Fitting my Pyramid Plastics Extenda Fenda

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally received my Pyramid Plastics Extenda Fenda from M and P after buying the wrong one on ebay. I contacted Pyramid direct and they told me that the Extenda Fenda for the FZ6 07-08 was the same as the R6 03+. I ordered one for an R6 on ebay for about £7 and found it didn't fit. :(

It's great. Makes a big difference. I have a mate who rides a naked FZ6 and when I was following him to work one day we went through a huge puddle. His bike threw up loads of steam from all the water hitting the headers. Mine didn't. It's not a cool mod but definitely worth doing to extend the life of your headers and engine.

Pyramid give you some of the double-sided foam stuff and screws to attach it to the original fender. I decided that there was no way I was going to have the points of screws that close to my tyre and used half a tube of Araldite instead (horrible stuff but damn strong). I used Araldite Precision as I wanted to be able to adjust it until it was as I wanted.

You need to make sure that you use rough sandpaper on the underside of the fender and the part of the Extenda Fenda that will be glued to make sure the Araldite sticks. It should also go without saying that they should both be clean too!

The first time I tried it, I left the fender on the bike and used locking pliers (with rags to protect the plastic) to hold it in place and rested the end of the Extenda Fenda on a can of chain lube to stop it slipping. This was left in the garage overnight to set (during a British winter). This didn't work because epoxies won't mix and set properly in cold temperatures (my garage is damn cold), the clamps were hard to position and didn't hold the centres in place properly.

You can see how I mounted it the first time below:-

The extenda fenda didn't set after about 12 hours so I pulled it off and cleaned off the Araldite from the fender and the Extenda Fenda. This time, I took the non-lazy option and waited till the weekend. I took the fender off the bike (4 bolts and a hook holding it to the brake line) and left it (along with the tubes of Araldite) in the house for a few hours to warm up.

After sanding and cleaning both the surfaces (for the second time) I used up half the Araldite all over the part of the Extenda Fenda that will stick to the fender after mixing it VERY thoroughly. Then I put it in position on the underside of the fender and covered the thing in masking tape to hold it in place. It dried very quickly and I was able to remove the tape after about 4 hours. I cleaned/scraped off any excess Araldite and left it for another 4 hours to dry completely before fitting it back onto the bike.

It looks pretty good. it helps that it's the same colour as my bike. I didn't buy one for my last bike as it was silver and wouldn't have looked very good. I'd like to see someone paint their Extenda Fenda to match the bike. I bet it would look great!

Here it is after setting:-

Here you can see the underside of the fender:-

Fitted to the bike from the side:-

Another shot of it fitted to the bike:-

Last edited:

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm thinking on doing the same but with a power bronze mud guard extender, basically the same.
I don't want to drill holes but I'm wondering how would a plstic glue will hold.
How is yours holding so far?

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
do you have a link to where you purchased it?

Hey mrphotoman,
You can find the Pyramid one on twisted throttle's website, I have ordered from them and some times they ship the same day and some times they take one month so heads up. here is the link

TwistedThrottle.com : Fenda Extenda fender extender by Pyramid Plastics (Yamaha FZ6, '04-) - PP.05235

I ordered mine from superbike store, they have the power bronze one. They are basically the same but because I'm waiting and will wait more longer acording to them on a tank bag I ordered from twisted throttle, I ordered from here.

FZ6 07

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm thinking on doing the same but with a power bronze mud guard extender, basically the same.
I don't want to drill holes but I'm wondering how would a plstic glue will hold.
How is yours holding so far?
As long as you glue it in the warm it will work fine. Mine has held up over 2 years no probs. Make sure the fender and the extenda have time to warm up over a few hours before gluing. It's better to just undo a few bolts now rather than have to redo it later like I did! :)

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey mrphotoman,
You can find the Pyramid one on twisted throttle's website, I have ordered from them and some times they ship the same day and some times they take one month so heads up. here is the link

TwistedThrottle.com : Fenda Extenda fender extender by Pyramid Plastics (Yamaha FZ6, '04-) - PP.05235

I ordered mine from superbike store, they have the power bronze one. They are basically the same but because I'm waiting and will wait more longer acording to them on a tank bag I ordered from twisted throttle, I ordered from here.

