Frame slides or Engine Guard? (POLL)

Your preference - FRAME SLIDERS or ENGINE GUARD?

• Sliders

Votes: 57 83.8%
  • Engine Guard

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have a pair of Shogun frame sliders http://www.moto911.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_13_87&products_id=33

I have no complaints EXCEPT that I like long rides and I'm looking for a place to put up my feet. One option is to replace the sliders with a pair of SW-Motech Engine guards TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'07) - SBL.06.316.100 and attach a set of pegs to them.

This safety issues surrounding sliders (and engine guards) have been discussed a bit before, but my question here is which would YOU prefer? (and why?)

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought about both (it can be done with some minor modification I think) - my thought is that the sliders would stick out far enough that it would interfere with use of footpegs mounted to the guards.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point. I don't have either yet but am looking at which I would want - think I am leaning towards the frame sliders.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I would stick with sliders. They actually slow the bike down in a crash, the bars look like they would just keep sliding.
I also worry about impact absorption. The sliders are a tough plastic which is going to be better at dissipating shock forces in event of impact. The steel will still spread the forces but also transmit more to the frame. Then again, the bars have more surface area and have multiple attachment points. :don'tknow:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally like engine guards. I just think that there isn't one out there that adds to the styling. One of the criticisms of the factory one is that it blocks access to the oil filter. For me it is no biggie having to remove and then re-install it for oil changes.
One of the members here is designing an engine rail (Who?).
I would defo be interested in his work.
Sliders are OK for slow slides, there are huge differences with the slider quality and bolt strength.
At the moment I have a set of Puig sliders (won on e-bay and here next week).

Nelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have frame sliders...agree with others, quality is important with this one...have also ordered rear axle, and front fork sliders...something else to consider.

Also agree that if there was an engine guard that did not detract from overall look of the bike, then would go with that too.

:thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

I voted for the engine guard :D so it looks like I'm in a serious minority. I like my sliders well enough, but I think I'm gonna break down and get the engine guard. It's definitely a 'function over form' decision.

Most of the mods I've done haven't exactly improved the looks of the bike, but they sure have improved my ability to ride in nasty weather and do long trips.

For better or worse, I'm determined to convert my FZ6 into a trans-continental touring rig. Some folks think I should have just gone and bought an old Goldwing or something, but I really like the fundamentals of the fZ6 (low weight, great brakes/handling, good range and fuel economy, comfortable seating position, reliable & low maintenance I-4 engine). It's also one of the best values in motorcycling and I love the fact that it still FEEL like I'm riding a motorcycle when I'm on it. I don't want to get too far away from having the wind in my face and the ability to flick around corners.

All that and I'm too cheap to buy an FJR!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
some of the engine guards cover the oil filter and makes it hard to do oil changes and some other mod's as well.

Fixzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to the forum and to riding, Bought a 2005 FZ6 a couple of months ago and have been thinking that I need to get some kind of protection on my bike. I don't know alot about frame sliders or engine guards so this poll will be alot of help in deciding. Any feedback is welcome.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think my SW-Motech guards look too horrible. I went with the guards over the sliders because it seemed like having multiple mounting positions should make them a little stronger than the sliders and less likely to tweak the frame in a drop. I'm also planning on putting some forward pegs on them for some longer trips next summer. I don't know how the OEM ones fit, but the SW-Motech guards still allow you to change the oil. I still have plenty of room to get an oil filter socket and a ratchet in there.

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
for me i prefer the frame sliders over the engine guard. cause im getting the full fairing for my fz.
in terms of protection level, the engine guard gurantees ure bike engine would be safe when things happen. sliders only help to lessen the damage

but cause of the fairings, my best protection comes from sliders. gonna invest on the front & rear ones from motovation

Last edited:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read a lot of accounts about the engine guards. The consensus seems to be the the Yamaha ones (which look uglier IMHO) do block the filter a bit, but that the SW-Motech ones don't (at least if you avoid a long filter).

As soon as my credit card balance resets (so I don't have to pay them off this month), I'm ordering a set.

Photos and a write-up will follow installation.

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read a lot of accounts about the engine guards. The consensus seems to be the the Yamaha ones (which look uglier IMHO) do block the filter a bit, but that the SW-Motech ones don't (at least if you avoid a long filter).

As soon as my credit card balance resets (so I don't have to pay them off this month), I'm ordering a set.

Photos and a write-up will follow installation.

I will be watching for it. Very interested in these engine guards.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked the engine guards because they look like they would pretect a little more but i personally wouldnt put them on my bike. They arent for me.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone will probably know a lot more than me but IMO the sliders are mainly to protect your bike in a low speed incident. Where as the engine guard will protect your engine in higher speed incidents but your pretty plastic pieces will be done for.

Again IMO the sliders are the way to go because they will protect the pieces that will most likely get banged up in a minor incident that won't cost more than your insurance deductable. In a higher speed incident you will most likely be glad to be alive then you will pay your insurance deductable for the amount of damage.

My opinion would change if you were planning on racing in which case if the insurance isn't going to cover it you would want to write of the plastics and protect the engine because that is more important.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd vote for both as they have two different functions. 1) as stated sliders are great for low speed/tip over type accidents. Even with sliders you will most likely still scrap up your engine case covers and if you fall hard enough you may crack a cover. (done that before on a GS1100) 2) the case covers do just that, protect the case, however...it will not keep the bike up off of the ground the way a slider will. Also racers will buy billet case covers with replaceable sliders built into them, ala Woodcraft.

So I guess it all depends on how much protect you want for your bike.

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I did both...
Twisted Throttle engine guard...Oil filter access OK.
Frame sliders on top of the guard.
The problem was not enough bolt length to get a good bite (thread count) on engine case. I searched and searched but there is no bolt with 1.25 pitch longer than 80mm in "socket head".
You need a socket head (Allen) in order to fit inside the slider.
Hex heads are available longer but 2 problems, will not fit inside slider and thread length only goes so far up bolt from end.
Solution: Took dremel tool with sanding drum and opened up inside slider just enough to allow "socket" to fit over hex head bolt. Got a "die" and threaded more lenght onto the bolt such that actually extends a few threads beyond "back side" of engine case.
Looks actually just about as normal as a regular slider. Engine guards I can place my feet on them to rest/stretch for awhile without pegs...(future maybe w/aux lights).
Hopefully will never need to test this set up but have been on outings (others) where even the slightest oops has put the bike on a truck w/cracked case, broken shifter etc...after an 8 hour wait - no fun when it gets dark and cold!
Sorry no pics.