot and the extra width would be a pain for me.

If you fit a set of FZ1 bars, just cut an inch off each end to reduce the overall width.

:)

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

The FZ1 bars are atleast 4 inches shorter than my old bars, and I lane split fine with the long ones.

This is what I did today:
fz1bars.jpg

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ1 bars are atleast 4 inches shorter than my old bars, and I lane split fine with the long ones.

This is what I did today:
fz1bars.jpg

If you take a look on the right-hand side of the, bar you will see a little hole inbetween in the ignition controls and the mounting clip for the brake lever. I covered that up with some black electrical tape for now. I'm not sure how the bars are finished on the inside, but wouldn't any rust to form on the insides of the bar. Looks good though! let us know what you think of the new riding position.

Mark

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
for the time being I filled it with some ford silicone for the powerstroke diesel. Its grey and really strong. when I take my bar off again im going to weld it and repaint the whole bar.

water can and will get in there if you leave it open.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I took it out for a short ride today. It's a major difference, but I haven't decided if that's good or bad.

It's definitely going to take getting used to. It puts me a lot closer to the front of the bike, and makes the bike feel much smaller.
Turn in is extremely sensitive, with the small bars it's easy to turn from side to side.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it but I experienced two things today
When going downhill the bike did not want to turn, it wanted to stand up and go straight and it was hard to get the bars to turn. Could be my tires or something else.
And my throttle was extremely jerky and it felt like the throttle bodies got out of sync.
It was fine the last time I rode it, so I'm wondering if I did something to the throttle linkage when I took the throttle off the bars.

All in all I'm not sure if I like it yet. I gotta ride with them for a few more times before I make up my mind.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
If you fit a set of FZ1 bars, just cut an inch off each end to reduce the overall width.

:)

Yeah, like, thanks. I could have worked that out myself. I'm jsut wondering if they really are that much wider or if it just looks that way. I have to replace my bars anyway after my fall so I think I'm going to go with the FZ1 bars or maybe some renthal superbike ones. Maybe I'll start a poll.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you remove and install the grips? Did you use any adhesive? Thanks!

The clutch side grip was glued on so I used a screwdriver and a shot of silicone spray(I love that stuff) and it popped right off.

The throttle grip is actually part of the starter switch assembly and slides off with that.

I didn't use any glue putting the clutch grip back so it moves if i grab it hard, I gotta fix that. But I have bigger issues with the throttle cable at the moment.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clutch side grip was glued on so I used a screwdriver and a shot of silicone spray(I love that stuff) and it popped right off.

The throttle grip is actually part of the starter switch assembly and slides off with that.

I didn't use any glue putting the clutch grip back so it moves if i grab it hard, I gotta fix that. But I have bigger issues with the throttle cable at the moment.

There's a locater pin on the bottom inside of the throttle assembly you either have to drill a new hole in the bar or get rid of the pin. I measured and marked where the new hole needs to go and drilled a new hole. I have not read all the posts closely so I don't know what everyone's approach is on this locater pin. Could you have missed this and that's the throttle problem?

I marked the original Bar for where the grip goes and after I removed the grip, I transferred that measurement to the new bar.
I boiled water and put the handle bar and grip in the the water and using a rag twisted the grip off. Put the grip back in the hot water and easily push the new FZ1 bar into the grip. Once cool and dried it was good as before.

I was rushing to catch a friend on a ride and forgot to plug my brake and clutch wires back in. I knew when I stopped and pulled my clutch lever and couldn't start unless in neutral that I forgot the plugs.

I really like the new riding position. Of course we all have different body ergo's so it might not suit all. I took the bike down and up Banner Grade and it felt great!

Last edited:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... I seriously don't get this. You guys say you re-use all the original parts from the old handlebar. I switched to the FZ1-bar a few weeks ago (bought it directly from a Yammi dealer), and no way that I can use the stock bar-ends. They just don't fit, since there isn't any threads in the FZ1-bar...

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about the euro spec stuff but my fz1 bar came with the threaded inserts welding in and the FZ6 bar ends fit. It's pretty much plug and play.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a locater pin on the bottom inside of the throttle assembly you either have to drill a new hole in the bar or get rid of the pin. I measured and marked where the new hole needs to go and drilled a new hole. I have not read all the posts closely so I don't know what everyone's approach is on this locater pin. Could you have missed this and that's the throttle problem?

I marked the original Bar for where the grip goes and after I removed the grip, I transferred that measurement to the new bar.
I boiled water and put the handle bar and grip in the the water and using a rag twisted the grip off. Put the grip back in the hot water and easily push the new FZ1 bar into the grip. Once cool and dried it was good as before.

I was rushing to catch a friend on a ride and forgot to plug my brake and clutch wires back in. I knew when I stopped and pulled my clutch lever and couldn't start unless in neutral that I forgot the plugs.

I really like the new riding position. Of course we all have different body ergo's so it might not suit all. I took the bike down and up Banner Grade and it felt great!
No, I drilled the hole properly and the throttle tube itself was mounted properly.
The problem came from where the cables themselves go up inside the throttle assembly. When I put the bottom cap back in, one of them wasn't locked into place correctly(just a tiny amount of bind), so I took it apart and put it back together, and it worked fine.

I got my morgan carbtune today so I'm gonna sync the throttlebodies and see if that makes a difference.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... I seriously don't get this. You guys say you re-use all the original parts from the old handlebar. I switched to the FZ1-bar a few weeks ago (bought it directly from a Yammi dealer), and no way that I can use the stock bar-ends. They just don't fit, since there isn't any threads in the FZ1-bar...

I would take them back. Could it be there is a year the FZ1 didn't have the same bar ends? I think I ordered 2006 or 08 Fz1 bars. Maybe they're not OEM?

Mine have threaded inserts. Good luck.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, like, thanks. I could have worked that out myself. I'm jsut wondering if they really are that much wider or if it just looks that way. I have to replace my bars anyway after my fall so I think I'm going to go with the FZ1 bars or maybe some renthal superbike ones. Maybe I'll start a poll.

I set tghe FZ1 bars right on top of the stock bars and looking down at them, they look like about a 1/2 inch wider on each side. If you cut them make sure you de-burr and chamfer the threaded insert so that the bar end insert doesn't crossthread. Also if you cut an inch off the ends are you going to cut off the spot weld that holds the thread insert in the bar end?

I'm riding Palomar today. So any San Diego area riders PM me. Now! :rockon:

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
I stuck a set of black renthal MotoX bars on a few weeks back. I cut about in inch off each and and now they are perfect.
Will try and get a pic up later.

grunt1

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did the FZ1 handlebar mod, and I must say I LOVE it! They already feel sooooo much better! The only problem I have is on the clutch lever, that chrome adjusting screw, seems to spin a bit when I turn the bar side to side. I can hear the ticking from that adjusting knob. Any answers on solving this little problem? Thanks!