FZ1 Bar install TIP!

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished installing my fz1 bars. Was pretty painless and only made 1 DOH!
I had to loosen the bolt going to the master cylinder so I could adjust the brake lever.
After I had everything positioned to my liking, I sat on the bike and pulled in the clutch to make sure it felt right, then pulled in the brake. DOH! I forgot to tighten the bolt to the master cylinder! Brake fluid all over the inside of the fairing :ban::spank::squid:

The bolt in question is #17 on the attached pic.

The moral of the story is to always tighten bolt #17!

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not hard, just takes a little patience to adjust the controls where you like them. Previous thread by mpa4712 shows in detail what is required w/pics:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/13712-fz1-bars-installed.html

He also mentions the brake line bolt mentioned above. If you forget to tighten the bolt before touching the brake lever.... yes, you'll end up having to bleed your brakes.

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
The swap was simple.

1. Remove bar ends
2. Remove left grip (I used compressed air + Windex)
3. Remove left switch (2 screws underneath)
4. Remove clutch lever (one hex bolt)
5. Remove throttle assembly (3 screws underneath)
6. Remove brake master cylinder/lever (2 allen bolts)
7. Remove 4 bolts holding old bars

Then basically do the reverse to install.

You can either drill a hole on the bars to hold the throttle assembly, or remove the "little nub thingy" on the throttle assembly. I removed the "little nub thingy" with a sharp blade.

I sprayed the inside of my grip with hairspray and it seems to be sticking fine.

The whole thing took my about 90mins (mainly because I had to bleed my brakes :spank:)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
When tightening banjo bolts, be careful not to tighten them too hard, they're very sensitive. You should also replace the crush washers and flush the brake fluid.