First time rider in the street

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on the purchase!!!

Not sure where you live in Chicago but be carefull!! Cab drivers could care less who you are or what you are driving and bike messengers will cut you off in a second. I recommend you stay out of downtown Chicago for a while until you gain some more riding time!! See if you can find some people to ride with who have experinece riding (not new to the saddle) and practice with them. If you can, find a parking lot and practice your stops and turns on the new bike - not saying you do not know how to do this but you should practice with your bike; it will handle differently than the bike you had for the MSF class.

Finally, as funny as you may think this is, I would find a cemetary where you live and ride in their for a while; this will give you great practice for low speed riding and usually there are plenty of turns and stop signs.

Ride safe and congratulations again!!

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, as funny as you may think this is, I would find a cemetary where you live and ride in their for a while; this will give you great practice for low speed riding and usually there are plenty of turns and stop signs.

Ride safe and congratulations again!!

Doubles as a great reminder why NOT to ride like a tool

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
I knew nothing about riding, took my class started riding. stuck to back roads for the first month or so getting used to the bike and what it can do. within 2 months i was on the highway without a problem. take it slow, better to ride slow and have fun than to race and be to stressed to do it again.

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
I remember my first street rides...... quite nerve racking. Then someone reminded me that I have just as much right to the road as any other vehicle rider. I was unconsciously keeping way too far to the left, so cars were feeling free to come past in the same lane. I started placing myself more confidently towards the right wheel track (I guess it would be the left wheel track for US riders). This says "hey, this is my lane", and also makes you far more easily visible to cars pulling out from side roads. If you are too close to the kerb you are not half as noticeable.

It feels like you are going too fast, basically, because at the moment you are getting 'sensory overload', having to think about physically riding the bike as well as looking out for traffic, navigating, etc. It will get much better and soon you will have more spare brain power for the traffic aspect as your riding gets more unconscious. Having said that, however long you have been riding for, it never pays to get complacent, and every ride is an opportunity to check your riding skills, notice where you make mistakes and think about what you can do different next time.

And if you can get out with some friends who are willing to ride in front of and behind you, and who are focussed on helping you, and not on showing off, that will be a big confidence booster, too, but remind them it is early days and not to get too close as you might make some eratic moves :D Best of luck, and enjoy.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
...the fear of speed will diminish, but never lose the fear of cars cutting in front of you - try though to channel it into a defensive driving strategy. I've only been riding two seasons now and am still on, "red alert" every time I enter an intersection where traffic can turn left in front of me. I've spent a great deal of time reading about motorcycle crashes (just Google it, there are thousands of them), keying in on what the biker either did wrong, or, could have done differently (lane position, distance from vehicle ahead, gravel, powdered salt, curve entry speed etc.) and apply this knowledge to my rides. Bikes are a great hobby, but like anything, there are risks.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I stuck to secondary main roads that runs through communities for 2 weeks. Usually only went out late at night when there were few cars out. A friend usually went with me and stayed in front to give me something to "chase" I found I kept feeling like I was going to fast and would be going 20km/h under the limit so having someone in front of me keptmy pace up and I slowly learned stops, uncontrolled lefthanders hill starts and leaning.
Just this week I took it out of the subdivision for the first time and have been riding traffic congested roads and highways everyday! Good practise platform takes all the nervousness away

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
You should check out chicagolandsportbikes.com if you have not already. There are a lot of friendly/helpful people on there. Groupe rides for newbs all the way up to experts and everything in between. :thumbup: Lots of other stuff too.

+10000

DI's moved out of the area but I'm still around and active with CLSB. Come on over and meet some of us!

:welcome:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got my first bike a couple days ago and so far it is very nerve racking driving around on the streets for me. I have a hard time going up to the speed limit because even at about 25-30, it feels like I'm going fast. I'm always worried that someone is going to cut out in front of me. Did most of you feel this nervous when you started out? How long before I get more comfortable with riding on the streets?

Lots of great tips from people...

You might also watch video clips on youtube.com of other motorcycle riders going through traditional traffic scenarios. After the video, close your eyes and use the power of visualization.

First, you must be able to clear your mind - this must be done to be successful in visualization. Your body and your mind must be relaxed and ready for visualization. Sitting in a relaxed position, close your eyes and imagine the air around you being smoke. Breathing through your nose breath in the air and envision it traveling through your head, down your lungs, circling your lungs, and releasing. While you breath try and clear your mind and focus on an imaginary day's ride on your FZ6. You should be focusing on this alone. Once you can do this without anything distracting you, you are ready to move on.

The next step is to break visualization down into senses. You will work through all senses starting with sight all the aspects of riding your bike. In your comfortable position, close your eyes and try and see a changing stoplight/cars changing lanes in front of you, etc. When you have done that move on to the next sense and going on through the list of a typical day's ride.

