Urgent!! Front end binding after tire swap?!

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
I was really hoping the bike would be ready for a ride I had planned tomorrow, but its been fighting me.

-Removed old wheels/ tires, took new ones to the shop for mount and balance.
-Used lithium grease on both axles, installed front wheel first and snugged up the axle before putting the bike down.
-Installed rear wheel aligning it using the string method/ setting chain slack, snugged up the rear axle. Rear spins free.

*All brake caliper bolts torqued to 16ft/lbs, front axle 52ft/lbs- front pinch bolt snugged not too tight, rear to 87ft/lbs.

Brake calipers were hung off of some wire during the job, they never went into any crazy positions. Levers were never touched until I reinstalled them. Nothing is making contact with the front wheels apart from the calipers/ pads (They slipped on and torqued without any issues too??).

I may be paranoid but my brake lever *might* be feeling a little spongy. Its so bound up I need to put all my weight to on the bike to roll it, I tried moving it under power 50 feet or so to see if it would break loose and nothing.

Please help, I've had tomorrow's ride planned for a whole now :(

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So if I'm reading this correctly, you just took the wheels/tires off, got the tires changed, and put everything back on.

Problem is that the front brakes are grabbing and it's tough to roll? But at the same time, the lever feels spongy?

Since you say the front lever feels spongy, go ahead and bleed the brakes (I did it yesterday when I put the R6 calipers on) and it really isn't too hard to do. It was my first time, and it took about a half hour since the lines were completely filled with air. Yours should only take about 10 minutes to bleed.

After doing that, if you're still having issues, check to make sure the brake lines are back in all of the original mounting positions. There are a few different mounting spots including one by the lower triple. And the "splitter block" has to mount in the correct orientation on the left side of the bike (on the left fork).

It sounds like something might be twisted up, or tightened down in the wrong spot. Let us know what happens!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would pull the wheel and first make sure the rotation is correct. Check the arrows --->

Edit: I just went to Ron Ayers and checked the collars/spacers and they are the same so if it's not the brake caliper the wheel may be flipped. If the wheel is flipped , check that your tire is mounted in the correct rotation.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the FZ6 spacers on the front wheel are different. I would pull the wheel and first make sure the rotation is correct. Check the arrows ---> If the rotation is correct, swap the spacers.

Edit: I just went to Ron Ayers and checked the collars/spacers and they are the same so if it's not the brake caliper the wheel may be flipped. If the wheel is flipped , check that your tire is mounted in the correct rotation.

^^ True!
Unless it has R6 forks. Then the spacers matter left vs right.
I'm pretty sure on the front there is no way for the bearing spacer to fall out from between the two bearings w/out having a bearing out so it doesn't leave much IF, BOTH spacers are in place in the axle seals!

Any chance the wheel fell and bent a rotor? That could cause this. If its an S2, pull the pins and remove the brake pads. Spin it and confirm rotors hold true. Pictures here at post 13 - w/a quick How Too bleed brakes: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html

PIC - Checking Rotor Trueness:
54417d1406581369-crisis-takes-chattering-during-hard-braking-img_20140724_181954_131-jpg

Take a look at these pictures and confirm all parts are accounted for:
http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/frontwheel.gif
http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/frontfork.gif
http://joiseyboyz.com/moto/fz607/frontbrakecaliper.gif

From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies :thumbup:

So while I was waiting I buzzed up and down my lock for a minute to see if it would release- nope. I lifted the front wheel to confirm it was seized and get a better look, here is what I found (Left front caliper):

Am I doing something wrong here? I took out all the sliders on the front calipers to lube them and the bottom 2 were VERY stubborn and both stripped two threads coming out, what the hell? Oh and now the brake lever is completely spongy. Why the hell? No air introduced into the system, so damn strange... (I checked again and both sides are grinding, not just the right).

All spacers and whatnot related to mounting are accounted for. I ran a string through the wheel when I brought them to the shop and made sure everything stayed on.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Besides the caliper/brake system being fluky now. Have you checked to make sure there is a collar/spacer on both sides of the wheel where the wheel fits between the forks?

Think of it this way. You weren't servicing the brakes. You were changing the tire. Check that the rotation of the wheel is proper. Then check both collars.

Parts #8 - collars in this parts breakdown... FRONT WHEEL

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In that 1st picture your rotors are both have been galled against the calip castings as if the wheel is not in the proper position. Is your wheel flipped or are you missing a collar??

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull your wheel. flip it around, assemble your calipers. Is the wheel free now? If yes rotate the wheel so the rotation arrow on the tire is at the top of the wheel. Is the arrow pointed to the front/forward? You're good to go if not take the wheel back to who mounted it and have it flipped... :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple things re your S1;

You should be able to put a large screwdriver in between the pads and spread them, pushing the TWO pistons back into the caliper bore. Can you do that? They should push back in fairly easily.

