Fjr1300

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to my local dealer today to check out the FJR,they priced an '08 for $12,000. I'm about ready to go back and make the deal. Any input from owners of this bike? Likes,dislikes? The reviews I've read have steered me towards it instead of the Concours or Honda ST1300.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have owned both an FJR1300 and a Bandit 1250 (the Canadian version with full fairing and hard luggage). In my opinion the Bandit is better. The FJR is a bit of a boat. Bandit handles better (like a big FZ6), and with a incredible smooth engine to boot. The suspension was better on the Bandit as well. You can also get a Bandit for $4000 cheaper...

Good luck, both are great bikes....

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an '06 FJR. It was a huge disappointment mostly due to the dealer being a jerk. After the dealer issues were solved, I still had some major complaints.

1. A mid corner bump would cause the bike to stand up straight, and head for the outside of the corner.
2. It was heavy and handled like it was even heavier.
3. If the sun was behind me, the reflection off the dash was blinding and made it impossible to read any of the gauges.
4. The throttle was incredibly stiff.

I believe some of these issues have been addressed in the '08 models. They make great power. I may give them another look when it is time to replace my Tiger.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the VFR today also at the local Honda dealer, '07 anniv.edition in red/white/blue and a silver/gray. I found another dealer who is advertising an '07 for $7500,and one in Atlanta with '04-'06 for $7500. Just looking for a comfortable tourer I can do some 3-5 thousand mile rides on across the country. I like the better wind protection,seating position of the larger bikes....decisions decisions

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked out the Ducati Multi-Strada? It's like the FZ6 but a bit bigger, 1100cc. Has Olin Suspension, rides real nice and can still handle the twisties.

W

wrightme43

Dude the Freddie Spencer paint scheme would rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you checked out the Ducati Multi-Strada? It's like the FZ6 but a bit bigger, 1100cc. Has Olin Suspension, rides real nice and can still handle the twisties.

OH yeah there ya go if you have not ridin a Multi do it . you will not want to get off of it . I have been tossing around the idea of trading in my Monster on another Duc and that one is on the top of the list

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Bandit, VFR are nice bikes but if you are serious about long distance comfort you can't go wrong with a bike with some tupperware.

I've got over 50k on my 04 and really like it. Most of those miles involve riding all over the western US. Protection from the elements (mostly wind) is a must for me when riding 500 mile back to back days.

Of course it feels bigger than the FZ6 but when fighting cross winds this bike feels planted. For a 650 lb bike it will handle the twistys just fine. I did a track day at Sears point with the FJR and had a ball.

That 1300 power plant is a hoot. Rock solid pull all the way to red line. The hardest part is keeping under 85 as it just wants to go. Much more sporty than the Honda or Kawi.

I have the Audio Vox cruise control, heated grips, Rick Mayer seat, powerlet plugs, V1 radar detector plus other farkles.

Tons of extras available along with plenty of information at FJR info.com and the FJR forum.

For me 250 miles on the FZ and I am done. 250 miles on the FJR is just the first half of the day.

I did a 4000 mile trip in 7 days last fall with a day and a half in the rain with no problems. Don't think I would have ridden that long with an unfaired bike.

Get the FJR!

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response everyone, basically what I'm looking for is a bit heavier bike for stability,wind protection and adequate power and comfort level for interstate riding. R.Wazp has indicated his experience sums up what I had expected from the FJR. Now it's just a matter of deciding to plunk down the cash....and BTW, I'm keeping the FZ, it's my fun-all-around-helluva-hoot choice.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
It's great to have a choice of bikes to ride.

Check out D&H Cycle in Cullman AL. for pricing on both the FJR and a YES (factory warantee). The boys on the FJR forum say these cats are the bees knees when it comes to FJR's.
888-553-3311
Good luck, let us know what you get.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
While it is a little ways off, my next bike will be a sport tour.

I am liking the FJR 1300 and the ST1300, also in the mix is the BMW R1200RT, but the price is nearly double for it.

Like I said a few years off, but thats where I want to be heading.

-bryan

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did some work on a friends new Concours and can say, it is very, very quick however the engine throws a lot of heat on the riders legs/feet (much more than the FJR). With the bags on the Concours, most of the mirrors are useless as 1/3 to 1/2 of the bags are in the mirrors.... My friend had several RT's. They felt very tall to me and vibrated a bunch,(all over the RPM range). Its pretty qiuck but nothing near the Yamaha or Kawasaki..

I currently have an 04 FJR (Gen I) and did all of the heat fixes which did help quite a bit.. The FJR if great for road trips and WILL power wheelie(throttle only), one or two up with just the throttle (Gen II have different gearing-higher top end-less wheelie power/acceleration). With having a lower RPM range than the Kawasaki, there is alot more horsepower/torque down lower so you don't have to scream it to get it moving... Roll on's on the interstate without downshifting will get you into triple digits, real quick and very easliy... The FJR looks good with bags on or off, the kawasaki, BMW and Honda Not so much (in my opinion). I can't comment about the Honda as I don't have any first hand knowledge of that bike...