First Ride on FZ6 - Impressions

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I posted earlier that I was trading the 07 VFR and getting a left over 09 Z6. Furthermore, as I stated in my first post, I have only owned Honda MC's or Harley Davidson MC's. I was anxious!!

Got the bike at about noon today and began a little ride. Only did about 100 miles because I worked midnights last night and was lacking some sleep.

photo3.jpg

First, after reading how some report a sudden clutch engagement, I was amazed by how smooth it engaged and the bike propelled itself forward. Shifting was very precise. After the initial launch, I could not get over how comfortable the seating position and handlebars were. I am 6'1", and right at or just under 200 lbs.

Withing about 2-3 miles, I felt like I had been riding this bike for months; very rider friendly! I did a variety of roads, city, highway and mild twisties.

The bike is among the easiest to ride when navigating traffic from light to light that I have ever been on. I could only imagine that a vespa would be easier, but I highly doubt it. I then made my way to the Interstate and got about a 15 mile sampling of that environment. I can see that it will be fun on the Interstate once I have the break-in mileage is done. I kept the bike under 7500 rpm and never pushed it. One thing I noticed was a MILD BUZZING which could be felt through the bars and through the tank. When I say, mild, I mean it was not annoying at all. I could only guess that is may smooth out just a tad when I get her broke in well.

Then the fun part.......Twisties! ;) I am not, or perhaps it is best said that I have not BEEN very aggressive in the twisties in the past, but this bike already demonstrated to me that it is more responsive than the VFR. I really had a good time with her in this setting. Once again, after I have her broke it, I think she will be a wild woman (my favorite kind!).

photo4.jpg

I got her home after the odometer rolled over to 104 (3 miles when I left the dealer). I then found that the dealer didn't really do a very good job cleaning her up, so I gave her a very gentle honeymoon style bath and a careful coating of my finest carnuba wax.

I want to thank you guys for welcoming me here and hope that my little amateur review may help someone else that is lurking. Very pleased with this purchase and look forward to sharing many many miles exploring with this beauty!!

:thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine shifts great and has almost no buzz/vibration as well. I added grip puppies and a yamaha comfort/gel seat too. Once the gel seat was broken in it was a huge improvement in seat comfort. I can ride all day long on it now with no issues. The 15t front sprocket makes the bike pretty much perfect too.

I think black looks best on these bikes and i love the cobalt blue too.

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
As I have read, the Comfort Seat became standard equipment in 2009, and yes it is comfortable!

Not found anything I don't care for yet......

:BLAA:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
As I have read, the Comfort Seat became standard equipment in 2009, and yes it is comfortable!

Not found anything I don't care for yet......

:BLAA:

I think you're wrong on that one. I have the 2009 and it ain't got the comfort seat. I think only European model got that as standard.

Hey Rex, you & me got the exact same bike. Except mine has minor road rash due to an unattentive SUV driver :(

I suggest you right away get some frame sliders. I recommend the EXTENDED Oes Accessories frame sliders. I reviewed them in the thread 'I think I found the PERFECT frame sliders'. Two weeks ago I had a little accident with an SUV and it saved my ass.

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you're wrong on that one. I have the 2009 and it ain't got the comfort seat. I think only European model got that as standard.

Hey Rex, you & me got the exact same bike. Except mine has minor road rash due to an unattentive SUV driver :(

I suggest you right away get some frame sliders. I recommend the EXTENDED Oes Accessories frame sliders. I reviewed them in the thread 'I think I found the PERFECT frame sliders'. Two weeks ago I had a little accident with an SUV and it saved my ass.

You could be right, if topspeed.com is a European group. Here is what they said in their review of the 2009 FZR:

"Still, in 2009, the Yamaha FZ6 stands out thanks to the same old recipe: a light, comfortable and versatile overall package powered by a more than decent number of horses that satisfies all rider’s needs as long as they plan to stay on road. Furthermore, the “Comfort seat”, previously found only in the accessory list, is now standard."

:don'tknow:

As for the frame sliders, I have given that some thought, only because of the finish on the motor. Man, I hate people that ruin my day like yours was with the SUV! :eek:

In 2004 I was HIT by an SUV. Attorney investigation revealed - TALKING ON THE CELL PHONE! :spank: Thank god I only needed ACL reconstruction on my left knee.

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine shifts great and has almost no buzz/vibration as well. I added grip puppies and a yamaha comfort/gel seat too. Once the gel seat was broken in it was a huge improvement in seat comfort. I can ride all day long on it now with no issues. The 15t front sprocket makes the bike pretty much perfect too.

Mrphotoman,

What does the 15 tooth sprocket do? :confused: I don't know the size of the standard front sprocket. Lower rpm at speed or more torque?

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I found one error in your review, (which I thought was really good), pretty sure silver is the best look :D lol

Good review

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
blue is better... :spank:

awsome review of an awsome bike.. only probs with the buzz i found was after about 150 miles of riding in a 250 mile trip.. grip puppies or new grip would take care of it... thanks for the review :thumbup:

oh.. and congrats on the new bike...

Last edited:

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

The FZ6 is a very versatile bike as it does not paint one into a corner like a specific type bike like a cruiser or crotch rocket. I've had my 08 for 5 months and have not been over 10k on RPM on public roads but know there is a power band if I need it on a track or on the interstate. I like the fact that it sits up more for better visibility in traffic. The vibration in the handle bars is pretty standard, there are ways to reduce the vibration which have been discussed many times on this forum. I got grip puppies and a cramp buster that helps with the hand going to sleep. The bike will up shift very smoothly without the clutch if you need to do that. Changing the front sprocket with 15 tooth will provide more torque at lower RPMs. I have heard criticism that the FZ6 does not much torque at lower RPMs but I think that is a perception of reality as the bike goes nicely with normal shifting RPMs. If high torque and low power band is a desire seems one would purchase a liter bike and deal with it. The Fz6 can bring it but gives the advantage of a tame lower RPM range.

Enjoy!!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
You got it all wrong, red is faster, that is why Ferrari's are red!!! Nice review, the buzzy feeling in the bars will still be there, that is why a lot of us got new bar ends. I'll be putting mine on tomorrow, thank you pay day!!!

We all knew you fall in love with the bike!!

rexbaum

Reaction score
Visit site
You got it all wrong, red is faster, that is why Ferrari's are red!!! Nice review, the buzzy feeling in the bars will still be there, that is why a lot of us got new bar ends. I'll be putting mine on tomorrow, thank you pay day!!!

We all knew you fall in love with the bike!!

Discgolfdude,

Pictures speak louder than words.........

-1-3.jpg

:iconbeer:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome review and love the color and wax job. So pretty. Mine looks so neglected compared. I was looking at the VFR, but my baby will stay after hearing it is better in twisties. Keep up the riding, she gets better as she ages.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike so far. I'm curious, did you change the preload on rear shock before the ride?
Standard setting is 3 (out of possible 7) and at 200 lbs, you should be running it in at least 4, for more or less aggressive cornering.

CrioGeniC

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and its always great to hear someone else's review of the FZ6.

I did the FZ1 bar mod a month or so ago and added a 1" riser and that pretty much completely got rid of the handlebar buzz. Something I noticed when I did change the bars out, the 4 bolts holding the stock bars on was barely tight. Something you might want to check.