Frame sliders good or bad?

stfrailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to riding and just bought my 06 FZ6. I had never noticed or realized what frame sliders were until I asked the seller about them when he brought the bike over. They instantly seemed like a great idea and I couldn't understand why every bike didn't have them unless for aesthetic reasons.

Then I took my MSF beginner course and talked to the instructor. He explained that frame sliders and prevent cosmetic damage at very low speed drops (which I've already had) but can by a curse at high speeds since they are bolted to the frame and can bend/twist the frame when otherwise just the fairings, etc. would be destroyed.

Any experience and/or feedback with this? Should I take them off after I get confident enough to not drop the bike stopped/slow turns?

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to riding and just bought my 06 FZ6. I had never noticed or realized what frame sliders were until I asked the seller about them when he brought the bike over. They instantly seemed like a great idea and I couldn't understand why every bike didn't have them unless for aesthetic reasons.

Then I took my MSF beginner course and talked to the instructor. He explained that frame sliders and prevent cosmetic damage at very low speed drops (which I've already had) but can by a curse at high speeds since they are bolted to the frame and can bend/twist the frame when otherwise just the fairings, etc. would be destroyed.

Any experience and/or feedback with this? Should I take them off after I get confident enough to not drop the bike stopped/slow turns?

Hi and :welcome:... IMO, at high speeds more than fairing gets damage. Every crash or drop is different. Everybody has their own opinions about them and expensive, better quality sliders are made to break off before they bend the frame. I've never seen a high speed drop that did only fairing damage to a bike. My cousin dropped his new R6 months after he had it, I talked to him and convinced him to get the sliders a few days after he got the bike... He did! The slider broke taking the first impact then the bike slid for a few feet. Without the slider it would been a different story. Sliders are the first thing I add to my bikes. They work even if you drop the bike on your driveway... Also at high speeds the last thing you should worry about is your bike.... Stay safe and how the saying goes, "dress for the slide not the ride!"

Jon

I trust T-rex sliders Made in Texas USA

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak to sliding crashes. I've had two drops. One my fault, one was from an inattentive cage. Both times they saved me $$.

Maybe if they called them droppers?