You can also use a "c" vise grip or "C" clamp on the pistons. (**watch you don't push too much brake fluid back into the master cylinder and over flow)..

Initially you got the calipers torqued down fully and then upon re-checking(re-assembly), the aluminum threads in the caliper stripped out?

Just to confirm, with BOTH calipers OFF, you can spin the wheel without issue correct?.

One other thing, there's an arrow on the tire and one on the wheel itself. **The wheel is the critical for direction. Please confirm that's correct..

As Cliff noticed, the caliper at one time(or likely now), rubbed up against the rotor which may be the issue. If all the above pans out, nothing un-usual, re assemble WITHOUT THE PADS (don't pull the fronk brake lever). That caliper should clear the rotor easily. Spin the wheel and check for clearance.

Those two mounting bolts allow the caliper to center itself as the pads wear. It appears the outer pad wasn't installed for it to rub as such (may be old damage)..

Last edited:

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed it, epic bonehead move :shakehead:

Will update after I get back from scrubbing the tires in :D

In the meantime, any guesses as to what I did wrong? :spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fixed it, epic bonehead move :shakehead:

Will update after I get back from scrubbing the tires in :D

In the meantime, any guesses as to what I did wrong? :spank:

Good job! Because of what I saw on the rotors, I'm thinking a collar was missing or the wheel was flipped... :)

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Cooling down a bit before I ride so I don't pull another stupid, thats what happens when UPS messes up 2 of your motorcycle shipments in 1 week and you're frantically trying to finish :rolleyes:

Soooo the wheel was flipped. I'm pretty embarrassed that I managed that but ah well. Thanks again to everyone :thumbup:

And now to finally break in these tires before tomorrow's road trip! :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Soooo the wheel was flipped. I'm pretty embarrassed that I managed that but ah well. Thanks again to everyone :thumbup:

$hit happens... And Cliff called it!!

I knew they had an arrow and a specific direction, figured for aero-dynamic's. Actually, I didn't know it would rub..

Is that caliper bolt hole stripped?? If it is, I would be addressing that...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cooling down a bit before I ride so I don't pull another stupid, thats what happens when UPS messes up 2 of your motorcycle shipments in 1 week and you're frantically trying to finish :rolleyes:

And now to finally break in these tires before tomorrow's road trip! :D

Coolness! Give those new tires some heat cycles and have a blast tomorrow!

The SoCal Hoons are riding what we call the the, "Border Patrol Ride" tomorrow. :rockon:

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies :thumbup:

So while I was waiting I buzzed up and down my lock for a minute to see if it would release- nope. I lifted the front wheel to confirm it was seized and get a better look, here is what I found (Left front caliper):

Am I doing something wrong here? I took out all the sliders on the front calipers to lube them and the bottom 2 were VERY stubborn and both stripped two threads coming out, what the hell? Oh and now the brake lever is completely spongy. Why the hell? No air introduced into the system, so damn strange... (I checked again and both sides are grinding, not just the right).

All spacers and whatnot related to mounting are accounted for. I ran a string through the wheel when I brought them to the shop and made sure everything stayed on.
Sorry, I just go to read this tread. Looking at your upper pic, I can see right away that your tire is flipped. The open part of the spoke should face backwards. Your is facing forward. It won't matter on FZ6R but it matters on FZ6.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I just go to read this tread. Looking at your upper pic, I can see right away that your tire is flipped. The open part of the spoke should face backwards. Your is facing forward. It won't matter on FZ6R but it matters on FZ6.

Just above, that's what the problem was. He flipped it back properly (as you noticed) and it was fine.. (great observation BTW)

Hopefully the tire was mounted on the wheel correctly.

**From post #5; " I took out all the sliders on the front calipers to lube them and the bottom 2 were VERY stubborn and both stripped two threads coming out, what the hell?"

I wouldn't be ignoring this unless you had enough threads for full torque requirments...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep... Just looked at pic and front wheel spoke direction is ah... Well the other way....
72f4nd1vz

Although the forks and calipers appear as mirror images, i guess they are not!

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
**From post #5; " I took out all the sliders on the front calipers to lube them and the bottom 2 were VERY stubborn and both stripped two threads coming out, what the hell?"

I wouldn't be ignoring this unless you had enough threads for full torque requirments...

They torqued down just fine, but 2 of the threads on those bolts stripped as they came out, I don't know why but I gave it a 45 mile thrashing and everything is good and tight.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup: