First 100mph+ Ride

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Thee use to be a little 1/8 strip not far from me Dallas dragway, hell I pretty much grew up there. I bought my 1st car at 14 a little Mazda mz6 slapped a turbo on it an some other stuff and my dad would actually tow it to the strip for me to run on Friday nights. It did cut down on lots of street racing but once they closed up everyone went back to the streets.

Yeah my dad though if I got it "out of my system" at the dragstrip I'd be fine later on... Nope lol just made me want to drag everywhere lol that Mazda was a quick little car runnin mid 8's in the 1/8 until I spun a rod bearing, bent a couple valves and a rod blew threw the oil pan! But that fox body got a nice view of my tail lights until it all went into white smoke lol

How much boost where you running? Anything over 5psi without proper supporting mods IE fuel pump, injectors, and tune. Would probably result in catastrophic failure.

It was a N/A also. That's why il stick to my 97 GS-T. Going to stroke a 2.0 to a 2.3 soon.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I had bigger injectors on it, no tune, but most of the time I ran about 8psi but that night I filled it up with some race fuel I think 110 an cranked it up to over 15psi, it was a old school manual boost controller so I'm not sure exactly how much but yeah, it didn't make it through the night lol but for the 100+ miles it ran like that, HOLY HELL that car was fun! I could literally smoke the tires all the way through 3rd gear!

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Thee use to be a little 1/8 strip not far from me Dallas dragway, hell I pretty much grew up there. I bought my 1st car at 14 a little Mazda mz6 slapped a turbo on it an some other stuff and my dad would actually tow it to the strip for me to run on Friday nights. It did cut down on lots of street racing but once they closed up everyone went back to the streets.

Yeah my dad though if I got it "out of my system" at the dragstrip I'd be fine later on... Nope lol just made me want to drag everywhere lol that Mazda was a quick little car runnin mid 8's in the 1/8 until I spun a rod bearing, bent a couple valves and a rod blew threw the oil pan! But that fox body got a nice view of my tail lights until it all went into white smoke lol

We had a nice drag strip round my parts but the people in the neighborhoods nearby that moved there knowing full well it was there always cried and moaned about the noise. So the city came in and bought the land and shut er down. Now the street racing has pretty much doubled if not tripled in activity.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
its good to expand your comfort level because there may come a day where you HAVE to do over 100..
I was being harassed by some jerk in a red Lightning and i kept edging up my speed until at around 110 (him still beside me) i decided it was enough and i dropped it down and went until I didnt see the truck anymore...

I fully reject this type of reasoning. Speeding up in situations like this (and other ones commonly cited as a reason to "need to go fast") is the least safe thing you can do. For example, in this case, what you probably ended up doing was egging on the Lightning driver rather than telling him to back off. If all you did was go the speed limit (or 5 under), what would he have done? I don't know the full story, so it's hard to say what harassment meant in this case, but if he was driving dangerously I would have stayed well back from him.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I fully reject this type of reasoning. Speeding up in situations like this (and other ones commonly cited as a reason to "need to go fast") is the least safe thing you can do. For example, in this case, what you probably ended up doing was egging on the Lightning driver rather than telling him to back off. If all you did was go the speed limit (or 5 under), what would he have done? I don't know the full story, so it's hard to say what harassment meant in this case, but if he was driving dangerously I would have stayed well back from him.

I would agree with the drop it down a gear or two and hammer it approach. Once you get far enough away from those type of douche bags they will usually give up. I've tried the ill play it cool and go slow approach and it almost always gets worse. Including I had a guy follow me home once. He just wanted to yell at me but now a crazy person knew where I lived. Just drop the hammer and dust them

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

Me and yamahoe live in GA, people don't know how to back off down here, myself included, most people will tell you to do the same thing he did, get the **** outta there, going slower only pisses people off more down here. On a road that the speed limit is 45 everyone does 60 and the cops will pull you over for holding up traffic of you do 45, and that's not a exaggeration lol

Most people will tell you if someone is messing with you, use what your bike has, speed, and leave them behind

