First 100mph+ Ride

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. At 60-65 mph in 6th. It's fun to kick it down 3 gears and squeal like that piggy on the car commercials to the 115 mark. Yes I know it really wasn't 115, but that's why I shifted into 4th.

Of course drinking beer one day and cleaning the bike with the centerstand down I may or may not have stuck it I. 6th and banged it out to 170. Yeah yeah I know "what if it would have came off the centerstand" well it would have been a sight to see it go through my DSM and shed. lol..

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm kinda surprised the FZ1 got squirrly at that speed.

I have the euro naked headlight setup, so no wind protection. Also, if I do a better job about getting back on the pegs and low on the tank (cafe racer style) it's not as bad. But still the bars like to begin to shake/wobble over 125.

i've had high speed wobbles before (usually once you get over 100), but it was because the wheel wasn't balanced properly

Thank you for mentioning this. I will check it out. and I'm most likely switching over to a second set of wheels soon. So I can compare.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I miss the hell outta my fz already! Ive seen the speedo read 160ish on it before but who knows what it actually was, i use to think i had redlined it in 6th gear, yeah turns out it was bouncing off the limiter in 5th lol But I still get to see it almost every week lol I've been trying my damnedest to keep some self control on the asphalt lately and the fooling around in empty parking lots yet I've been down 3 times in the last month. Not from me being a ass I've been good but its not knowing what other people will do that keep me calm lately. Although last Saturday night I said F it, my buddy was on my old fz and I was on his 636 (which honestly feels it has the power of a gsxr750) and we ran up on a newer tricked out z06 he reved up couple burnouts, I keep cool until I smelled the rubber burning then showed him how quick he can get left behind, I could see it in his face how embarrassed he was and that his girl was laughing at him lmao
I'm in love with a Kawasaki!
View attachment 47497

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are some states where you get caught going over 100mph, you automatically go to jail, unless you're lucky enough to get a warning. Kind of a stupid rule, it's like you're encouraging people to run, even if you pull over you're still going to jail for speeding. Maybe that's part of the reason why so many bike will run.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit 117 once on my FZ6 right after the engine was broken in fully. I haven't seen over 100mph indicated since then and that was back in 2007. Maybe I've finally grown up? Or maybe every time I see an open stretch of road and get the urge to twist the throttle I think of the possibility of a deer running out in front of me at 100mph and then I feel like doing the limit.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit 117 once on my FZ6 right after the engine was broken in fully. I haven't seen over 100mph indicated since then and that was back in 2007. Maybe I've finally grown up? Or maybe every time I see an open stretch of road and get the urge to twist the throttle I think of the possibility of a deer running out in front of me at 100mph and then I feel like doing the limit.

Sounds like a tuff choice we all have to make.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I miss the hell outta my fz already! Ive seen the speedo read 160ish on it before but who knows what it actually was, i use to think i had redlined it in 6th gear, yeah turns out it was bouncing off the limiter in 5th lol But I still get to see it almost every week lol I've been trying my damnedest to keep some self control on the asphalt lately and the fooling around in empty parking lots yet I've been down 3 times in the last month. Not from me being a ass I've been good but its not knowing what other people will do that keep me calm lately. Although last Saturday night I said F it, my buddy was on my old fz and I was on his 636 (which honestly feels it has the power of a gsxr750) and we ran up on a newer tricked out z06 he reved up couple burnouts, I keep cool until I smelled the rubber burning then showed him how quick he can get left behind, I could see it in his face how embarrassed he was and that his girl was laughing at him lmao
I'm in love with a Kawasaki!
View attachment 47497

Long time, no hear!

What was wrong with the gear box on the old FZ and the charging system?

OH, and should it be "Chevysaki" now???

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be the one to post up a caution but it's pretty important.
Most accidents occuring at the start of the season involve mature responsible riders who have lost their skills over the winter.
Take your time people and you'll get there. Safely riding at speed is relative to your confidence and abilities.
I love giving the bike a good canning and I'm fully aware that speed is also proportional to accident severity.
Please stay safe guys.

