FJ-09/ MT-09 TRACER Official

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Watching Yamaha's new releases @ Yamaha-we-r1.com

Just released was the MT-09 Tracer. They havent stated anything concerning the U.S. market and the FJ name, but they have confirmed it for the EU Market.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
They havent stated anything concerning the U.S. market and the FJ name, but they have confirmed it for the EU Market.

'American riders can expect the new FJ-09 to be in dealers in November 2014, with a price tag of $10,490 MSRP.'

2015 Yamaha FJ-09

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-01.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what do you all think now.. knowing more about it?
18L tank (good for ~200 miles), 3-position adjustable screen.
Personally, I love it. If the fork is non-adjustable, I'd have to look into what can be done to make it work better and I'd have to ride it to see what fueling is like (if it's like FZ09, I know I'll need to get fuel management of some sort).
Besides that.. this *could* be my next bike :eek:

- Just noticed it's still using single headlight for low beam. That's a shame. My FZ1 uses dual for low and high and the OEM light output is about 100 times better than any bike I've ridden with dual headlight / single low setup (FZ6, R6, 848). So that means I'd also have to mess with headlights (I do a lot of riding in the dark)

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-33.jpg

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-16.jpg

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the fork is non-adjustable, I'd have to look into what can be done to make it work better

Looks like they have made the forks adjustable:

Chassis
Suspension / Front 41mm fork; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4-in travel
Suspension / Rear Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1-in travel

I pretty much decided my next bike would be a '15 Versys 1000, '15 Wee Strom 1000, or the FJ-09. Will have to wait until I can test ride each. But the FJ was out if they hadn't increased the tank capacity. Price looks about right. We'll see!

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Touring options appear to be VERY pricey though. Check it out:

Top case mount: $171
Top case: (45L) $190
side case mounts: $95
side cases: $533

Also, check out this disclaimer:

WARNING
Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together on FJ-09 due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

WTF!
Not so sure the FJ is on my short list any longer.

more at

Yamaha Accessories

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site

Top case: item not available yet

Also, check out this disclaimer:

WARNING
Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together on FJ-09 due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle.

MMm isnt that about par for Yamaha Accessories?? Blah

I wonder about that overload warning.. maybe they put that one out there because of the wheelie nature of the FZ9, Wanted to release themselves from pending lawsuits when someone loads both of those up and endo's the bike!!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah not too worried about the warning. You should see what Givi states for max load of their top boxes.. would basically make them useless if you were to follow the limits. Prices are close to Givi too.. not cheap.
Definitely changes ride characteristics fully loaded. Like riding with a big passenger.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Very likely to be my next bike. I would wait till the used market starts up though in a few years.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a really nice practical bike. It's out-of-the-box in-line with many of the popular upgrades to the FZ6. ABS, adjustable suspension, lower center of gravity and gear indicator are all appealing over the old fizzer.

Hopefully the throttle response is fixed over the FZ09. Definitely worth a demo ride.

Video on Yamaha's site:
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Video, movies

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Top case: (45L) $190

After further consideration of the other bikes on my short list (new Versys 1000, new VStrom 1000, FJ-09), the FJ's MSRP of $10K is about $2,000 less than the competition. Figure an extra $1K for luggage/mounts, still ahead of the game.

Guess I'm done talking about it. Really need a test ride. :rockon:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
So what do you all think now.. knowing more about it?
18L tank (good for ~200 miles), 3-position adjustable screen.
Personally, I love it. If the fork is non-adjustable, I'd have to look into what can be done to make it work better and I'd have to ride it to see what fueling is like (if it's like FZ09, I know I'll need to get fuel management of some sort).
Besides that.. this *could* be my next bike :eek:

- Just noticed it's still using single headlight for low beam. That's a shame. My FZ1 uses dual for low and high and the OEM light output is about 100 times better than any bike I've ridden with dual headlight / single low setup (FZ6, R6, 848). So that means I'd also have to mess with headlights (I do a lot of riding in the dark)

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-33.jpg

2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-MT-09-Tracer-16.jpg

I thought I read where they had a factory recall for the 09's mapping and that the fix has been implemented on the new models.

I do like it though. :thumbup: 2015 sure looks to be a good year for new models.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I would rather have the FZ09.

I believe if you are not in the market for a more touring oriented bike and after previous comments from you I get the impression you don't care for those extra gadgets like wind protection and luggage, then the FZ09 is cheaper, lighter and likely more fun!

I agree with others a test ride would be nice.

I'll wait till 2017 and buy one of these with 5K miles for $7,500.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe if you are not in the market for a more touring oriented bike and after previous comments from you I get the impression you don't care for those extra gadgets like wind protection and luggage, then the FZ09 is cheaper, lighter and likely more fun!

That is what it is all about! :)

This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. No factory recall on throttle mapping for fz09 that I know of. I figured I would get a letter....

1 day with the throttle on an 09 and your used to it. Unless you put it in A mode lol.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. No factory recall on throttle mapping for fz09 that I know of. I figured I would get a letter....

1 day with the throttle on an 09 and your used to it. Unless you put it in A mode lol.

It wasn't a question of being used to it for me.. it was more about really not liking it and not wanting to *live* with it. I've ridden a stock bike and one with juice box.. I know it can be infinitely smoother/better than stock.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see that the dual headlight mod will be popular one. I like the bike, but for an 850cc bike, I would have liked to see a larger fuel capacity. I hate looking, worrying and stopping for fuel.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this might be my next bike when I heard the rumours about it so I rode up to the AIMExpo where I test rode the FZ09. I was surprised by how blah the bike--no--make that the engine felt to me. I must be in the small minority since all the reviews have very positive and I thought I would feel the same, but compared to my old Triumph 1050 triple, I felt as if Yamaha's triple was boring, made a ton of mechanical noises and lacked character.

With over 80,000 miles on my FZ6 that I bought new in 09, I am not quite sure what to do as it is my main vehicle, so I need it to be reliable which it still is, but I am starting to get a little nervous.

While there, I also tried the Super Tenere which I disliked even more. It felt like a tractor. The DL1000 I tried was better, but still not quite there. The new Versys 1000 looked awesome, but I have already had a liter bike and prefer smaller ones. The smaller Versys 650, I also rode and dislike immensely. I wish I would have tried the FZ07 as there have been rumours that it might arrive as a little Tenere. Given that I mostly now use my bike for commuting 110 miles a day, better gas mileage, easier on tires might be the way for me to go with a small Tenere.

Actually, if I had to find a new bike tomorrow, it would be one of these: another FZ6, used 2012+ DL650 or FZ8.