FZ6 07

Thanks! I found a cf one on ebay for under $30 I wonder if it is any good?

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Huh! I don't think the form is affected much! :D It doesn't exactly stand out!

I agree, it looks good. Blends well and your install looks OEM.

I've just seen too many 'form over function' mods. This one does look good but it's primary purpose is function. I appreciate that sort of thing. :thumbup:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I would be worried about an epoxy resin type adhesive starting to separate crack with the flexing/vibration of the front guard over time.

On my BMW I have gone belt and braces, silicon adhesive between mating surfaces, hot glue gun on lip inside mudguard, and four black self tapers (not the ones supplied in the kit) a little shorter so only protrudes 2mm inside and then hot glue gun around the self tapers on inside.

Didn't fancy the extender coming loose and getting dragged inside the mudguard.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I got mine, Power bronze, the only thing I didn't like was the sticker which I removed easy.
I took the fender off the bike to clean, sanded the exterior of the extender and the interior of the fender with 220 sand paper, then I washed both with warm water and hand soap, I mixed the epoxic glue special for plastic and rubbed both sides to be in contanct; Placed the fender under my kitchen table leg, on top of a big pillow.the weh of the table shaped the pillow to the fender contour for an even presure.
I didn't use any silicon since the glue is manufactured for outdoors including boat repairs.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a fenda extenda on my concours14. i applied it with ABS cement from home depot. its a two part glue in a syringe type applicator. it chemically makes the two plastic parts one...its not coming off. note: the glue gets pretty hot when drying and sets quick.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a fenda extenda on my concours14. i applied it with ABS cement from home depot. its a two part glue in a syringe type applicator. it chemically makes the two plastic parts one...its not coming off. note: the glue gets pretty hot when drying and sets quick.
Yup, I reckon the safest bet if you're using glue is a two-part one done in the warm, otherwise it's just not gonna be strong enough to stand up to all the pressures, wind and vibes that will be hitting it!

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a fenda extenda coming along with my new fender and plan on using the ABS epoxy to attach it as well. If it falls off I will let everyone know. Hopefully that will not be the case.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
just a note, i ride my c14 virtually everyday. the fenda extenda is over two years old and ive put 50k miles on it. the bike has been has been all over this country from -11 feet below sl to 14,110 feet above sl. i have ridden it at 112 degrees all the way down to -7 (was not fun), on harsh dirt roads all the way to interstates. to this day, the epoxy is the strongest part of the fender assembly. if you prep the inside of the fender correctly (light sanding and a wash) it WILL NOT come off, EVER!:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a fenda Extenda on my 04 FJR, been on the bike since about 2005.

I used PVC glue (for the white pipes), works great (actually melts both parts together), no problems what so ever...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
just a note, i ride my c14 virtually everyday. the fenda extenda is over two years old and ive put 50k miles on it. the bike has been has been all over this country from -11 feet below sl to 14,110 feet above sl. i have ridden it at 112 degrees all the way down to -7 (was not fun), on harsh dirt roads all the way to interstates. to this day, the epoxy is the strongest part of the fender assembly. if you prep the inside of the fender correctly (light sanding and a wash) it WILL NOT come off, EVER!:thumbup:
Lol. Mine is a bit older (3 years last month), but I've only done 12k miles. It's still holding up as well as the day I glued it!

Christian Denmark

Reaction score
Visit site
I have done the same, no screws but glued with Araldit after I have demounted the fender and kept it indoor for 2 days with pressure on the attack point. It has ben working for about 15.000 km til now with no signs for problems.