First FZ-6 gripe - clunky gearbox

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode my FZ-6 on my street for the first time last week, hopefully i can get it titled and tagged this coming week. I'm upgrading from a Suzuki GS500F.

My bike is a '08 with 2260 miles. The clutch has a very short friction zone and the gearbox feels clunky (from nuetral to first and first to second makes a really noticable clunk).

I checked the oil and the level is good. Is this a symptom of a problem or is this just a FZ-6 quirk??

Thanks
Dre

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode my FZ-6 on my street for the first time last week, hopefully i can get it titled and tagged this coming week. I'm upgrading from a Suzuki GS500F.

My bike is a '08 with 2260 miles. The clutch has a very short friction zone and the gearbox feels clunky (from nuetral to first and first to second makes a really noticable clunk).

I checked the oil and the level is good. Is this a symptom of a problem or is this just a FZ-6 quirk??

Thanks
Dre

The short friction zone is just something the FZ6 has. You'll get used to it.

The second part if that's the only places it's "clunky" that's normal to every motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. These aren't automotive gearboxes with Synchronizers. They use a dog clutches to get the gears to sync up on bike transmissions and it can seem kinda clunky at times.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks
Dre

Sounds like you are still learning how to ride, keep practicing!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's normal for FZ6. Synthetic oil will help to a degree, but it will never be silky smooth going from N to 1st. Going from 1st to 2nd is relatively smooth if you preload the shifter.
.. and yes.. friction zone is very short, but this is something you'll get used to and it's actually very good for quick shifting.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. My Suzuki GS, which i still have, makes the same clunk from nuetral to first, but it is nowehere has violent as the FZ. Plus, the gearbox in the GS changes way smoother than the FZ, so far.

I know i need to work on my clutch action. When i get a better hande on the clutch action of the FZ, maybe my gear changes might get smoother.

Just wanted to make sure, it wasn't symptomatic of deeper issues. Thanks for the help.

Dre

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. My Suzuki GS, which i still have, makes the same clunk from nuetral to first, but it is nowehere has violent as the FZ. Plus, the gearbox in the GS changes way smoother than the FZ, so far.

I know i need to work on my clutch action. When i get a better hande on the clutch action of the FZ, maybe my gear changes might get smoother.

Just wanted to make sure, it wasn't symptomatic of deeper issues. Thanks for the help.

Dre

lol, violent? You are doing something wrong. I think the fz6 has a pretty good gearbox and clutch, I do not have any clunking or clutch issues. I may have to post up a gopro vid one day with it mounted by the shifter then by the clutch lol. Keep practicing, you will get there.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site

Dre

Just keep working on it. I upgraded a month ago from a gs500 as well. The FZ is a big step up from the GS. Neutral to first is always a 'noticeable' shift. All other shifts can be very smooth if you work at it. I'm getting better, but still working on it as well.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks JoeSTL. You definitely understand what i'm talking about.

I'll keep practicing!!!!

I also need to work on my low speed maneuvers as the FZ idles pretty high and it does take much throttle for it to take off.

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks JoeSTL. You definitely understand what i'm talking about.

I'll keep practicing!!!!

I also need to work on my low speed maneuvers as the FZ idles pretty high and it does take much throttle for it to take off.

No problem. I think low speed maneuvers is actually easier on the FZ. On the GS, I always felt like I was going to fall over...lol.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All Yamahas have clunky 'boxes, and from my experience, the FZ6 is clunkier than most.
If you've come from a bike with a better, longer clutch take up, it does seem quite aggressive.

Anyone that says it's not clunky is either used to it, and don't see it anymore, or don't know any different.

One trick is when you start up the bike from cold, pump the clutch a few times to get oil on the pad. It helps a little, but compared to my last Suzy, the FZ6 is clunky as crap!

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No problem. I think low speed maneuvers is actually easier on the FZ. On the GS, I always felt like I was going to fall over...lol.

When I did my defensive riding course, we did a see-saw (teeter totter for you Americanese)
You had to ride up a plank no wider than your back wheel, clutch it at the top and find the balance point, let the see-saw tip and slowly ride off.

On my Kwaka Z750, it was no problem. I can honestly say the same maneuver on the FZ6 would be considerably harder due to the tiny clutch take up.

The FZ6 clutch shows it's roots in the R6, from my perspective.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did my defensive riding course, we did a see-saw (teeter totter for you Americanese)
You had to ride up a plank no wider than your back wheel, clutch it at the top and find the balance point, let the see-saw tip and slowly ride off.

On my Kwaka Z750, it was no problem. I can honestly say the same maneuver on the FZ6 would be considerably harder due to the tiny clutch take up.

The FZ6 clutch shows it's roots in the R6, from my perspective.

Cheers,
Rick

Actually it's see-saw to us too... lol

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually it's see-saw to us too... lol

I've heard 'teeter totter' on the TV and just thought it was in common usage, my apologies.

The middle support of this see-saw was about three feet high, so looked narly!

Probably 15' plank, so on a bike it felt like you were riding straight up!

The guys on dirt bikes had no concerns, but I was worried! (my 1978 Z750 was quite heavy, and although there were blokes standing beside the see-saw in case you fell, I had my doubts as to whether they could hold me and the bike if I stuffed up and stalled or went off the side of the plank.)

I so far, in the 15 years or so since then, haven't had to climb up a plank when riding, but it's nice to know I can, if I need to!

Cheers,
Rick

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have rode a lot of bikes over a lot of years and my fz6 has just as good of a gear box and clutch as the best of them that I have owned. I just don't see it lol. I think it is user issue and not a bike issue myself but who knows, as long as mine works well that is what is important ;)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
As everyone has told/will tell you, "it does that". Get used to it and just enjoy a great bike!
Safe riding!

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
the FZ6 gearbox

is a little crotch ity.
Throw in some easy speed shifting. Before long you won`t even notice them sliding in.
It takes a little time to get used to each machine.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: the FZ6 gearbox

neutral to 1st clunky,1st to 2nd at high revs can be brutal all other gears are smooth,i fitted some gliies rearset which are as precise as hell,but yeah picking up the slack on the stock shifter works to,the other thing is your not suppose to shift up from full throttle,i roll the throttle a little before i shift this unloads the gearbox,
the only thing i can really knock the box for is 1st to 2nd gear changes at high revs it dont half go with a clonk
nick