fun on the highway

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled out on the highway, with the green light, made my left turn. From behind the previously slowed traffic starts gaining on me, and 2 riders on harleys gain on me. I get to the next light red, so stop, the 2 hogs are on my right. Woman on the right side, man on the left. I wave and give thumb up. Light turns green, and the man takes off really fast. It caught me unaware, cause I had my face shield visor up getting a breeze at the light. I flipped that down, meanwhile the lady is taking off slow as normal. I begin to open up 1st gear and get up to 10k rpm. Shift second and the harley is really taking off now. I open 2nd gear up and jam 3rd at 9k rpm. I am side by side with the man on the harley doing 100 mph. I boost it and pass him cleanly, get some distance and cruise at 80. Both harleys caught up and rode side by side and took the next exit off. 1 thing is, I didnt know harleys could take off like that, what a fast dang Vtwin. I still blew his doors off. LOL I was just off balance right off the get go. I really wasnt expecting a cruiser to race me. LOL. Neither harley rider acknowledged me with even a look.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that'll learn ya....

V-twins have a ton of torque which is great low end, but they lose it as the speed gets up there. you can gain a bit of the accelleration for yourself if you change the sprockets....

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has ample acceleration. Thats not the problem. I just didnt prepare myself for taking off fast. I figured the cruisers were gonna , you know, cruise. LOL. fun ride though.

S

sportrider

it takes a lot of skill to beat a harley out of the hole. they are heavy and can almost drop the clutch with out the risk of looping like our bikes (not saying they can't) and the torque as reiobard stated is nothing to scoff at. I've raced H-Ds many times and only got the holeshot a few. but, I've never lost in the back end...yet.:D

H

HavBlue

If the Hog rider knows what he is doing and does it well it will be very difficult to beat said Hog across a light and in the case of a V-Rod, good luck at any time and on the fat end too. After a quarter mile you may say bye bye but before that it would be very likely you'll get spanked. This providing riders both have skills. Owning both a 1200 Harley and the FZ6 I can tell you it has been my experience the Harley will come out of the hole much harder.

S

sportrider

...in the case of a V-Rod, good luck at any time and on the fat end too.
I've ridden a V-Rod, and I'd love the opportunity to run one. I think it would be a good race!!! they definitely have long legs.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haven ridden both my bike and Keira's SV650s, i can attest that a twin will. be faster out of the hole, but a bit slower on the top...

Both Bikes have their attributes, once understanding them you will ralize where they lie. I love the FZ!!!

H

HavBlue

I've ridden a V-Rod, and I'd love the opportunity to run one. I think it would be a good race!!! they definitely have long legs.

Yeah they do and the SE V-Rod has even longer legs.... In Motorcyclist Magazine they tested an 02 V-Rod and went 11.31@ 115mph where the FZ6 went 11.30@ 119mph. Interestingly the V-Rod went from 60 to 80 in top gear at 4.05 seconds where the FZ6 took 5.09 to accomplish the same task. That's where torque comes in....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah they do and the SE V-Rod has even longer legs.... In Motorcyclist Magazine they tested an 02 V-Rod and went 11.31@ 115mph where the FZ6 went 11.30@ 119mph. Interestingly the V-Rod went from 60 to 80 in top gear at 4.05 seconds where the FZ6 took 5.09 to accomplish the same task. That's where torque comes in....

i think that the important part is that the FZ is .01 seconds faster...and 4MP/H faster....

H

HavBlue

i think that the important part is that the FZ is .01 seconds faster...and 4MP/H faster....

The important part is the .1 could be in reaction time and have zero to do with the bike at all. You will also note this was an 02 V-Rod and they are very much improved over the last 6 model years. Granted, the FZ6 has seen some minor improvements but nothing like the evolution of the V-Rod. The 2008 model has 121 hp and the engine has 1250cc as opposed to the 02 with 1130cc. The V-Rod Destroyer runs low 9 second quarter mile times too.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a question not many people will ask.

Why did you bother?? I would have ridden nice and easy making eyes at his lady. So now he is blazing off down the road like an idiot, leaving his woman behind....what would his next move be???

Most guys do not realise that the thing between their legs is a motorbike, a mode of travel. It`s not a second dick.

10000 rpm in first?? What did that sound like??

Steve

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
10k rpm with my scorpions oh my god sometimes i delay shifting intentionally

it sounds like 10,000 silkworms having sweet silky sensual sexy time

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the time I have had my fz6, I have made it a point to get used to high rpm's. That doesnt mean I go light speed, I just may delay shifting until I hit 10k then go up. 10k feels pretty good, there is a lot of pull, but once I hit the limiter in 2nd gear. I never do that crap if i'm on a busy road or highway. I'm talking I can see the horizon with unlimited visibility. If you ever want to come to some type of mastery of the fz6, or any bike, you should definitely get used to its power band. :rockon: