Front brake locked

crimsonrick

Reaction score
Visit site
Have an 09 FZ6 with 7400 miles. After having a prospective buyer ride last week, pushed it into my driveway where it sat for 1 week. Another buyer was looking at it, was about to ride when we realized the front brakes were locked. Never had that happen before. Any ideas what caused this & a fix? The brake lever is very hard to pull in also and does not release the brake. I'm in a sling due to surgery & am limited in what I can do right now. Ant ideas would be appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You may have a stuck piston in the master cylinder or a stuck piston in the caliper. Check your master cylinder area to make sure there is not a mechanical issue where the lever is bound and will not release.
You might open the bleeder at the caliper to see if there is pressure in the line. If there is pressure this should release the pressure and allow the caliper to relax but you still have to find out why the wheel is bound. You'll also need to bleed the system with fresh brake fluiid.
Since you 're in a cast you should get help with this..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on a stuck piston.

If you can gently put a medium sized flat head screw driver between the brake disc(both sides) and the brake pad you SHOULD be able to push the pistons in just slightly. The front wheel should loosen up once you find the specific (IF its just one piston) stuck caliper.

I wouldn't go far as you'll likely push brake crap into the caliper... If you have an air compressor, blowing air into the area of the disc and caliber may help. You'd be surprised how much brake dust gathers in there. Squeeze the brake lever and push the pads back to normal position.

Do this to all 4 pads.

Obviously this is NOT the correct permanent fix.

**If you do this on the center stand with a sizzor jack under the header (to raise the front wheel), as you do EACH PAD, you can determine is there's one individual pad/piston hanging up bad.

Should you find this to work, you know you need new caliper brake seals. Yamaha recommends NEW seals EVERY TWO YEARS. In real life, 4-5 years is closer before replacement is mandatory..

Please post back what you find..

Last edited: