From touring fz6 to naked street fighter

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
So I think I qualify for the most extreme conversion. Coming from a Madstad windscreen to completely naked is about as extreme as it gets.

The whole process took me about 8 hours spread over 2 days. The hardest part was actually removing the fairing nicely since I plan on selling them. I also completely destroyed the headlight electrical harness while pulling it apart. I had planned to reuse my front turn signals but ended up stripping the thread off the plastic housing so I had to get a new 1 of those.

So here are all the mods I performed:
-vs02 naked conversion
-shined the headers
-installed Scorpion exhaust
-removed center stand

I had initially tried using just steel wool and polish on the headers but that didn't work as they had set in stains. Ended up sanding with 320, 800, 1500 sandpaper and then steel wool. Looks amazing and didn't require too much elbow grease.

The exhaust I purchased from a fellow forum member. Shined them up to match the headers. They are pretty quiet for an aftermarket exhaust but still louder than stock. I had a set of Akrapovics before and those were way too loud. The Scorpions give a perfect compromise without the need for any silencers. They also don't stick out too much.

The center stand was hard to remove as the bolts were rusted. Also, some stupid engineer decided the left side bolt can't be removed without taking off the side stand.

Have a CRG arrow bar end mirror on the way. Took it out for a spin and must say that it's weird without mirrors.

Was contemplating painting the lower cowl blue to match but I think it looks good with the black on the headlight fairing. What do y'all think?

Last edited:

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
20130227_125728.jpg

20130227_125738.jpg

20130301_151428.jpg

20130301_151304.jpg

20130301_151349.jpg

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a sweet conversion.. what are your thoughs from going witha huge screen to now nothing.. pros and cons?? bike definitly looks great naked :thumbup:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a sweet conversion.. what are your thoughs from going witha huge screen to now nothing.. pros and cons?? bike definitly looks great naked :thumbup:

+1

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about the windscreen change.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely a huge difference. There was almost no pressure felt with the madstad. It gave you a cocoon of calmness so freeway riding was very easy. Now there's a constant pressure on my chest at speeds greater than 65, although there's definitely less turbulence than with the stock screen. The airflow is very smooth. I would say naked is much better than the stock screen or any iteration (puig etc).

I think the biggest difference is the feel of the bike. Riding is like a completely new experience, a completely new bike. It feels easy to dive into corners and confidence inspiring given how much of the roadway is visible. I would recommend to anyone who's happy with the stock windscreen to go naked. It's better in all aspects.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks really good!! Doing a lot of highway riding, I think I'd miss my Madstad though.

But it does look awesome! :rockon:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely a huge difference. There was almost no pressure felt with the madstad. It gave you a cocoon of calmness so freeway riding was very easy. Now there's a constant pressure on my chest at speeds greater than 65, although there's definitely less turbulence than with the stock screen. The airflow is very smooth. I would say naked is much better than the stock screen or any iteration (puig etc).

I think the biggest difference is the feel of the bike. Riding is like a completely new experience, a completely new bike. It feels easy to dive into corners and confidence inspiring given how much of the roadway is visible. I would recommend to anyone who's happy with the stock windscreen to go naked. It's better in all aspects.

That is an interesting perspective. To say it feels easy to dive into corners must be completely perception because obviously the bikes are the same. I wonder if you ever switched back if you would still have that confidence of riding with the upper fairing....

I understand what you mean about seeing more of the road though. Great thoughts! Thanks

blu3

Reaction score
Visit site
That is an interesting perspective. To say it feels easy to dive into corners must be completely perception because obviously the bikes are the same. I wonder if you ever switched back if you would still have that confidence of riding with the upper fairing....

I understand what you mean about seeing more of the road though. Great thoughts! Thanks

It's not really the same bike as you have shed allot of weight from the front by going naked. I noticed exactly the same thing, it was allot easier to turn in to corners. A friend also mentioned that I'm turning the bike allot quicker than I use to with the fairing on. IMO she has become more nimble since I went naked.

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not really the same bike as you have shed allot of weight from the front by going naked. I noticed exactly the same thing, it was allot easier to turn in to corners. A friend also mentioned that I'm turning the bike allot quicker than I use to with the fairing on. IMO she has become more nimble since I went naked.

That's a good observation. I never thought about the weight loss. Also it brings the weight closer to the center of the bike giving it better front/rear weight distribution.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site

I would be interested to know the weight difference. I believe you when you say it is a different bike, my comment was more directed towards the essence of the bike; engine, wheel base, suspension, braking power, etc.

And great last line! :D

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I would guess only a couple pounds from the fairings/plastics. A big difference would be the headlights. The stock dual headlight assembly is heavy! I'd estimate total difference of not more than 3-5 lbs.

The naked headlight is so much closer to you than the stock setup. Probably 6-10 inches closer. I think that is what affects the perception most.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I think the bike looks much better with the front fairing and a puig racing screen. I also like doing some touring, so a screen is definitely needed. Your bike does look awesome though. I wish I had room in my garage for a naked 'around town' bike!

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
I think people would be surprised how nice a naked bike is even at speed. Just like on the stock fairing, you'll feel wind pressure on your chest but the wind around your helmet is much smoother. You lose all the turbulent, buffetting air. It's actually quite comfortable.

In regards to the weight, the fz6n is listed at 13 pounds lighter than a faired fz6. That's a big difference. I can see that, as the stock fairing stay is so much heavier than the naked stay.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think people would be surprised how nice a naked bike is even at speed. Just like on the stock fairing, you'll feel wind pressure on your chest but the wind around your helmet is much smoother. You lose all the turbulent, buffetting air. It's actually quite comfortable.

Yup! I loved the feel of mine. It would get a quite tiring on prolonged stretches at high speeds and the biggest issue for me was riding in the cold! (Obviously not a concern in Socal!)

For back roads riding in anything over 50 degrees, I would still rather have a full naked bike.

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude just wanted to say your bike looks like sex on wheels! Just curious where did you get the VS02 kit and is it possible to rig a projector lens in there for a HID light?

Last question what belly pan is that?

hsq91

Reaction score
Visit site
The kit can be obtained from dev_usc, a member on this forum. Just send him a private message. He's very responsive in replying.

The belly pan is from powerbronze. Ordered directly from their website. Was around $110 painted black.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like the naked look. Love the half fairing as is. Now if there was a truly stock looking headlight that complimented the lines of the bike, I'd be more interested.

Regardless of my personal preference, beautiful bike and congrats on a very nice clean job.