Front End Suspension feels gritty

SirByron

Reaction score
Visit site
So I noticed a leak on my front forks and used a Sealmate replica (cutout from a yogurt container) and cleaned out the seals. I believe that it was a success because after pumping the suspension (probably 45 times total) there was no more oil on the forks. Hooray! Except..

Problem: During the suspension pumping process the suspension started to feel more and more gritty.. It almost feels like when pushing on a spring that is rusted, it's just somewhat gritty. I haven't been out riding yet, but I've reattached the seals and it all looks great but just feels gritty! Any ideas? Time to replace oil?

Bike details! 2008 FZ6, 26,000 miles-ish. As far as I'm aware the fork oil has never been replaced.

Thanks!

(Side note. I've never actually spent so much time pumping the suspension so this might be normal and I've just never noticed how it feels when pumping so repetitively....)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe, just maybe, the fork stopped leaking because there isn't any oil remaining to leak. I've had limited success of clearing debris from a dirt bike seal. From my experience, when a street bike begins to leak, it's time for new seals.

With that type of mileage on the forks without a fluid change, do yourself a favor and relace the fluid and seals.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, it's way over due for an oil change.

What's in there now is going to literally "stink"...

Buy extra for flushing and brake cleaner for flushing the serious sludge out....

There's a fair amount of oil in each leg. Unless it's been leaking a while and a lot, I suspect most of it's in there..

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting that the fork is empty, but that there isn't enough oil remaining for the fork oil to perform its primary function; damping. If any more than an ounce has slipped past the seals, it will stop leaking AND will feel flaccid as there will be little ability to provide meaningful damping (with an ounce gone the fork would see more than 90% compression under braking). The bike could become unstable when 100% compression is achieved.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much air would you recommend Mr Townsend for average street riding with a normal size pilot 175lbs or so?

Tom, I'm about 220lbs and I keep no more than 16 PSI in each leg.

Any higher, I feel every rock in the road.

The 16 PSI gets rid of most (95%) of the stock sag (left the springs in) and firms up the front end a bunch, definitely NOT mushy, no more extensive dive on hard braking anymore either.

If too tight, simply loose a little air.

I use a digital air gauge (accurate to a half pound). I've added maybe 4 lbs every year and a half (twice since I installed them)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen dried bug shells induce leaks. Thankfully like all other road kill they soften, degrade, dissolve and the leak stops.

That said, over filling the forks an inch to an inch and half firms up the stock bits reducing dive. Try it.