FJ-09/ MT-09 TRACER Official

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this might be my next bike when I heard the rumours about it so I rode up to the AIMExpo where I test rode the FZ09. I was surprised by how blah the bike--no--make that the engine felt to me. I must be in the small minority since all the reviews have very positive and I thought I would feel the same, but compared to my old Triumph 1050 triple, I felt as if Yamaha's triple was boring, made a ton of mechanical noises and lacked character.

With over 80,000 miles on my FZ6 that I bought new in 09, I am not quite sure what to do as it is my main vehicle, so I need it to be reliable which it still is, but I am starting to get a little nervous.

While there, I also tried the Super Tenere which I disliked even more. It felt like a tractor. The DL1000 I tried was better, but still not quite there. The new Versys 1000 looked awesome, but I have already had a liter bike and prefer smaller ones. The smaller Versys 650, I also rode and dislike immensely. I wish I would have tried the FZ07 as there have been rumours that it might arrive as a little Tenere. Given that I mostly now use my bike for commuting 110 miles a day, better gas mileage, easier on tires might be the way for me to go with a small Tenere.

Actually, if I had to find a new bike tomorrow, it would be one of these: another FZ6, used 2012+ DL650 or FZ8.

Agree with you on the dislikes.. I'm looking forward to trying FZ07 and FJ09 in March :thumbup:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this might be my next bike when I heard the rumours about it so I rode up to the AIMExpo where I test rode the FZ09. I was surprised by how blah the bike--no--make that the engine felt to me. I must be in the small minority since all the reviews have very positive and I thought I would feel the same, but compared to my old Triumph 1050 triple, I felt as if Yamaha's triple was boring, made a ton of mechanical noises and lacked character.

With over 80,000 miles on my FZ6 that I bought new in 09, I am not quite sure what to do as it is my main vehicle, so I need it to be reliable which it still is, but I am starting to get a little nervous.

While there, I also tried the Super Tenere which I disliked even more. It felt like a tractor. The DL1000 I tried was better, but still not quite there. The new Versys 1000 looked awesome, but I have already had a liter bike and prefer smaller ones. The smaller Versys 650, I also rode and dislike immensely. I wish I would have tried the FZ07 as there have been rumours that it might arrive as a little Tenere. Given that I mostly now use my bike for commuting 110 miles a day, better gas mileage, easier on tires might be the way for me to go with a small Tenere.

Actually, if I had to find a new bike tomorrow, it would be one of these: another FZ6, used 2012+ DL650 or FZ8.

Have not ridden the FZ09 so can't speak to the throttle response but hate bad response at low RPMs. Have almost dumped my bike a couple of times when the throttle response was off. Had an FZ6 which I loved but bought a CBR600RR a couple of years ago. Had all of the stuff I wanted on the FZ6 like better brakes, adjustable suspension, lighter and not as top heavy - easier to manuver in parking decks. Put Heli bars on it and a Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen which made it OK for longer rides. Have ridden it from Birmingham to Sarasota a couple of times (in July!). Replaced the seat with a Saddlemen but still get tired of sitting, knees are better on the CBR, over 55 get enough wind prop it is not bad. So all in all it's not bad for sport touring. Have looked at the FZ-09 a couple of times and have been very tempted by it but no wind protection and would give up a lot in the suspension and brakes (for the few times I really use them :) ). The FJ-09 really tempts me but my biggest concern is the extra weight, I don't want a 462 pound bike - still remember how top heavy the FZ6 could be - the one thing I really disliked about the bike. I like the 600 size bikes (I'm 5 10 and way over 50 BTW). The FZ-09 and the FZ-07 are great bikes but have not directly replaced the FZ6. Loved that the way the power was there if you reached for it. Who cares about midrange, just keep it singing if you want to go fast.

Yamaha did all the right stuff with the FJ09 and it will be a great bike. If I was moving from the FZ6 to a new bike today, I would buy the FJ09. However now that I have two years with the CBR every time I think hard about the FZ-09 or the FJ-09 I come up saying "not today, maybe when I get older".

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha did all the right stuff with the FJ09 and it will be a great bike. If I was moving from the FZ6 to a new bike today, I would buy the FJ09. However now that I have two years with the CBR every time I think hard about the FZ-09 or the FJ-09 I come up saying "not today, maybe when I get older".

This is my thinking as well. I'm not running to get in line, and will likely wait for the FJ09 to be out a year or so to work out any issues - but this is indeed where I'm going next. Latest pics show a tall windscreen and hard bags, and half fairing sort of design as the FZ6. All the pieces to the puzzle of what I'd want in my next bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

80k miles from 09, that's some serious riding. And I have to place you in my 50,000 mile club. Post up a pic and you're in.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/33285-50-000-miles-club.html?highlight=50%2C000+miles+club

My next replacement will be the Ducati Multistrada.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my thinking as well. I'm not running to get in line, and will likely wait for the FJ09 to be out a year or so to work out any issues - but this is indeed where I'm going next. Latest pics show a tall windscreen and hard bags, and half fairing sort of design as the FZ6. All the pieces to the puzzle of what I'd want in my next bike.

