Fuel additives acceptable? Acceptable fuel additives?

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump in my '06 FZ6 died. Yamaha Canada wants ~$700 for a new one. My mechanic suggested checking eBay for a previously enjoyed unit. Found one for about $150 shipped.

The new-to-me used fuel pump is installed and working, but my mechanic says there is some hesitation / lag when you open the throttle which could be related to the fuel pump being gummed up from sitting on a shelf. He suggested it a) may clear itself up over time, b) may clear up with a fuel additive, c) may not clear up. [Aside: IMO, I should have just bought the new pump from Yammie ... $700 over the ~35,000kms I have ridden is immaterial. *sigh*]

Any experience out there with additives that might be appropriate?

- Mark

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump in my '06 FZ6 died. Yamaha Canada wants ~$700 for a new one. My mechanic suggested checking eBay for a previously enjoyed unit. Found one for about $150 shipped.

The new-to-me used fuel pump is installed and working, but my mechanic says there is some hesitation / lag when you open the throttle which could be related to the fuel pump being gummed up from sitting on a shelf. He suggested it a) may clear itself up over time, b) may clear up with a fuel additive, c) may not clear up. [Aside: IMO, I should have just bought the new pump from Yammie ... $700 over the ~35,000kms I have ridden is immaterial. *sigh*]

Any experience out there with additives that might be appropriate?

- Mark

Yamaha's RingFree is about the best stuff you'll find. Highly recommended in the marine world.

I use it in EVERY machine I own, including the FZ regularly.

You can use it at 2-3 the recommended dosage W/O issue...

Amazon and E-bay besides most Yamaha marine stores have it:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34