First track day next friday. Couple questions!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I couldn't pass up the opportunity as one of our dealers is hosting a customer appreciation track day at Grattan Raceway next friday for $50!!!! (Including lunch!) I know, right?

Anyway, I have a feeling I'll be pretty hooked on track days after this and I'm okay with that... but I have questions for the first one.

First off, they sent me this checklist

(X's are either currently done, or in the process of being done now)
RG3J44N.png

A couple things about it:

Should I just remove the entire front fairing area? Or just tape and remove headlight fuses/bulbs?

Going to remove mirrors

Going to change brake fluid/flush system

Brake pads are fine

Going to remove passenger pegs (yay s2!)

Tires are at like 75% so they should be good. Even though they're "Dunlop roadSmart" tires... Would these be okay for the track day? I don't really want to pay to switch to nice michelin pilot powers for one track day then have to pay to switch back... I know I'll likely need a new set anyway after the track day, but I'll likely just get another set of road smarts... thoughts?

Brand new chain/sprockets, yay!

Going to flush the radiator and use water for the coolant... just in case!

Still need to do a couple things...

But I'm also planning on Removing the center stand and kickstand (I have swingarm spool sliders and a rear stand, just need to install them) and giving it a good clean and lube. :)

Is there anything else you guys would suggest?

Oh, and what's one thing you wish you knew before your first track day?

Thanks!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At the track day I did a couple of weeks ago (much more than $50, I'm jealous), we just covered all lights with painter's tape and the mirrors as well. You may also need full leathers. The outfit I went through allowed separate jacket & pants, as long as they zipped together and also required boots that covered the ankles. You may also want to bring gas, although I did approx 100 miles of hard riding and still had 1/2 a tank.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
At the track day I did a couple of weeks ago (much more than $50, I'm jealous), we just covered all lights with painter's tape and the mirrors as well. You may also need full leathers. The outfit I went through allowed separate jacket & pants, as long as they zipped together and also required boots that covered the ankles. You may also want to bring gas, although I did approx 100 miles of hard riding and still had 1/2 a tank.

Thanks for the idea about the gas tank :)
I think I'm going to run about half a tank all day and just bring a 5 and a 2 gallon with me. :) (I've heard to run half a tank, makes it more agile)

As for the gear.. Well, here's me on a test ride from a "ride a triumph day" event they had a couple weeks ago... I think I'm okay on the gear ;)

1017618_10200237125711350_2083029685_n.jpg

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest trailering the bike there if you can. Find out if they have instructors, if they do, USE them! Tell them it's your first time - body position is #1 focus instructors should help you with, then lines, braking points, etc. Check cold pressure in the morning, then Check tires for pressure/wear IMMEDIATELY after you finish a session - you'll prob want to make sure your tires are in the low 30's HOT (I don't know what pressure those Dunlops require).

You should be fine on your current set of tires, when I first started doing track days, I just taped my lights (didn't mess with fuses/bulbs). Bring plenty of water and snacks - you'll need these between sessions. Bring a good lunch (even if they do provide, still might want to have a backup in case they run out or you don't like what they serve - worst case you eat it on the way home). Bring a chair, possibly a fan if they have power.

Most importantly, stay relaxed, ride at your pace, and have fun!!

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd suggest trailering the bike there if you can. Find out if they have instructors, if they do, USE them! Tell them it's your first time - body position is #1 focus instructors should help you with, then lines, braking points, etc. Check cold pressure in the morning, then Check tires for pressure/wear IMMEDIATELY after you finish a session - you'll prob want to make sure your tires are in the low 30's HOT (I don't know what pressure those Dunlops require).

You should be fine on your current set of tires, when I first started doing track days, I just taped my lights (didn't mess with fuses/bulbs). Bring plenty of water and snacks - you'll need these between sessions. Bring a good lunch (even if they do provide, still might want to have a backup in case they run out or you don't like what they serve - worst case you eat it on the way home). Bring a chair, possibly a fan if they have power.

Most importantly, stay relaxed, ride at your pace, and have fun!!

Thanks! The track day is through sport bike track time, so they have LOTS of instructors. From what I understand, it's a 20 minute riding session, then some class/instructional time, and time to rehydrate and such.

I'm planning on picking up 2 cases of water, and some high protein snacks!

Also: I'm extremely blessed because my dad is taking time off from work to go with me. :) He's got an '02 Ford F250 SuperDuty Diesel and an enclosed trailer to pull everything in. We've got chairs and I believe a quick popup tent shade thing as well!

Thanks for the advice! My goal is to get my knee down eventually... not sure if that will happen or not... but i'm looking forward to just going and riding!!!!

FZ6Hot

FZ6Hot
Reaction score
Visit site
That check list looks like it was designed for race bikes. Northwest tracks just check for liquids leaking, clutch and brakes adjusted correctly, brake pads and tire wear. I recommend grabbing an instructor and focus on getting smooth. Don't forget to lower your tire pressures. Track days are a lot of fun.