Neil:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my FZ6 I had a few performance mods and it was dynotuned.
Very impressive top end! :D
Like Neil said. Speed can be inversely proportional to injury So carefully weigh the factors involved. :)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI for everyone:

If you get a good launch out of the last corner, you can usually manage to get quite high into the triple digits on the front straight of most racetracks.

:p

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be the one to post up a caution but it's pretty important.
Most accidents occuring at the start of the season involve mature responsible riders who have lost their skills over the winter.
Take your time people and you'll get there. Safely riding at speed is relative to your confidence and abilities.
I love giving the bike a good canning and I'm fully aware that speed is also proportional to accident severity.
Please stay safe guys.

Neil:thumbup:

Huh? Who puts their bike up during winter? That's blasphemy! ;) you must enjoy and embrace the suck of winter. Cold hands are not for the feint of heart. So when your finally screaming why winter? Why are you takingso long???!!?!?!? And it warms up. It's great ;) LOL

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Long time, no hear!

What was wrong with the gear box on the old FZ and the charging system?

OH, and should it be "Chevysaki" now???

Still haven't figured out the charging issue he just charges it every few days lol but the gearbox it was the shifter linkage, I guess what ever hit the oil pan hit it too. But he still lets me play around on it from time to time although his wife wrecked it 2 weeks into owning it screwing up my " dash"that I spent about 20hrs making. Oh well it's not mine anymore but it will always be mine at the same time lol

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

If you get a good launch out of the last corner, you can usually manage to get quite high into the triple digits on the front straight of most racetracks.

Unfortunately where I live. There no tracks. I do dream of opening up a real 1/4 mile strip (only 1/8s down here) having ante up grudge match nights I think that would cut out of alot of illegal drag racing too..

But UNTILL then, back roads for me.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Huh? Who puts their bike up during winter? That's blasphemy! ;) you must enjoy and embrace the suck of winter. Cold hands are not for the feint of heart. So when your finally screaming why winter? Why are you takingso long???!!?!?!? And it warms up. It's great ;) LOL
I'm lucky enough to get to ride all year round, so luckily no enforced winter rest for me.

Neil

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
There are some states where you get caught going over 100mph, you automatically go to jail, unless you're lucky enough to get a warning. Kind of a stupid rule, it's like you're encouraging people to run, even if you pull over you're still going to jail for speeding. Maybe that's part of the reason why so many bike will run.

In AZ I believe it is 20 mph over is an automatic jail trip (I was going 83 in a 65 once in my car and the LEO made me aware if I was only 2 mph more he would have cuffed me)

Most of us eventually chose what our brain is telling is instead of what our testosterone is telling us.

Some never listen to the brain! :BLAA:

If you're low on testosterone you can visit my new office in Phoenix specializing in men's medicine and hormone replacement therapy.:BLAA:

But, you should always listen to your brain.

I wish, I need to save me up for a track suit. or at least something close because I am so fricking tall I will probably have to get a 2 piece with zip together jacket pant combo.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yepper, its riding season 365 down here, flat slab mostly, but year round riding.

Road trip to the Smokies for some real twisties...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately where I live. There no tracks. I do dream of opening up a real 1/4 mile strip (only 1/8s down here) having ante up grudge match nights I think that would cut out of alot of illegal drag racing too..

But UNTILL then, back roads for me.

Thee use to be a little 1/8 strip not far from me Dallas dragway, hell I pretty much grew up there. I bought my 1st car at 14 a little Mazda mz6 slapped a turbo on it an some other stuff and my dad would actually tow it to the strip for me to run on Friday nights. It did cut down on lots of street racing but once they closed up everyone went back to the streets.

Yeah my dad though if I got it "out of my system" at the dragstrip I'd be fine later on... Nope lol just made me want to drag everywhere lol that Mazda was a quick little car runnin mid 8's in the 1/8 until I spun a rod bearing, bent a couple valves and a rod blew threw the oil pan! But that fox body got a nice view of my tail lights until it all went into white smoke lol

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the highest I've had mine up to was about 130. That is an accurate speed too because of my gearing. Could have kept it wide open but all the possibilities of bad things started running through my mind. On most days I try not to speed, but there are those days where I will drop it down to 2nd gear on the highway and and quickly make the cars disappear.