Fuel treatments? Whats best and how often?

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Whats the best fuel treatment for a bike - Seafoam, Lucas fuel treatment etc. and how often should it be used as well as how safe is it for my FZ6 motor? I use Stabil for winter storage for all my vehicles.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't used anything in my FZ6 - ride it all the time except for when it is below 24 F which only happened once or twice this year! Have a can of Seafoam and have used it in a couple of machines but haven't really noticed any difference, maybe they didn't need it. Yamaha makes a produce called Ringfree which would be my first choice - have a bottle but have only used it in my Honda scooter - now it will get up to 39!!!!

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response PhotoAl! Ive never used either but I just bought the bike (showroom cond. 08 FZ6 w only 4600 miles) and it had been sitting for a few weeks or so. It was suggested to me to that it wouldnt hurt to run some seafoam threw it. Im not sure if I should or not. Im riding everyday, and will untill the first snow hits or freezing rain! Thanks again, I apreciate your time!:thumbup:

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I use seafoam in mine. I use it as a stabilizer every winter that way i dont need two different products and it helps clean in the spring as an added bonus. Has worked well in my old 1992 seca II and my fz.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chevron Techron (black bottle) its a injector cleaner. I use a portion in the bike and dump the rest in the auto twice a year (2 tank fulls each). The primary time being before I park it for the winter.

FWIW: Each time you stop an engine the fuel air mixture in the intake track drys on injectors as well as valves and intake track, effectively condensing back to a solid as the engine cools. Add to this that some of the intake valves will be open and combustion gases are also condensing and drying inside the engine. Lots of short trips makes this worse while long rides can have a cleansing effect.

Its why i use it.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Premium fuel is the best cleaner,it has everthing your engine needs to stay clean and operate correctly.... some fuel system cleaners can damage sensors. :thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike has always run like you would expect a japanese made bike would - perfect. Never a hiccup.

I ran a can of seafoam through the bike in 3 installments over about a year and a half. totally not needed but figured couldn't hurt. Feels kinda like a waste of $8 (get this stuff on sale)

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for all comments and advice! Bikes running great - Filled it with some Chevron 91 octane and the more I ride it the better it runs. She's purring, idleing and excellerating smooth, and screaming on top! I might try Seafoam instead of Stabil for storage this winter. I will check with Yamaha and see what they say as well. Thanks again everyone- FZ6- Rocks! :rockon::rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chevron Techron (black bottle) its a injector cleaner. I use a portion in the bike and dump the rest in the auto twice a year (2 tank fulls each). The primary time being before I park it for the winter.

FWIW: Each time you stop an engine the fuel air mixture in the intake track drys on injectors as well as valves and intake track, effectively condensing back to a solid as the engine cools. Add to this that some of the intake valves will be open and combustion gases are also condensing and drying inside the engine. Lots of short trips makes this worse while long rides can have a cleansing effect.

Its why i use it.

+1 on the Techtron as a great cleaner.

Techtron ISN'T a fuel stabilizer, Seafoam is and does clean the fuel system as well as the top end. Yamaha Ringfree is HIGHLY recommended in the marine world as a cleaner, not a stabilizer. I've run it in my FZ as well..

I run Seafoam on a regular basis, with regular fuel, runs great... When I "treated" the bike to high octane the idle lowered a little on its own and I didn't notice any difference in performance.

Un-less you have some detonation, the bike doesn't require premium fuel and runs just fine on regular... BTW, the manual calls for regular fuel.

Fuel will break down as quick as a month with the ethonol so unless riding often, I strongly recommend some sort of stabilizer. Unless you burn thru the tank completely, IMHO, its a must.

I've never had a problem with Seafoam and run it in EVERY gas powered engine I own...

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I never tried Seafoam I know it's basically just Naphtha and cutting oil, unless they changed the formula in the last few years. Maybe I'll try some in my Ranger it hasn't seen a fuel additive in years.