For the life of me - Where does this ground go?

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
So I worked late and got three hours sleep. I missed a ground when I cleaned up the harness for my fz1n install. Its a single wire all by it's lonesome and I can't remember where it goes. and i don't remember what connector it was close to before i pulled the harness apart. ahhhhh

Help a brother out.

Thanks

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
lol that's a bit vague of a description, but if you know it's a ground, then pick any ground you have available and tie it to that!

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol that's a bit vague of a description, but if you know it's a ground, then pick any ground you have available and tie it to that!

Yep, that would work as long as it is not the ground for the battery. ;)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it the ground that would normally attach to the fairing stay? That would make sense as you may not have a new place to attach it. ( I haven't seen the FZ1N light)

Like other said, just ground it (BARE metal) and you will be good! :thumbup:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL. Yeah I got that. I just wanted to know where it originally went. Most stuff here is a m6 bolt and this is smaller. Just didn't know where it went exactly.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Don't ground it to the tripleclamps or anything else on the front end, or you'll be creating a path for electricity through your steering head bearings. Dissimilar metals + electricity = ****ed bearings.

Ground it to the frame.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ground it to the tripleclamps or anything else on the front end, or you'll be creating a path for electricity through your steering head bearings. Dissimilar metals + electricity = ****ed bearings.

Ground it to the frame.

Very good to know here! I wouldn't ground it there just because it moves.....would have never thought of this! :thumbup:

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site

Ground it to the frame.

umm dont get me wrong here but by grounding anything to the frame
will create a path for electricity to flow anywhere along the frame including the head steam and tripples if it so decides

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
umm dont get me wrong here but by grounding anything to the frame
will create a path for electricity to flow anywhere along the frame including the head steam and tripples if it so decides

The front end and bearings are electrically connected, this is true. They will always be at the same voltage potential as the rest of the bike's frame. But that's OK. Volts aren't a problem. Even if you charged the bike's frame up to 20,000 volts, that wouldn't hurt the bearings because the amount of current needed to get the front end at the same potential would be minimal.

What matters is amps, or current flow. If something is grounded to the front end, then the current has no choice but to return through the bearings, and that's when you can get into problems.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance, so if there's a ground to the frame, the current will flow through the frame to the battery's ground connection. It's not going to take a side trip through the steering head bearings and front end unless you force it to.

Anyway, this isn't an absolute, where you ground to the front end and your bearings are toast within an hour. It's a slow process. In fact, it's probably slower than the natural degradation of the cheap steering head bearings that our bikes come with. But it is an effect, and is easily avoided by picking a better ground location.

Fred