Front brake caliper loose after install

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Took apart one of my front brake calipers thinking I needed to replace pad (still a lot of room left) however when putting it back together felt a little loose. Didn't think anything much (thought after riding it would tighten up...I know I am dumb) but noticed brakes were choppy. So uninstalled and tried to reinstall and still noticed it is still loose (compared the other side I did not take apart). I did tighten both bolts to spec 29 ft/llb. Any ideas?

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I inserted one of the pads wrong the first time (one of the sides that had writing on it looked like it had been warped...hopefully didn't damage the disc too much) - second time pumping the brakes after installed that tightened things up. I want to think this is part of the process of learning things as I watched a <5 min video of someone installing it however mine was quite the ordeal....live and learn I suppose..

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had that happen when I first got my FZ and had a shop replace the front tire. Front brakes were 'different', and required a couple squeezes to build up the right stopping pressure.
Took a look and saw one of the pads was not seated properly and was skewed. (I change my own tires now, thank you!)

You're right...your experience is part of the process of learning. Using this forum and other sources like YouTube, there aren't many jobs on the FZ you can't do yourself!