Many sports people use this type of inward focusing to try to achieve peak performance during a critical performance. Adapting a little for motorcycle riding can help you overcome excessive fear and achieve Wu-Wei or action through inaction as the Chinese Taoist call it.

Anyway on a more earthy level, for extra curricular reading check out this book from Amazon...many great defensive riding concepts explained clearly in an easy-to-read fashion. :)

51WJM9JTCQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

MNDZA

My mom says I'm cool
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally some good weather here. I took the bike out today and it was MUCH better. I am definitely becoming more used to it and I don't feel like I'm learning the controls anymore so I could just focus on the road instead.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
read twist the throttle 2 it has a bunch of good stuff. It's for racers but the concepts really apply on the street.

I rode dirt growing up and on the 14th of this month I made the transition to street with a new 08 fz6 raven! Couldn't be more happy or more scared when I got on it for the first time. Having respect for your bike is always good, but so is knowing how it performs. I have read twist the throttle 2 and immediatly noticed an improvement in both my riding and confidence. Knowing how your bike works, the physics behind the movements and the best ways for handeling different situations, made me a much better rider. Knowledge is power, and power is fun! :rockon: Now i'm grabbin everything i can read about motorcycles.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally some good weather here. I took the bike out today and it was MUCH better. I am definitely becoming more used to it and I don't feel like I'm learning the controls anymore so I could just focus on the road instead.

I felt the same way when I first started, wasn't very long ago either. I just started off cruising around my neighborhood since there is a nice road that goes all the way around in a big circle like shape with lots of bends both left and right. There are also some stop signs thrown in here and there. I just did loops in both directions for a few days before heading out onto some of the larger surrounding streets with heavier traffic. Even then, I went out somewhat late so traffic was much lighter..like 8-9pm or so.

Eventually you will get very comfortable with each levels of speed/traffic and then you'll start getting smoother with quick stops, acceleration, etc.

I still haven't gotten out on the highway..I have a bit under 200 miles under my belt though in the last week and a half. Having a lot of fun with it. The nervousness dies down with more practice and experience.

Good luck and be safe while still having fun. :thumbup:

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my FZ last October and had been off a bike for 15 years. I found that riding with someone WITH experience is tremendous. Especially if you are new to the streets, you can mimic some of the nuances that an experienced rider will do, like downshifting properly into a turn or riding in traffic, etc.
I can attest.....I am a totally different rider now than i was 8 months ago. I am "cautiously confident" in many situations that terrified me previously. :thumbup:

S

sm00thpapa

I got my FZ6R in March and was scared to death to ride it on the streets. I finally grab my *** and rode at night just around the neighborhood with all stop signs. I kept stalling at one stop sign as it was up a slight hill. I remember stalling there over 6 times before I was able to take off. So I kept riding in a circle till I mastered that stop sign. I am a little confident now but still have a lot to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Owl

Junior Whopper
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd recommend practicing emergency stopping too. My first week on my bike I encountered a deer and had to shut it down from 60, I'm pretty sure if I didnt know what to expect from the bike I would have ate the deer, or laid it down at best. I did skid a bit but I stopped enough to steer clear. Keep on keepin' on!

Sparky

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out "Sport Bike Riding Techniques" at Amazon. Fantastic book which explains all aspects of riding in a clear and concise way. Especially important is the relationship between lean angle and acceleration/braking traction. I still use it as a reference book and consider it a must read for any noob. Have fun and stay safe out there and remember to keep your eyes focused on the solution not the obstacle/problem, your bike will go where your eyes are. This discipline has saved my a$$ more than once.

Namaste'

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get out at dawn

Go for rides as soon as the sun is up while there are hardly any cages on the road.

I also recommend the book Street Strategies by Hough. Lots of good stuff on how to deal with situations you encounter on the street.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

John

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Early is good!! No traffic. I was off bikes for 30+ years and when I got the TW in April I was only riding in my neigborhood at 15 -30 mph. Lots of stop signs. Slowly I went farther and faster on the 4 lane streets. Was very nervous. After about 250 miles I felt much more comfortable at 35-45. Weeks later and a new full faced helmet I felt better at 45-55!, and that's about all the TW likes to do(I know, it'll do 65 all day! but I didn't like pushing her). So after 700 miles I traded in the TW for the FZ. And the 1/2 mile home was a scarry ride! After a few more trips I just melted into her. I think it just takes time to feel out all the things that are necessary to keep up with while riding. After a while, it's like driving a 5 speed car. Just keep your eyes on EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY around you at all times because people in cars DON'T have too!! Good luck.