first time adjusting my chain: some questions/comments

flivver

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had just enough time on Tuesday night to adjust the chain one more time, but not enough time to disassemble. I used your collective advice, and loosened the axle nut just enough to allow me to move the axle, but not as much as I'd been loosening it. I managed to get the slack right at the loose end of the range, with the chain pretty nicely aligned. I rode it about 20 miles that night, then rode it to work and back yesterday (about another 20 miles), for a total o around 40 miles. So far, so good: it's still tensioned correctly, and still in alignment.

My observations:

1. Getting the chain aligned is a pain in the butt. But, doing it as you've suggested (loosening the axle nut as little as you can, while still allowing the axle to move) helped out a lot!

2. I must have set my torque wrench incorrectly the last time (the time that prompted me to resurrect the thread). All I can think is that I didn't have the nut tight enough, and that in turned allow the axle to move rearward just enough to cause the tightness in the chain. There was no gap between the adjusting nuts and the rear of the swing arm, so it couldn't have moved much, but I guess it moved just enough to be problematic.

As ever, thanks for your thorough help, gentlemen!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I seem to have this same "slips slightly on the right hand side when I torque it up again" problem, even without removing the axle, as I'd get things lined up dead on according to the laser, and then find that things had moved slightly upon snugging things up. I had to do everything about four times before I decided it was close enough, and even then, the laser hits a spot very slightly to the right of where it hits in the rear, in the front. I think it's probably close enough, though, and is definitely better than it was.
Regarding this issue, had a bright idea this morning to try and tightly rope the two wheels together hoping that would keep the rear right side of the axle from slightly moving while tightening.
Amazingly, it didn't work[emoji1] - guess the rope has too much stretch in it, might try with one of those straps they use to secure load on trucks though I'm concerned with tightening it too much and screwing up the forks
562a974744668139abbf55f97c2a2965.jpg

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
^That seems like a bad idea. You may end up putting excessive stress on components like forks and head bearings while accomplishing nothing!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, gave up on it completely. Periodically kicking the tire every once in a while while tightening the axle nut seems to be the best solution [emoji106]