My #1 reason to wait would be to not take the big depressionation hit by buying it new. I've said this before: I absolutely LOVE that *used* bikes with pretty much no miles (5k -8k is still new, in my opinion) can be had for 1/2 the MSRP! :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm also looking around for a replacement bike, not that I need one desperately but in a couple of years time I would like to replace my 2007 FZ6 which has over 100,000 km's on it. I really have to start looking at different bikes and start doing some test riding. I'm finding it difficult to find a bike that ticks as many boxes as the FZ6 does, hope the FJ09 does this (have to wait to test ride it.) although I still find the styling a bit "all-road".
BTW a mate of mine has a V-Strom (DL650) and it needs maintenance every 6000km's as opposed to the FZ6's 10,000km's, this would mean that I would need to service the V-Strom at least 2 times per year :eek:

Last edited:

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
All very good points. I must say that we are very lucky with the choice of bikes on the market. Lots of options for everyone.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The new Versys 1000 looked awesome, but I have already had a liter bike and prefer smaller ones. The smaller Versys 650, I also rode and dislike immensely..

A bit off topic, but what exactly did you dislike about the new Versys 650? Just curious, I've only read about it.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
Beside the fact that it is a Kawasaki? :D

This space intentionally left blank.

Very vibey like a paint shaker. Low torque, not much of a top end. No visceral joy in riding it. There has only been one bike I tried that I disliked more: BMW F650gs. At the same time, many people really enjoy them, so to each their own.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Blah The 2015 Vstrom 650 XT

suzuki-v-strom-650-xt-2015_1.jpg

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I see your V-strom and raise you the MV Agusta Turismo
Turismo-Veloce.jpg

Or the Stradale
_G102725.jpg

Both 800s, seems everyone wants to do what the Ducati Multistrada is doing with an tall upright performance model.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know you're not asking me specifically, but as I hated it too, here's the write-up I did after my test-ride:

Very vibey like a paint shaker. Low torque, not much of a top end. No visceral joy in riding it. There has only been one bike I tried that I disliked more: BMW F650gs. At the same time, many people really enjoy them, so to each their own.

Thanks guys. Thought that the 2015 model might have improved on some of the issues you both pointed out, but apparantly not. I'll test it for myself, but appreciate you guys pointing out the flaws I should be aware of.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll wait till 2017 and buy one of these with 5K miles for $7,500.[/QUOTE]
likewise I really like the V2 version with a proper tank and screen. I am going to buy a second hand nearly new and ride the ****e out of it with a happy grin.
This is the bike that was missing from the Yamaha line up.
I really enjoy my FZ6 but there has been a slight thing missing which im sure is rectified by this triple tourer. The Yamaha luggage looks a bit naff but by the time I am in a position to purchase the aftermarket goodies will be affordable and in abundance. I really appreciate Yamaha's focus of looking at real world riding, and delivering a product for the masses.
As we all know the Kawasaki H2 is about to change the playing field with regard to absolute eyeball popping brain shattering horsepower and mind bending performance for the next gen of moto hooligansBlah

Nelly

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
They had me sold but I'm changing my mind. It is the traction control and ABS. Knowing how to ride, I need neither and don't want another bit to repair a few years down the road.
So it looks like I will be riding my faithful Fazer next year. Unless I find a killer deal on an FZ-09 and somebody starts making cowls for them.
I wonder why they jacked the price up? All the useless gadgets? The mini fly screen?
I am beginning to think that who ever is in charge of instrument clusters at Yamaha is the CEO's son in law. That would be the only way they could keep their job after producing one failure after another.:eek:

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i think this bike is awesome. why the hate for it around this thread? its a "grown up" FZ09. that can't be bad? wheelies and luggage :rockon:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
i think this bike is awesome. why the hate for it around this thread? its a "grown up" FZ09. that can't be bad? wheelies and luggage :rockon:

The FZ6 was at least 2 bikes in one, whereas the FJR09 has clearly been taken in one specific direction.

So half the FZ6 fans on here become FJR09 haters. Blah

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They had me sold but I'm changing my mind. It is the traction control and ABS. Knowing how to ride, I need neither and don't want another bit to repair a few years down the road.

That will make it difficult for you in the future. Much like with cars, eventually all bikes will have ABS and traction control. That's my prediction.
Look at it this way.. since you feel you don't need those items, you don't have to fix them if they stop working :D