FZ1 bars installed

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

My 2nd mod to the bike, FZ1 bars. I also did the bd43 light mod and some flush mounts.

Anywho, I did a lot of research on the board before I made the purchase. However, I wasn't able to find any images of the angular difference in the pull back. So, I thought I'd post some pictures I took of the difference for those who are on the wall:

Here is a look from directly over the two. At first glance, you may think there isn't much difference here:

Head on, we can see the difference in height of the bars. The FZ1 bars are pretty flat. There may only be a SLIGHT decline in them, MAYBE 1/8 in. over 8-9 inches or so.

Lastly, we have the bars say on top of each other. FZ6 bars on top. I lined up the middle shanks of the bars and the mounting rings perfectly. Here, we see that the FZ6 bars are pulled back quite a bit more, and are rather sucky.

I'll post more pictures later of my clearances. I am able to do a full 180 turn lock without touching the tank. I'd say I have about 1/4 in. clearance on both sides, pretty decent. I found that with the bars being at a more aggressive angle, the brake and clutch levers also needed to be turned forward quite a bit more. I ended up rotating them both forward about 1/4 in. as well. Now when I sit on the bike, my hand go over the grips, and extending my fingers out straight puts me over the levers.

For those wondering about the little dowels that come off the controls and into a small hole on the stock bar, you can safely remove those. I cut off all but maybe 1/16 in. I put some electrical tape around where each control would like up for some added grip. The screws (two per side) will hold them plenty tight.

I saw a few other posts about people having to loosen the bolt holding the brake line on near the handles. I can confirm this as well, just gave it a little nudge, just enough to turn the line a bit. The problem is that the line will 'sit' on top of the tree a bit, and won't allow you to roll your brake level forward. Very easy to just loosen it, give it a little adjustment, then tighten it pack down.

Overall, pretty easy mod. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

Thanks,
Mark A.

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So.....would the effect be to lean over more with the FZ1 bars?
More like a cafe or race bike. The new bars look cool, can't wait to see
them on the bike.
Thanks for doing this post too!

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
So.....would the effect be to lean over more with the FZ1 bars?
More like a cafe or race bike. The new bars look cool, can't wait to see
them on the bike.
Thanks for doing this post too!

Correct. For me at least, I'm hoping for a little more help on keeping my huge melon out of the wind at highway speeds. just from sitting on the bike, I think I gained (or lost?) at least two inches. Much better feel when tucking in to, none of that elbows-on-the-knees stuff with these bars.

I don't QUITE think they are cafe racer-ish. They don't rake DOWN at all, pretty flat.

Mark

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing this in the next few weeks or month or so. The stock bars hurt my wrists at over 90% throttle.

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
More pics:

Clutch side clearance:

Brake side clearance:

We can see how much sportier the bars look:

My hand position in regards to the levers being rotated forward:

Here is the bolt you need to loosen up to adjust the brake line. I am pointing to the contact area between the line and the tree.

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
This is from back up on the passenger seat. I don't have a before pic, but you can just go look behind your bike to get an idea. These bars are very flat:

Another shot to show the difference in the pullback angle:

and another shot to show the difference in the height of the two:

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm doing this in the next few weeks or month or so. The stock bars hurt my wrists at over 90% throttle.

maybe this is why my wrists get achy after a hard day...how much are the bars at the dealer?

I had the same problem. My back and shoulders were fine on the bike, but my wrists were killing me. I think this, with some good grips will really help that out. Here is what I paid:

------------------------------

Yamaha HANDLEBAR: 1 at $30.63 = $30.63

-------------------------------

Items: 1

SubTotal: $30.63
Shipping: $6.95 *See Shipping Note Below
Tax: $0.00
Discount: $0.00
---------
Total: $37.58

Overall, pretty cheap mod to do.

Mark

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my fz1 bar switch couple weeks ago, I'm very happy.
I bought from my local dealer online for 42.00 dollars tax and all. The best mod to do, and I did the front sprocket also, very easy...

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
they look great too when seen from the back compared to the bicycle/cruiser type stock bars. They should be like ~$38. Order 06+

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah where did you purchase these bars. I've been thinking of getting new bars for the same reason you did, and possibly some rear-sets. :thumbup:

Looks very nice. What did you think after your first ride with the new bars?

I got my bar here:

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/Y-2D1-26111-01-00.html

Pretty cheap, and shipping was very quick. I took a quick 25ish minute ride around the two with a couple highway runs. Overall, riding position is much lower. I think what most people don't take into account is how their body will adjust to leaning forward a bit more. That dang gravity thing will pull your body down more than you may expect. While the bars only may have given me 2 inches more lean, I think with the way my body sits now, I may be somewhere around 3.5 inches.

I do also like being able to have the control rolled forward. I shamelessly use my horn, and have adjusted it so that my thumb is closer to it. I rolled my brake lever forward, and rolled the ignition controls BACK. This way I could lower the bars a bit and still not hit the tank on the turning lock. I didn't really care that my start switch was lower, and now my emergency cut-off is much easier to use.

Overall, I think the position is much better. The bars have much less of a rake backward, so your hands can sit evenly on them. On the stock bars, the outsides of my hands would cramp up very bad. On the FZ1 bars, they sit flat, and my weight is distributed across my whole hand, not just the outer side of my hands. Tucking in was much more pleasant as well, I didn't have to do that weird wrist contortion thing we all do when we want to tuck in real close to the tank. My knees no longer hit my elbows either, thanks to the much better angle of the bars. The bars are a little wider as well, which only helps things.

I think next I'll look into some other grips. I don't know if new rear sets on the picture at the moment. I don't want to turn my fz6 into an all out sport bike, just wanted some more comfort and to get some stress of my wrists.

One thing to keep in mind is that you ARE leaning more forward. The stress that WAS on your wrists isn't gone, it just went to a different body part. In my case, my forearms. I'm cool with this though, since my forearms are much thicker, and don't cramp.

Mark

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put on the FZ1 bar because I've got long arms. It puts my wrists in a WAY more comfortable position.

mpa4712

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you reuse all the FZ6 parts except the bar? For example the throttle tube, bar ends, levers...

I reused everything that was on the stock bars. The bars have the same diameter, so it all fits. Very simple to do.

do they come in colors?
Not that I know. I wouldn't mind getting mine redone in black though, along with anything else on the bike that is silver. If anyone knows a good powdercoating place in Jacksonville, let me know!

Thanks,
Mark Armstrong

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reused everything that was on the stock bars. The bars have the same diameter, so it all fits. Very simple to do.

Not that I know. I wouldn't mind getting mine redone in black though, along with anything else on the bike that is silver. If anyone knows a good powdercoating place in Jacksonville, let me know!

Thanks,
Mark Armstrong

When i bought the belly pan, seat cowl, and side panels i used MAACO, I will go by and ask how much he would charge for powdercoating the bars and let evryone know.