Front end feels loose?

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I'm not sure how exactly to explain it, but in the past few weeks, I've noticed that my FZ6 has felt more "loose". Turns don't feel stable and the steering is very very very sensitive. I've checked the tire pressures (33/36 exactly), checked my rear wheel alignment, checked for a loose steering head bearing. Tires are stock and in great shape (4500 miles). I don't know what else could be the problem.

Some other explanations I've come up with:
*The bike hasn't changed, but I've gotten more used to it and subsequently more sensitive to the handling and feedback.

*I've been going back to the gym for a couple months and working on my upper body...is it possible that my arms are getting stronger or something else is being affected or is that a crazy notion?

Is there something I need to check and double check? Does this problem sound like something obvious to you guys? :(

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned 4500 miles, is that tires only or Total Miles on the bike?

A lot of us FZ6 owners, including myself have had issues with the steering head bearings. But the symptons are more of a rattling feel from the forks and handlebars whenever you hit a bump. Most of us have started to get issues after 10,000 miles.

Try using the search tab typing in some keywords and see if anything might relate to your problem.

shamrocker

Reaction score
The 4500 miles are for both the bike and tires. I tried searching for loose, squirly, squirley, unstable, etc but nothing jumped out. I don't think it's the bearing, since their is no rattling/looseness from the handlebars or forks. Tried the test, which I did by grabbing the front brake lever and trying to rock the bike forward and backward, too.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
you gotta put the bike on the centerstand and lift the front. Then hold the forks and push forward and back on them...any movement and you gotta tighten up - I know - I've replaced mine 3 times :( ...in only 13,000 miles.

anyways, if there is NO movement, I noticed that at a lower RPM in turn that the bike feels heavier and at a higher RPM the turn in feels faster. Possibly just me, BUT it was definitely noticeable to me. So you could have changed your riding style and not realized it.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
How fast and how tight of turns does it do it on? When on really tight turns you might want to let off the throttle more going into the turn to dampen the suspension. This will make you more stable.

My stock rear only lasted 4500 or so.

You might want to try putting in racetech springs and a 15wt oil if the fork check comes out negative.

Are you riding beyond your limits?

Z

Zealadin

Sounds alot like the problem I had on my last bike when the fork seals died and the front suspension went to hell

shamrocker

Reaction score
How fast and how tight of turns does it do it on? When on really tight turns you might want to let off the throttle more going into the turn to dampen the suspension. This will make you more stable.

My stock rear only lasted 4500 or so.

You might want to try putting in racetech springs and a 15wt oil if the fork check comes out negative.

Are you riding beyond your limits?

Well, I'm usually riding at low speeds like 20-30mph when I notice it. The throttle suggestions are something to think about, maybe I'm riding at a higher RPM than I used to. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's hard to explain what exactly I mean without a base of reference. I just didn't want to ignore it if there is something really going on ;)

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm usually riding at low speeds like 20-30mph when I notice it. The throttle suggestions are something to think about, maybe I'm riding at a higher RPM than I used to. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's hard to explain what exactly I mean without a base of reference. I just didn't want to ignore it if there is something really going on ;)

Have you put the FZ1 handlebars on? I had the exact same problem after I put them on stock. It was really wobbly, and super sensitive. My fix was cutting them down an inch on either side(2" total) Since the FZ1 bars are a bit wider and more straight they give you more leverage on the forks than you should have. not sure if that helps you.

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I just checked mine as per your advice and noticed a slight movement/play. How difficult is it to do this tightening? I trust once the top s open I'll see if there is any rust as i noted some members had that issue and replaced the bearings? Where can i get that manual to find out what is the proper torque required for this?

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Just did this last Saturday. Mine was extremely loose @ only 6k miles and was getting really scary - steering was really sketchy, would follow tar snakes and lines in the road badly and would shake under hard decel or braking.

Took maybe 20 minutes - remove the 27mm nut on the top triple (may have to remove the handlebars) then loosen the top fork clamps and pull the top triple off and you'll see the two "nuts". You won't be able to see the bearings for any rust and you won't be able to torque them unless you have some fancy torque hook spanner. I just used large vise grips and a hammer & chisel once it got too hard to turn with the grips. I just tightened it until the steering got tough to turn then backed it off a bit. No more clunking and steering is sooooo much better. I'm going to eventually replace them with all balls but this was an easy fix to get me by until then.