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ill also add that I think a few people have said speed is relative to what your use too and that couldn't be truer. The term velocitized-sp? Comes to mind, when you get off the highway and back onto surface streets you feel like your going really slow because you've been going much faster. So if your use to riding slow the faster you go will seem a lot faster. I kinda agree with its not a bad skill to have to be comfortable riding at fast speeds, because at least in my thinking, if I'm completly comfortable cruising at 140mph and know how everything reacts at those speeds, riding at "normal" speeds 80ish is more like 2nd nature and feel way more comfortable at those speeds. Of course I have a ****ed up sense of logic too :BLAA: I'm not saying everyone should be a squid to learn to ride better, but the more you push your limits and comfort zone the larger your comfort zone becomes, as long as your realize the difference between the comfort zone and being ****y.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
I would agree with the drop it down a gear or two and hammer it approach. Once you get far enough away from those type of douche bags they will usually give up. I've tried the ill play it cool and go slow approach and it almost always gets worse. Including I had a guy follow me home once. He just wanted to yell at me but now a crazy person knew where I lived. Just drop the hammer and dust them

These people just want a reaction from you, and when you give them one it just eggs them on. If you get a nut who is focused on running you off the road for no reason at all, sure, do whatever you can to get away from him. But some guy who wants to chase you around because he thinks he's in a fast car and doesn't realize/care that he's going to put you in danger? Speeding up just gives them what they want, and unless you're on a completely flat and empty highway, they can easily catch up to you. Ignore them and they'll leave you alone. I think most of the cases people cite for needing to gun it are motivated by machismo, not safety.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Me and yamahoe live in GA, people don't know how to back off down here, myself included, most people will tell you to do the same thing he did, get the **** outta there, going slower only pisses people off more down here. On a road that the speed limit is 45 everyone does 60 and the cops will pull you over for holding up traffic of you do 45, and that's not a exaggeration lol

Most people will tell you if someone is messing with you, use what your bike has, speed, and leave them behind

I'm not buying any of the excuses. In DC, we have a similar driving culture (mostly due to the effects of constant traffic, probably like in ATL), and I've never had a problem. As for not backing down yourself, I think you probably have some growing up to do (figuratively of course, I have no idea how old you actually are). Who cares if some a-hole passes you? It's not worth a reckless driving ticket and it sure as hell isn't worth getting into a wreck. I don't mean this to come off in an insulting way. I legitimately think it's dangerous to be a hot-head on a bike, and if you can't turn the other cheek and ignore some jerk, then you probably are endangering yourself and people around you.

I agree with one thing, though. I do think it is conventional wisdom to use speed to get out of just about any situation. That's the idea that I'm trying to dislodge from so many riders' minds. Don't give a response to assholes in a cage!

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
These people just want a reaction from you, and when you give them one it just eggs them on. If you get a nut who is focused on running you off the road for no reason at all, sure, do whatever you can to get away from him. But some guy who wants to chase you around because he thinks he's in a fast car and doesn't realize/care that he's going to put you in danger? Speeding up just gives them what they want, and unless you're on a completely flat and empty highway, they can easily catch up to you. Ignore them and they'll leave you alone. I think most of the cases people cite for needing to gun it are motivated by machismo, not safety.

Talk about taking back seat driver to the extreme there. You do not even see the situation and you are telling the guy how he should react over the internet.

There is nothing safe about being rear ended by a driver when you are on a motorcycle- you will probably die or worse be handicapped for life.

Are you going to pull over to the side of the road? The driver might take that as gesture of wanting to fight and jump you.

All a person can do is take in the situation and make the best decision for themselves.

I have only had one guy in my riding time choose to tail me. The result? I dropped the proverbial hammer, the crazy truck dude took a turn behind me, ended up on the wrong side of the road going wide around a blind curve, nearly flipped his truck over riding on 2 wheel going toward the edge of the mountain (the montezuma borrego springs). He calmed down after that.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Talk about taking back seat driver to the extreme there. You do not even see the situation and you are telling the guy how he should react over the internet.

There is nothing safe about being rear ended by a driver when you are on a motorcycle- you will probably die or worse be handicapped for life.

Are you going to pull over to the side of the road? The driver might take that as gesture of wanting to fight and jump you.

All a person can do is take in the situation and make the best decision for themselves.

I have only had one guy in my riding time choose to tail me. The result? I dropped the proverbial hammer, the crazy truck dude took a turn behind me, ended up on the wrong side of the road going wide around a blind curve, nearly flipped his truck over riding on 2 wheel going toward the edge of the mountain (the montezuma borrego springs). He calmed down after that.

Of course there are going to be real dangerous nutcases out there, and when you encounter one you should do whatever you can to get away from them, as I said. I'm just reasoning that in many cases, the other guy is just some chump trying to race with a bike, and speeding up is going to make it worse because he'll take it as a challenge. You can never know what to expect all the time, but I refuse to believe that in every case if you just drive normally and ignore people they will flip out and run you over--it simply hasn't been the case in my experience.

At the end of the day I can't tell you or anyone how to ride, I just want to get my logic out there and hope people see my side of things. It's my sense that the real reason for speeding away in situations where you could just as easily ignore the other driver is about testosterone and showing the other guy up.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course there are going to be real dangerous nutcases out there, and when you encounter one you should do whatever you can to get away from them, as I said. I'm just reasoning that in many cases, the other guy is just some chump trying to race with a bike, and speeding up is going to make it worse because he'll take it as a challenge. You can never know what to expect all the time, but I refuse to believe that in every case if you just drive normally and ignore people they will flip out and run you over--it simply hasn't been the case in my experience.

At the end of the day I can't tell you or anyone how to ride, I just want to get my logic out there and hope people see my side of things. It's my sense that the real reason for speeding away in situations where you could just as easily ignore the other driver is about testosterone and showing the other guy up.

I am sure you are right most of the time, the problem is when you are wrong the consequence are too deadly.

If I had a revolver with 100 chambers and I pull only one bullet in it would you play one spin of russian roulette? I mean, sure 99 percent of the time you will be fine but to me the consequence of being wrong are too dramatic to play.

This is the general way I judge the situation:

If the guy is driving a racing type vehicle. He is probably a good driver/riding that is just having a good time being sporty and I not going to start a fast and furious scenario.

If the guy is driving a normal vehicle he is going to get dusted just about every time. There is no reason to leave that situation to chance when all it take is a flick of the wrist to end it.

Mind you, I had a friend that literally choose to crash his truck into another vehicle one day cause he was so pissed about some problem he was having with his wife he just wanted to hit something. Fortunately, no one was injured seriously.

I don't know what is going on with other drivers, they may be drunk, they could've just got fired from work, found out there wife/gf cheated on them. I am not going to leave the situation up to them and hope it turns out okay.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not buying any of the excuses. In DC, we have a similar driving culture (mostly due to the effects of constant traffic, probably like in ATL), and I've never had a problem. As for not backing down yourself, I think you probably have some growing up to do (figuratively of course, I have no idea how old you actually are). Who cares if some a-hole passes you? It's not worth a reckless driving ticket and it sure as hell isn't worth getting into a wreck. I don't mean this to come off in an insulting way. I legitimately think it's dangerous to be a hot-head on a bike, and if you can't turn the other cheek and ignore some jerk, then you probably are endangering yourself and people around you.

I agree with one thing, though. I do think it is conventional wisdom to use speed to get out of just about any situation. That's the idea that I'm trying to dislodge from so many riders' minds. Don't give a response to assholes in a cage!

Obviously you haven't read many of my post lol ill be the 1st to admit I can be a hot head and do need to "grow up" but at the same time I probable have more miles on me than most riders will rack up during their entire lives so I have seen quite a bit. When you ride everyday rain or shine, hot or cold you see a lot of stuff and get put in many situations that need quick thinking. It's not a excuse because it works, its conventional wisdom because its tried and true, yes some people might just let it go if you do but in my experience and a lot of others when you continue to ignore them it tends to piss them off more and then they "show out" more to get your attention. I've been put in those situations quite a few times am everytime I tried ignoring them it pissed them off more, pissed one girl off so bad she got in front of me and slamed on brakes and I actually rear ended her. What did she do, look in her mirror laugh and took off. A rider with less experience might have reacted a little less quickly an rear ended her harder and flew through her back glass. Problem in that situation is that I continued to stick around and tried ignoring her, if I would have just left her ass when she started I would have never have her the chance to brake check me. Irony of that situation, ill never forget her car and tag lol a blue rsx and the tag said KRAZEE

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the bottom line is there is NO one way to handle all road rage incidents.

Some cases, I've moved to the right, and slowed down to the speed limit or slightly below. Most of the time, they'll just pass me.

Should they decide, to stay on my tail, I'm certainly not pulling over (too many nut cases carrying guns). In that case, I'm likely to say goodbye and use my throttle and skills and leave them in traffic.

BTW, love the idea of going into a twistie at a higher than recommended speed (easily done if your experianced, familiar with the road, etc), you'll loose them...:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still haven't figured out the charging issue he just charges it every few days lol but the gearbox it was the shifter linkage, I guess what ever hit the oil pan hit it too. But he still lets me play around on it from time to time although his wife wrecked it 2 weeks into owning it screwing up my " dash"that I spent about 20hrs making. Oh well it's not mine anymore but it will always be mine at the same time lol

So its basically a "Hybrid FZ6 now?? (gas and electric)???:rolleyes:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol yup, plug er in and she's good to go for 3 days or empty tank which ever comes 1st

Somebuddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I think as long as you don't make a habit out of riding like that and only do it when it's "Safe" you should be fine. Now the definition of safe will obviously differ depending on the rider. However, the first time I "tried to see what the bike could do" I ended up with a $549 ticket, lol. :D Guess I'm lucky that nothing worse happened, but still..

