Fizzing noise from front braking?? newbie rider Q.

DazSpy

Reaction score
Visit site
hi there,

I just joined the biking community [I introduced myself on the welcome page]

a quick question/concern,

I'm very new to riding [4days] and have noticed a noise coming from the front, under braking. its kind of a whirring/fizzing noise... I suspect this might just be the natural noise coming from the brake disks [cross drilled holes + air], but,

1) I have no point of reference
2) they have been resurfacing the roads in my area and there is a lot of gravel chipping loose on the road surface

any explanations??

it was dark when I returned home last night and have only just remembered the noise...

I will look closely once home, but thought I'd ask here too

many thanks.
Daz

DazSpy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well thats a relief! thanks very much for swift reply...

I like science and was trying to work out how the sound must be generated?

I'm guessing its something like the heat from the friction expands the air trapped in the disc holes and it 'pops' as its released??

idle curiousity :p

Thanks again!

D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm guessing its something like the heat from the friction expands the air trapped in the disc holes and it 'pops' as its released??

Thanks again!

D

Probably is the cause, but also not hearing what your specific noise is it it hard to say for sure that it is alright, but mine make a slight whirring noise as i brake and i am sure it is from the drilled rotors).

chokeslam512

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Visit site
+ 1 on the rotors. If it is a new bike the rotors still have the machining marks on them, but when they start to wear down the noise will go away.

..you did buy a fizzer though... what did you expect? ;)

[email protected]

Reaction score
Visit site
hi and welcome,that fizzin sound is normal,its the pads workin on the discs,ive had lots of bikes doing it,and i had them checked out by my dealer,but now i dont bother,just get used to it.nothing to worry about

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks again!

D

I've thought the same. First time I heard the noise was while practicing the quick stops. Reminds me of cicadas when I'm on the brakes. I haven't noticed it from rear wheel though.

B

bluenova

My front brake use to screech when it was new, it was quite embarrassing in town, but it went away after a while.

DazSpy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought the same. First time I heard the noise was while practicing the quick stops. Reminds me of cicadas when I'm on the brakes. I haven't noticed it from rear wheel though.

I guess the noise must be lost from the rear brake by moving away from the sound...like shouting into the wind or sitting in front of the rotors on a turbo prop airplane [aeroplane in English ;]

nice to know it isn't something to be worried about, phew! :)