First time Fz6 owner..TIPs ne 1

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
so i just picked up a 04 fz6 with 11000m on it it seems to be a good solid bike checking it out but after getting it home and putting about 500m on it ive noticed a couple of leaks, after sitting all night 8hr plus there is a puddle of gas under the bike ive traced it up to the bottom of the tank(i will be pulling it off later today to investigate), also after real hard riding it blows antifreez out of the runoff(i think i can right that off to being over full), but basicly thats all ive noticed so far but if anyone can think of anything that i need to look out for or major maintence needed on these bike let me know, ive been into bikes for a while just dualsports and thumpers this is my first sport bike and got it by trading my 86 monte carlo for it so what do yall think.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Be careful with that antifreeze on your tires. Check the coolant bottle and see if the level is on or above the cold level mark. If so it was probably overfilled. If below fill it to the cold mark and take it for another test ride. If it's not overheating you may have a hose or a head gasket leak that's allowing cylinder pressure into a cooling jacket. See if it pushes coolant out again. Of course do this after you fix that fuel leak. On the fuel leak: Make sure all the lines are connected to the tank.

Also you might even want to change the coolant and make sure it's a 50:50 type. Who knows what's in there now. Also bleed the brakes. Change the oil if you don't know it's history.

I'm attaching a page that has the fuel tank break down. Beside the fuel line off the pump there will be 2 additional lines. A vent and and overflow. If you filled the tank and any of these line are not right you could have a fuel leak.

Last but not least! Gear up and again, welcome to this great forum!

Edit: sorry I forgot the attachment...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
If you leave the bike out in the sun for longer than 5 min fuel will drip out of that hose. Unless it's pouring out, I wouldn't worry about that.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you leave the bike out in the sun for longer than 5 min fuel will drip out of that hose. Unless it's pouring out, I wouldn't worry about that.

He said he traced it to the bottom of the tank. I don't think he's seeing it coming out of the overflow hose. He should find the leak...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i found the leak it looks like someone replaced the fuel pump or fuel sending unit and didnt feel like buying a new gasket and used non petrol rated silicone or something so i pulled the tank and made a new gasket also the bike has a acerbis streetfighter fairing, because it was so close to the handle bars the speedo was mounted at a wierd angle so while i had it in my shop i figured id make some new brackets for it to extend the front end a bit to mount the speedo better. and yeah the antifreze was just from it being overfull