Finally brought my baby home!!

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I just wanted to share the good news with ya'll that I finally put a FZ6 in my garage! I bought a Faster Blue 2007 with 2900 miles on it and rode it home today from Atlanta, GA. :rockon: I had one chance to ride it around the block before I forked over the money, and for never having ridden one in real life, I thought it was especially forgiving!

fz6nobags1.jpg

Then came the tricky part, riding it home. We had a 3 hour drive back to Greenville, and half of it was state highway and the other half was expressway. The first part of the ride was marvelous: twisty, quiet Route 369. The temp was in the upper 70's. I felt I got a good handle on everything and had the warm sun shining on my back. Then, we took I85 N the rest of the way...that was a little more challenging for me, and it got to be quite windy and chilly by the time the sun went down.

Here are my thoughts: I loved loved loved the ride. It handled as well as I could have imagined. There were some embarrassing moments when I knocked it out of gear somehow on the expressway and gave the tachometer quite a workout while I frantically tried to find a gear...when I killed it in traffic..the many times I started out in 2nd or 3rd gear...the wobbly stops....but I'm sure some more practice will knock out those concerns. I thought it handled well on the expressway, I always had plenty of go-juice, even in top gear. It felt stable and the ride wasn't as bumpy as I thought it'd be. My bottom started to hurt a little after the second hour, but nothing too bad.

The only questions I have: What is the normal range of temperatures on the engine temp display? I saw it go from 160-ish to 200-ish depending on whether or not I was moving. Maybe I'm not used to seeing that type of display, but it made me a little nervous ("oh no, the temp keeps going up!!") Why would my rear brake make a loud squeal at slow stops only? I was testing out the rear brake in my neighborhood tonight and it was quite embarrassing!

Anyway, thanks for the great information everyone and I can't wait to meet up with a few local members to show off my new bike :D

Last edited:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new ride! As you ride it more you'll get used to the gearing and have a blast. When you say you kicked it out of gear on the expressway was it like finding neutral between gears? I'm not sure how it could rev up without being in neutral or having the clutch in.

As for temps mine runs from 170f on cool open rides, to 212 while sitting in traffic on hotter days. My average temp is 190-210. I'd say your in the norm!

Great looking bike and welcome to the FZr addiction. :rockon:

shamrocker

Reaction score
Yeah, I felt the bike bog down after I merged onto the freeway, then when I tapped the gear lever up again and released the clutch, it felt like it was in neutral (was not) and I overreved it. If it happens again, I will probably let go of the throttle completely until I find the gear again. 99% chance it was my heavy boot nudging the gear selector without my knowledge.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
first, welcome and glad you got a blue one, second... im in clemson and there are some other FZ6 riders in the upstate and i think with this weather turning nice we should all get together for a nice ride.... what u think?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done, nice bike....like the blue in the faired FZ6. Hope you enjoy lots of safe & satifying rides.

:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Blue? You bought a Blue FZ?? The Red ones never miss a gear or get hot :)

You tube "how to pick up a motorcycle" and get some sliders.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Tillykke on your new bike.

It is the same as all bikes in so much as they all need to be handled differently.

You will soon get used to it.

Have a good summer.

Steve

genesis

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep hearing about these faster blue bikes... I would love to meet one of you on the road!! ;)

As far as the brakes, my front brake squeals during a slow stop... nothing wrong with that, it's just loud. There's a brake grease you can pick up at an automotive store to stop the squeal.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well done! glad you got her home... now you can enjoy her! Especially since you got the faster blue. :thumbup: certainly the better choice

btw, nice avatar

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the purchase, looks like you made the right choice on the Blue as well, You not only got blue which is faster, but you got the 07 blue which is the Fastest of the blues. That's why they only made it for a year before going back to a dark blue.

shamrocker

Reaction score
Blue? You bought a Blue FZ?? The Red ones never miss a gear or get hot :)

You tube "how to pick up a motorcycle" and get some sliders.

Well, truth be told, I originally wanted a red one, but I had a hard time finding an 07 cause they would sell so fast! But after I saw the deep blue sparkly paint, I knew this would make me just as happy!

And the sliders are already in my garage, waiting to go on. Also, I've got a smoke puig racing screen, freeway blaster horn, tank protector waiting to be installed, too. :thumbup:

shamrocker

Reaction score
first, welcome and glad you got a blue one, second... im in clemson and there are some other FZ6 riders in the upstate and i think with this weather turning nice we should all get together for a nice ride.... what u think?

I'm totally up for getting together. I want to get the registration and plates taken care of before I start riding across the area, but it would be great to meet some other folks here. Plus, I want to get a lot of practice in to get comfortable with it before I ride with anyone.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the purchase, looks like you made the right choice on the Blue as well, You not only got blue which is faster, but you got the 07 blue which is the Fastest of the blues. That's why they only made it for a year before going back to a dark blue.

+1 on that!

I had a bit of a time getting used to the clutch too and killed it going into first often. After not riding it this winter, I seem to have lost that problem and haven't killed it yet. I did notice though that my back brake makes just a little noise - nothing bad though - I thought it was from sitting over the winter.

Have fun, ride safe and post often. And - congrats on your purhcase! :thumbup:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep hearing about these faster blue bikes... I would love to meet one of you on the road!! ;)

As far as the brakes, my front brake squeals during a slow stop... nothing wrong with that, it's just loud. There's a brake grease you can pick up at an automotive store to stop the squeal.

I wouldn't recommend this. I would recommend using brake cleaner (keeping it away from the rims and paint) to clean the brakes. That should make them stop. You'd be surprised at how dirty they get.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend this. I would recommend using brake cleaner (keeping it away from the rims and paint) to clean the brakes. That should make them stop. You'd be surprised at how dirty they get.

The squealing happens because the previous owner never applied copper grease between the pad and the brake cylinder when he changed the brake pad. That's my bet.

Other than that: Congrats with your new bike, Shamrocker:thumbup:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The squealing happens because the previous owner never applied copper grease between the pad and the brake cylinder when he changed the brake pad. That's my bet.

Other than that: Congrats with your new bike, Shamrocker:thumbup:

I bought my bike brand new, have never put any of this stuff on my brakes. I have always kept everything clean, and have never had my brakes squeak.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike brand new, have never put any of this stuff on my brakes. I have always kept everything clean, and have never had my brakes squeak.

You only use the copper grease when the pads are changed. ;)

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

your bike looks sweet..the more you ride it the more you'll love it...oh and even the best riders have hit a false neutral

Last edited: