FJ-09/ MT-09 TRACER Official

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
That will make it difficult for you in the future. Much like with cars, eventually all bikes will have ABS and traction control. That's my prediction.

Look at it this way.. since you feel you don't need those items, you don't have to fix them if they stop working :D

That would be fine, if there was an option to turn the TC off. In the unlikely event the TC fails, I would hate to have it fail, right as I am coming out of a turn and opening the throttle.

This space intentionally left blank.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
That will make it difficult for you in the future. Much like with cars, eventually all bikes will have ABS and traction control. That's my prediction.
Look at it this way.. since you feel you don't need those items, you don't have to fix them if they stop working :D

Yes, I agree, which is why I was looking to buy new now while I can get a new bike without the training wheels. I love my Fazer but she IS 10 years old. This past summer, I spent more time fixing then riding. That is a trend that needs reversing. It looks like an FZ-09 is in my future. I just don't much like the 'streetfighter' look. The cowl really helps once I have a little pace on. A real cowl, not the small fly screen on the FJ.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be fine, if there was an option to turn the TC off. In the unlikely event the TC fails, I would hate to have it fail, right as I am coming out of a turn and opening the throttle.

Do you spin your rear wheel every time you come out of a turn? Do you skid every time you brake?

You have to remember that all of these systems (ABS, TC, MSC) are there for when you go past available traction (too much brake, too much throttle, etc).

A good rider who learned on a bike without all of the above systems will likely never trigger any of them, or at least won't trigger them often.. provided the systems are well sorted and don't come on way too early.

The potential for a bad scenario is a rider who learned to depend on these systems instead of learning to be smooth (too abrupt on brakes and on throttle) crashing as he/she jerkily operates controls because the system fails for one reason or another.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site

Here in America it's a pretty good bet that some one will figure out how to take the 5hit off within a month of it being released. You will still have to pay for it. Then there is the weight. Why would you need TC off a corner?
The trick there is to not get your wrist into it until you are either upright or as close to it as your frame and suspension allows you to get. If you have a stiff frame and your suspension is set up right, there shouldn't be an issue. Most of the kids around here ride on their arms, which hinders control out of a corner. Ride on your thighs. You only squeeze the bars if you are about to fall off. Steering is done by pushing down on one side, forward on the other. No need to grab anything.
The last thing I need is being in the middle of a potentially dangerous situation and having to fight with a machine over control of MY motorcycle.
Especially if that machine was programmed in accordance with the wishes of some bureaucrat whose total experience with motorcycles consists of having one pull up next to him at a stoplight.:Flash:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in America it's a pretty good bet that some one will figure out how to take the 5hit off within a month of it being released. You will still have to pay for it. Then there is the weight. Why would you need TC off a corner?
The trick there is to not get your wrist into it until you are either upright or as close to it as your frame and suspension allows you to get. If you have a stiff frame and your suspension is set up right, there shouldn't be an issue. Most of the kids around here ride on their arms, which hinders control out of a corner. Ride on your thighs. You only squeeze the bars if you are about to fall off. Steering is done by pushing down on one side, forward on the other. No need to grab anything.
The last thing I need is being in the middle of a potentially dangerous situation and having to fight with a machine over control of MY motorcycle.
Especially if that machine was programmed in accordance with the wishes of some bureaucrat whose total experience with motorcycles consists of having one pull up next to him at a stoplight.:Flash:

Thanks for the riding lesson, but it is not needed. I do not ride on my arms.

As for coming out of a turn, that was the first example that I could think of on a Saturday morning. Things are not too clear right now. :D I was thinking less of the 09 and more of a 190hp bike that can break the back tire loose, even when straight up, especially on an inconsistent road surface as can be found on rural roads. I told you things were not to clear. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

There's always an option! First person that brings their bike to me to get the TC turned off get's it done for free. Then all here will benefit from the mod that makes it happen. Bring a schematic! Lol!

Off road you may not want TC/ABS and some bikes don't have a way to turn it off. :)

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you spin your rear wheel every time you come out of a turn? Do you skid every time you brake?

You have to remember that all of these systems (ABS, TC, MSC) are there for when you go past available traction (too much brake, too much throttle, etc).

A good rider who learned on a bike without all of the above systems will likely never trigger any of them, or at least won't trigger them often.. provided the systems are well sorted and don't come on way too early.

The potential for a bad scenario is a rider who learned to depend on these systems instead of learning to be smooth (too abrupt on brakes and on throttle) crashing as he/she jerkily operates controls because the system fails for one reason or another.

This is exactly why I don't mind the fact that my next bike will probably have ABS/TC. Most competent riders will never trigger the rider assists. But it's the time that you actually need it that I want it to be there.

As you mention, if it's as easy to shut off as pulling a fuse, then there is no reason for ABS/TC to be a buyer turn off. Just my $.02.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
This is exactly why I don't mind the fact that my next bike will probably have ABS/TC. Most competent riders will never trigger the rider assists. But it's the time that you actually need it that I want it to be there.

As you mention, if it's as easy to shut off as pulling a fuse, then there is no reason for ABS/TC to be a buyer turn off. Just my $.02.

As long as the ABS does not require a more involved brake bleeding process, as some BMW bikes are known to have.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the ABS does not require a more involved brake bleeding process, as some BMW bikes are known to have.

That is a good point. If it becomes a pain to do routine tasks (like brake bleeds), then I could see that being a turn off. I didn't know about that being an issue on some BMW bikes.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the riding lesson, but it is not needed. I do not ride on my arms.

As for coming out of a turn, that was the first example that I could think of on a Saturday morning. Things are not too clear right now. :D I was thinking less of the 09 and more of a 190hp bike that can break the back tire loose, even when straight up, especially on an inconsistent road surface as can be found on rural roads. I told you things were not to clear. :D

My BAD! I came over much more critical then I intended to be. Poor writing skills. :spank: