First Aid kit...

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,

So I have been pondering on an idea of assembling a light first aid kit that I could carry under the seat at all times.

I know the idea may seem silly, considering that if we do take a spill from our bikes most likely we will be beyond the capability of administering ourselves first aid anyway. But on the off chance that something might happen or we might find ourselves stranded with some light injury, I would like to have the necessary things to increase my chances of survival or avoidance of a more serious injury.

So that being said,

what sort of things would you guys include in your moto first aid kit?

or what off the shelf first aid kit for motorcyclists would you recommend?

I am more inclined to assembly my own DIY first aid kit that way I won't waste money and space on things such as band aids which might be useful but not necessarily adequate for a motorcyclist in case of an emergency/injury etc, where for example different kind of products to stop bleeding might be more adequate to use etc.

edit:

here's a pretty good list of I have found so far.

http://www.ncrider.com/Motorcycle First Aid Kit.htm

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
The main thing I'd worry about in having a first aid kit under the seat is the heat generated by the exhaust. I would assume most if the articles you'd put in a first aid kit you would not want to get that hot, but I'm no expert so I may be wrong - just something to think about.

I bought a weather proof first aid kit designed for hiking from Walmart in the camping section. It has some basics, but would be better then nothing if something (not too bad) happened. I don't carry it with me unless I go on a longer ride, so it doesn't stay on the bike at all times. I usually just put it in my tail bag with the small cooler (holds 3 bottles of frozen water) and a couple bottles of room temp water.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The main thing I'd worry about in having a first aid kit under the seat is the heat generated by the exhaust. I would assume most if the articles you'd put in a first aid kit you would not want to get that hot, but I'm no expert so I may be wrong - just something to think about.

I bought a weather proof first aid kit designed for hiking from Walmart in the camping section. It has some basics, but would be better then nothing if something (not too bad) happened. I don't carry it with me unless I go on a longer ride, so it doesn't stay on the bike at all times. I usually just put it in my tail bag with the small cooler (holds 3 bottles of frozen water) and a couple bottles of room temp water.

that's an actually fair point. I didn't think about the exuberant heat being radiated there.

Ok. So let's suppose we are looking for a kit that can be fairly small so it could fit into our tank or tail bag.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I'll see if there's a number on the one I have at home and give more details tonight. I looked on Walmart's web site for just a minute but didn't see it.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
In all seriousness, in a situation like what you are referring to a spot tracker has a better chance of saving your life than any field 1staid kit. But on the topic of the kit, 4 things that could be essentials would be gauss, superglue, some sort of antiseptic and duct tape.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
In all seriousness, in a situation like what you are referring to a spot tracker has a better chance of saving your life than any field 1staid kit. But on the topic of the kit, 4 things that could be essentials would be gauss, superglue, some sort of antiseptic and duct tape.

You are spot on. GPS emergency beacon is a must have for any longer journey.

I am mainly looking for a first aid kit that would prove essential in a situation that are not going to be a major spill off the bike.

Treating non serious road rash, cuts, random **** getting into your eyes on the off chance that you open up your visor.

Like I said in the original post, first aid kit will be utterly useless when you take a major spill off the bike. If you are unconscious and laying in the ditch, even the GPS beacon would prove to be not much of help for a quick first emergency response. Maybe your family member might be following your movements at home through the tracking info from the GPS, but for a quick first on the scene response you are pretty much out of luck.

surfandsummit

Reaction score
Visit site
It's tough to build a single first aid kit that can handle both the injuries from a crash, and the little day to day cuts and scrapes you might sustain. I carry a first aid kit issued to me when I was stationed overseas. It includes a tourniquet, a chest decompression needle, triangle bandages, gauze, and ace bandages. I added a selection of small bandages, OTC medications, neosporin, etc.

As for being able to use it, if I go on a long ride, I usually stick with at least one other person.

I guess when it comes down to it, I would rather have it and not be able to use it than need it and not have it.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
honestly, considering the nature of any possible injury while on the bike i would think a splint a couple compression bandages and large cotton mattes and if you don't carry one regularly, a knife

SmokeEater37

Reaction score
Visit site
QuikClot is cheap and readily available now. We carry it on all our ambulances at work.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BCNTHC"]Quikclot Sport Brand Advanced Clotting Sponge ,Stop Bleeding Fast, 50 Gram Package:Amazon:Health & Personal Care[/ame]

Get that, carry some water with you, alcohol, gauze, 6ft Ace bandage, and if you can fit it a SAM splint. Those will be enough to get you through anything you can self-treat until EMS arrives.