I've seen the officer that got me 3 times this week in 4 days hiding off the side of the road, just waiting for someone to speed past him. Of course I didn't seem him the one day I decided to go fast. Oh well!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it is nice to have a little extra power. Back when I had my Ninja 250 which I rode on the interstate a lot was riding back from Chattanooga at 70 to 80 when a small Toyota started messing with me. Yea the type of car an FZ6 could totally run away from. They would speed up to 90 or 95 and pass me then slow down to 60 so I pretty much had to pass. I would pin the throttle but could not go fast enough to leave them! This went on for a few miles, finally came up on a rest area and they had just passed - at the last moment I ducked into the rest area and they went on down the road. After that experience I always like to have that power and speed to get away from most vehicles. I run across lots of people who if you pass then just a little bit faster than they are going they will speed up and block you but if you go by with some authority then they just let you go. It's a dangerous and crazy world.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it is nice to have a little extra power. Back when I had my Ninja 250 which I rode on the interstate a lot was riding back from Chattanooga at 70 to 80 when a small Toyota started messing with me. Yea the type of car an FZ6 could totally run away from. They would speed up to 90 or 95 and pass me then slow down to 60 so I pretty much had to pass. I would pin the throttle but could not go fast enough to leave them! This went on for a few miles, finally came up on a rest area and they had just passed - at the last moment I ducked into the rest area and they went on down the road. After that experience I always like to have that power and speed to get away from most vehicles. I run across lots of people who if you pass then just a little bit faster than they are going they will speed up and block you but if you go by with some authority then they just let you go. It's a dangerous and crazy world.

This story is hilarious.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site

FTR I get people on straights and corners. In all seriousness I do find that if I break the imaginary rubber band that is creating that interaction between myself and a nutty driver, then they just let it go. Also I will use traffic by cutting around other motorist to create a barrier between me and a nutter.

Today on my way to a friends I accelerated and got over into the exit lane around a car. Speed limit 65 and dropped to 45 for the ramp. The car I got around was going about 70 and I was well going a little (lot) faster than that. I made a kind of sharp dive over (I had about 6-7 car lengths at that point on the guy), just messing around and then slowed to 60 for the ramp. Well this guy stayed kinda close to me and then after the ramp interchange the speed limit popped back up to 65, so I picked up speed to 70. Well this guy wasn't done, so he got right up on my tail and I just maintained my speed (it was a 4 lane road he could go around). So he gets up speed goes around me cutting it close without signaling at about 72 as he cuts in front of me with about 1-2 car lengths and I was cool with it as he threw up deuces in the rear view at me. (I think he was annoyed with my previous maneuver). I was covering the brake and clutch lever, ready to take evasive maneuvers if things got worse. I set up a tailing speed of 5-6 car lengths back so that he could be bear bait for the LEO on the road we were on. Sure enough we passed a State Trooper and 2 Sheriffs. The dude must have got scared after that because he slowed way down (below 65 even) and I proceeded to speed up again (If the LEO are behind you, they can't get in front of you to catch you, just keep one eye in the rear view)

Also another interesting story. When I was in high school we were riding in a car pool to baseball practice. My friend was driving and he did kind of cut this guy off. Well the guy was obviously pissed, started flashing his brights and swerving about. We make one or 2 turns and this guy stays with us as he keeps running up on our bumper, even though there is another lane on the new road we turned on that he could go around. My friend pulls over and the guy gets out of his car and comes up to us. My friend leaves his window up but has just a crack. The guy starts yelling at the driver and my other friend in the back seat (with the baseball bags) gets out of the car and stands up with a baseball bat and raises it up and rests it on the roof of the car and asks very casually "Do we have a ****ing problem." The guy stutters a little and says no problem as he begins backing up to his car seeing that it is full of 3 athletic big dudes and one is obviously crazy enough to pull a bat out. My friend with the bat hops back in the car and we pull away. The guy just sat there for a minute in his car so either he called the cops or had a little reality check that a minor mis-communication about merging in traffic really wasn't worth it.

You never know when someone will be having a bad day i.e. Michael Douglas in Falling Down so it just isn't worth it. But I find getting away from people is better than staying in their way.

Too bad we don't live in Russia (JK)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMjnQ1dvlJM]Russian Road Rage - YouTube[/ame]