First Service on 08 FZ6

Dr.Volts

Dr.Volts
Reaction score
Visit site
I asked the Service Manager at my Yamaha dealer point blank if I could do the first service. I told him that I was qualified to do the service. He said it would be ok for me to do it, but be sure to document it in writing. How did he know I was "qualified" to do the service? I don't know for sure, but when I bought the bike I showed them my Lifetime American Motorcyclist Association card. We had a technical discussion about the bike as he explained the various service items to me. He stressed clutch adjustment as an important item. I did the service myself and documented it in my owner's manual and wrote down the mileage and date.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
DIY...Oil, filter, and per the book an FI body sync. You can buy the sync tool for about $99.00. Fred has posted a very nice video on how to do the sync. Oh, you might want to clean and oil your chain, and check the air in you tires. Other than that, don't pay $500.00. Simply save your receipts for the oil and filter for your records.

What kind of body sync you have in mind?

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I just took my new bike in for the first service. I would have done it myself but there is some sort of electrical problem going on throwing an ER_1 code so they offered to do the service for me while they fix the electrical under warranty. This bike shop is a rare one though...they do stuff like that all the time for regular customers.

If I did have to pay though...they said it's $100 flat. $500 is insanity for a motorcycle servicing.

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting ready to purchase my first bike. Today I talked with the dealer and he informed me that I should expect to pay 400-500 bucks for the 600 mile service. I dont know if that is negotiable (most things are).

Should I expect to have to pay for this service, especially this much? If it is just an inspection and oil change, can I do it myself without compromising the break in of the bike.

Thanks

My 600 mile service cost less than £40 in the UK

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I paid $120 two months ago, and I had done the oil and filter myself. I think they synced the injectors, because it has idled rough from that point on.

I'm tempted to do it all myself, and I could handle the FI sync, but I'm leery about the valve clearance adjustment, and it pays to do both while the tank is up. So I think I'm stuck with some level of dealer service.

p.