first proper ride!!

multiplicity

Reaction score
Visit site
I only passed my test this April and had, up to then, only ridden a 125 I bought a fz6 S2 and have never had it above 40 ish mph because (1) all I ever do on it is commute in 30 mph limits, and (2) I don't really like to ride fast! This weekend gone though, the guy I passed my test with phoned me up and said "do you want to go on a ride with me?" I had nothing else planned so I said OK. I'm 43, he's 22...I ride a FZ6 he rides some mental Ducati thing! Can you see where this is going? Right from the off he speeds away like a bolt out of the blue, at this point I had two choices - ride like I normally do or try to keep up. I went for option 2. I have to say that he went easy on me but I still had a blast bombing round country lanes and getting up to 100 mph (which is very fast for me !!!) with the engine screaming at 10,000 rpm and my neck nearly snapping (I've got the naked version). The point of this tale is that I loved it!!! I now can't wait to do it again! I got back home about 12 in the afternoon and the buzz and adreniline lasted to Monday !!! When I got back my wife saw the smile plastered on my face and said "go fast then, did you?" Oh yes! Just wondering - how fast can you get on the naked version before your neck comes off?

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to puberty again.:eek:

Be careful, it's easy to go fast, turning and stopping can be a little more difficult. Ride what is good for you.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear you're having a good time. I have mixed feelings about riding with somebody else. If the other rider is crazy, trying to show off too much, etc., this can lead into trouble for both riders. Do you know what I mean? Maybe, similar to when somebody is on camera or something and the person is playing to the camera more than mabye he/she should. Of course, there can be a flip side, too (other rider boring with whom to ride).

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yup, I always get "the look" or the "going fast, huh?" from my girlfriend when I tell stories to the buddies when she's around...she worries, but it's awesome because she wants to learn.

She says "If I learn to ride, then I'll understand it more and won't be so worried...and I'll probably be with you when you do it so that's not as bad!"

she's awesome.

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL...I have similar experience just like you bro....
I used to ride in Asia since I was 6-7 grade, is completely different style ride in US and Asia, Last April I got my self FZ6 and is first time riding in US
I was scare and kind of lost while I m riding, my buddy told me that I m dangerous to other driver and can causing accident...
But with practice after work riding around then it start building my confidence and get to know the bike slowly, it ll take time but surely worth it...:D
Now it become my commute trasportation and cant wait to start short road trip for labor day...my suggestion the more time you spend in traffic with your bike the more control you ll have on your bike....ride safe bro...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if you have frame sliders, but if you don't, I strongly recommend that you get some. This should be "front burner, 9-11, ASAP," etc. It will be the difference between replacing costly engine cases, faring parts, etc., and a relatively inexpensive frame slider replacement. I don't understand why Yamaha doesn't have OEM frame sliders ...but I think that all manufacturers are the same in this department. You know, in a car, it's usually the first scrape or ding/dent, right? Well, on a bike, it's probably going to be, "RIDER DOWN!" meaning that the bike will either drop on your driveway, a slow-speed accident, high ending a curve, or maybe just something else. But, if you have frame sliders this will, chances are, greatly mitigate your FZ6 damage. (sorry, I know, I sound like a preacher already, but ONLY reason why I got frame sliders is because of this forum)

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Your experience of loving riding at 100mph reminds me of a reason I've never tried cocaine: I'm not sure I'd want to know how fun that might be, better never to know and not be tempted in my book.

I've only ever ridden buddy who has a Harley Road King. I liked that because the thing couldn't corner for a darn so he, although a much more experienced rider, was slower, and I could go at the speed I felt comfortable with.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for my first "group ride" back in june, and I had never really be much over the speed limit. Mainly use the FZ6 for a commuter. Took my baby up to 170Kmph on that ride, and felt that was enough for me.

I was at the tail of the pack (7 bikes), and that's probably the way it will be on all group rides. I'm not a "speed-freak", I'll just go at my pace and catch up when the group pulls over for a break.

Yeah, it was exciting, but I need my license, so I'll just take it easy.

:)

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 200kmph (125mph) a couple of times on my FZ6 Fazer. Although the adrenaline rush is awesome (it wasn't even on the freeway :) ) I didn't buy my bike to race it around. But I think it's cool to explore the limits every once in a while...