FJR1300 potential purchase....opinions!!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a 2004 FJR1300 with 70,000miles and hes asking $3000.
I know thats alot of miles but I have tons of faith in my Yamaha's.
for those of you who dont know, im a small guy (5'8" and 120lbs) so would the size of the FJR be an issue for me? and is there any reasons I should stay away from the bike? anything to look for?

~JC

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My first and only was an 04 FJR. You shouldn't have a problem reaching the ground. Like the FZ, if you start to tip over, your, not going to save it and there's a little more plastic.

Keep it on two wheels and you'll be fine.

Some 03's and 04's had a ticking (mine didn't) with the exhaust valve guides.

Yamaha, to my knowledge (even out of warranty) was still repairing them (please confirm this) should there be any ticking near the top end. There was a TPS re-call (Yamaha will still re-place it for free). The cam chain tensioner is almost the same as the FZ and should likely be replaced (same issues but not as bad at the RPM's are much lower, I re-call a 9,000 RPM red line)

The 03, 04 aand 05 Gen I) was fairly notorious for a lot of engine leg area heat. There are numerous fixes (see below forum) which I did all of them to mine but in SW Florida, it was just too hot for me in the summer. Elsewhere in the country, I don't think it'd be an issue.

This is the forum I frequent and peddle helmet lock brackets:
FJRForum

The Gen I bikes are geared a little lower than the 06-12 models (slightly higher freeway RPM's but are slightly faster accelerating. The 2013's have a sport and touring mode which in sport is like and 04 and in touring mode, like a Gen II.

Sign into that forum and look around, there's guys getting 200,000 miles on them. Obviously, service is a big part of it. Extremly knowledgeable guys there. The only issue I ever had was a connector under the fuel tank that like to collect water and corrode up causing issues the dealer couldn't fix. I found a thread there, same problem, fixed my bike after finding and cleaning the connector. Lots of dilectric grease, never had another problem with it...

Powerwise, with 145HP at 8,000 RPM, take it easy until you get used to it. It WILL POWER WHEELIE if you nail it in first gear at 4,000 RPM's and can easily get to 140 MPH two up... No linked brakes so flushing is alot easier, hydralic clutch, flush when you do the brakes. Ft calipers are the same as the 07 FZ6 pots ( 4 pistons, same procedure for re-building)

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks scott...I was mainly concerned with the size difference....im kinda psyching myself out because its soo much bigger than im used to.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks scott...I was mainly concerned with the size difference....im kinda psyching myself out because its soo much bigger than im used to.

Yes its heavier, especially running slow.

Around town, I left the side hard bags off, you could definitly feel the diffence going slow around town.

Once moving (above say 10-15 MPH) no problems and much steadier on the highway than the FZ due to the additional weight, aerodynamic's, etc. It'll get rolling clutch only (gently) with no throttle and with some practice, you can U turn as tight as the FZ6.

While learning, I'd definitly ride with the bags off and NO pillions on the back.

Its real easy for a passenger to leverage the bike over if they get on, pushing hard on the peg. For both the FJR and FZ, I keep the kick stand down, and have my passenger mount from the left side so the kick stand is keeping the pillion from knocking me over..

Pic's W/O bags and with factory side cases and Yamaha top case on my old 04:

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Is he the original owner? I would request the service interval history done on the bike. You might check the VIN and see if any warranty work has been done on it as well. It might not be a bad idea to take it to a respected motorcycle mechanic locally to look it over for 30 minutes for evaluating typical weak points on a heavily used bike.