Any ideas? Noise coming from front end?

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a noise thats definetely coming from the front tire area. It is dependant on speed and the angle of the bike on say a turn. At low speeds it is barely noticeable. On the highway it is very pronounced. I can get it to completely go away when I have zero lean or sideload. Once I go in to a lean in comes on strong? It would have to be the tire or wheel bearing right? I have 6K miles on my original bridgestones. They do not look worn but who knows? It really doesnt bother me and most people would probably not notice. I am just worried about a tire or part failure down the road while riding.

Any ideas?

Clay

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might look at the production date on the tires. Even though they are low in miles they may be old and stiff from age.

I think its next to the DOT sticker with WWYY or vice vs. Like 2407 would be the 24 week of 2007.

If you come to a stop from 60mph using the rear brake only are the front rotors warm or hot? Maybe what you hear is the wherrrrrrrr of brake drag as in the corners the axle, forks, bearings and all that flex potentially increasing pad to rotor contact. So I'm curious if your brakes drag in the front.

Also - do you ever pressure wash the bike and has it ever been submerged as in ridden through a creek or anything like that?

PB4UGO

Reaction score
Visit site
A badly cupped tire can cause a noise that could be mistaken for a bearing.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You did not notice anything similar to this did you? LOL :BLAA: sorry I have no real input..... :rockon: :rockon:

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Front end defintely never been submerged. I do think I should check the front break drag. I do use my rear break most of the time and rely on my front only when I really need it. I do also notice my front tire has little uniform ridges in the tread pattern that I dont think is normal. Almost like it was over inflated at one time. I will definetely look into all your suggestions.

It might be time for new tires regardless. I have heard these tires suck in general and want something that will handle wet conditions better.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Might want to check your tire pressure. I had noisy front end during braking a while back, and thought my brakes had a problem, but checked pressure, found it 6 psi low, and noise went away with added air. Unsurprisingly, turning became more pleasant, too.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Put your bike on the centerstand and rotate the front wheel, you should not hear any bearing noise. Check to see if there is any side play - there should be none. The front brake disks are semi floating and if stuck can cause some issues. Also check to make sure your steering head bearings are OK and not allowing any play (don't believe you have this problem but just in case).

Time for new tires. The OEM tires are bad the day they were put on and only get worse with age. Have had some noise from cupped or scalloped tires but they were dual compound tires and since I do a lot of heavy braking with the front brake (is there a rear brake :) ) they tend to wear the softer side compound quicker than the harder center compound.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
When one side of my front wheel bearings went bad I couldn't find anything irregular with the bike on the center stand. The only way to replicate the the noise was to ride the bike, and even then I couldn't tell exactly where the noise was coming from.

I had to remove the wheek to figure it out. As soon as the wheel was off I could tell the bearnig on one side was bad. It was no longer sealled and looked damaged.

Not saying for sure it is your wheel bearing but if you can't find anything visually and your getting front end noise I would remove the front wheel and inspect the bearings and the axel.