FZ1 bar mod question

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched the forum but have some questions regarding installing an FZ1 handlebar on the FZ6. Does the brake cylinder hose have to be moved to avoid any interference? And, if so, can I just loosen to bolt a bit without having to bleed the whole assy.?

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched the forum but have some questions regarding installing an FZ1 handlebar on the FZ6. Does the brake cylinder hose have to be moved to avoid any interference? And, if so, can I just loosen to bolt a bit without having to bleed the whole assy.?

Tim

Some have reported that it needs to be moved. I went with a different bar (Renthal Ultra Low Riser) and sure enough brake banjo needed to be moved.
Just loosen the bolt (do NOT squeeze the lever when the bolt is loose), rotate and re-tighten. No need to bleed :)

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to re-align on my naked. A 1/16th turn on the banjo was enough to enable it to move without risk of fluid leaking. So as you undo the bolt, try to twist the banjo and you'll know when it's loose enough.

You'll love the lower bars!

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. That is what I was planning on doing but it's nice to know others had success. I find my right thumb starts to hurt and gets pushed into the glove finger. It appears the odd angle of the bar twists my hand and puts pressure in the inside. A test ride of a Triumph Street Triple R last weekend showed me that bars with a more neutral angle feel great.

Now, I just hope I can get the throttle assy off without messing things up. I plan to just loosen the screws and slide it off in one piece. I'll measure and drill a hole in the FZ1 bar to accept the plastic pin.

Tim

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Now, I just hope I can get the throttle assy off without messing things up. I plan to just loosen the screws and slide it off in one piece. I'll measure and drill a hole in the FZ1 bar to accept the plastic pin.

Tim

Careful with the throttle tube. It can crack if you're not careful. I did pretty much what you described but there is just enough slack in the throttle cables to slide it off.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. That is what I was planning on doing but it's nice to know others had success. I find my right thumb starts to hurt and gets pushed into the glove finger. It appears the odd angle of the bar twists my hand and puts pressure in the inside. A test ride of a Triumph Street Triple R last weekend showed me that bars with a more neutral angle feel great.

Tim

It took me one ride on FZ6 with stock bar to realize I couldn't possibly be happy with that angle. New bar improved the comfort tremendously. You'll love it!

As for throttle assy, your approach will work just fine. To avoid pulling hard on cables, after you loosen the screws on both sides (throttle and clutch lever), LOOSEN the bar! This way, you can slide the bar towards clutch side and pull throttle assy without stressing anything :)

As for drilling, I know a lot of folks do this, but honestly, there is very little point in keeping that little plastic tab on throttle assy. Most bikes don't have these. If properly torqued, the assembly will never twist. I just ground mine off. It'll work either way though.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
^+1 on not drilling that hole. If you also wrap the bar with electrical tape under the throttle assy. you will get some extra grip. I ground the plastic tab off and taped and no movement after a year of hard riding. :rockon:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I installed the bar last night and rode to work this AM. First thing, I thought the FZ1 bar was aluminum but it is steel, just like the stock one. I drilled the hole for the right side and had no troubles.

However, as soon as I started out the hand position felt odd. The bars are dead level, they cannot tilt down any more without hitting the tank. This actually makes my hands feel higher up. Guess it will take some time to get used to it but I may go back to the original bar. Not a real improvement so far IMO.

Tim

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you on that. This is why I went with Renthal. I like mine tilted down slightly. My only issue with stock bar was too much back sweep.
Lots of folks love FZ1 bar though.. give it at least 3-4 rides (maybe one long-ish ride?)

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of related,

Has anyone tried taking the bars off, changing them left to right (upside down)?

Instead of up and back, they would be down and back.

I'm thinking about trying this, but wonder if the tank would interfere with the bars?

Comments, suggestions?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume you're talking about stock riser bar (since FZ1 would be the same, no matter how you flip it)..
stock riser will definitely hit, in an upside down position. If you want your bar set that low, you need clip-ons.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC, someone on Sportbikes.net tried that YEARS ago and yes, the controls hit the tank. It's not a bad idea, in theory, but with the way the FZ6 tank "bulbs" out on the sides, you don't have a lot to work with.

If you've still got the fairing, then it's a whole other problem. I'm almost certain if you flipped the bars over they'd either hit the flat part of the fairing as it comes back to the tank, or it would hit the front part of the fairing next to the speedo.

You could try it, but it would probably be a waste of time. FYI, I've got the FZ1 bar and it's LIGHT YEARS better on my wrists than the FZ6 stock bar. But like everything, it's all personal. What works for me may not work for others. Then again, I'm thinking about trying clip ons soon...and that wouldn't sit well with someone looking to take pressure off their hands...lol.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
What a difference a 2nd ride makes. Today I was off work so headed out early in the AM for some twisty roads. The bike seems to dive into corners much more easily. I can flick it from side to side more quickly, or so it feels. My guess is the slightly wider\lower and more forward bar not only move my weight a bit more onto the front wheel but the extra leverage makes it a bit more agile. Perhaps having my hands in a neutral position is a factor.

I stopped by an empty lot to try so slow turns and figure eights. For some reason, I think the bar makes things better. I had more control in the very slow, tight turns. Again, I think the hand position gives a sense of more control as opposed to the odd downward twist the stock setup imposed upon you.

I also found that I sit in a slightly different way. My body is canted forward a bit more and my pelvis is rotated in such as way as to make better contact with the seat. The end result, so far, is a more comfortable position.

All in all a great addition. I still think long distance cruising may be more comfortable with the stock bars, but I rarely do that. Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Tim