Feel Like I'm Leaning Back in a Turn

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
So as I've gotten more comfortable riding I've started to notice some things that I have to question.

Often times when I go around a tight sweeping turn I get the feeling like I'm leaning back. I'm trying to get my body over the tank and head toward the mirror in the direction that I'm turning. I'll shift my body slightly off the seat in the direction that I'm turning as well.

However, on many occasions I've simply felt like I was leaned back when I'm in the middle of the turn and exiting the turn. It's like the bike is accelerating through the turn without me, although I'm gripping the tank with the outside knee and feet securely on the pegs, and as little weight on my arms as needed to steer / counter-steer on the bars.

Anyone else get this sensation? Is it due to the upright bars vs. clip-ons? I'm pretty sure it's due to poor form on my part, but I'm not really sure how to combat it when I mentally feel like I'm doing my part to keep good form.

Appreciate any feedback or advice. :thumbup:

Craig

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
...Often times when I go around a tight sweeping turn I get the feeling like I'm leaning back. I'm trying to get my body over the tank and head toward the mirror in the direction that I'm turning. I'll shift my body slightly off the seat in the direction that I'm turning as well.....

....although I'm gripping the tank with the outside knee and feet securely on the pegs, and as little weight on my arms as needed to steer / counter-steer on the bars......

....Anyone else get this sensation? Is it due to the upright bars vs. clip-ons?...

When I'm riding my FZ at a brisk pace I get a similar sensation. I have come to the same conclusion as you have about the position of the grips on a traditional handlebar vs. clip-on or other types of lowered controls. I have installed lower after-market bars on most of my previous bikes, but I have consciously left my FZ stock as I am using it for all of my long-distance riding. When I switch rides between my R1 and the FZ I notice a radical difference in how I approach cornering (among other things). FZ tire wear disputes my impression of using excessive rear weight bias (they always wear evenly), but having my inside-turn hand as high as my shoulder when aggressively cornering just doesn't seem normal.

The further you get your upper body away from the center of the bike in both X and Y axis, you WILL notice an increased weighting on your wrists. Just sit on the bike on the centerstand and try to "kiss the mirror". Doesn't feel that comfortable, does it?

I think you are taking a very normal approach to your cornering process. Just stay within your comfort zone as you address any changes you might make.

PS- Lets ride Montezuma Valley Road sometime. Lots of happy sweepers to practice on!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dont know if tis means anything, but it might not be that your leaning back, it might just be that as you apply throttle coming out of a corner, the acceleration of the bike, which can be quite brisk on an FZ6, the front of the bike becomes lighter, and feels like it is sitting up and pushing wide...i chased this feeling for a while myself...putting drag bars on, raising rear ride height, taller rear tyre, different suspension settings (i have ohlins rear, and racetech front with gold valve emulators)...but have come to the conclusion it is the way the FZ6 is, and even after all those "remedies", it still feels that way sometimes...you just need to get use to it, and ride around it.

Remember, unless we put clip-ons on our bikes, we are never going to be able to get as much weight over the front wheel as say something like an R6 for example...will be interesting to see if i get the same feeling, when i take possesion of my FZ6 Cup bike, which has clip on handlebar's, mounted below the top triple clamp.

I rode my mates Harley recently, and the same feeling applied, but about a thousand times more...could be that if you have a sports bike background, it's just a case of adjusting to the different seating position, ergonomics, and handling characteristics of a more neutral seating position.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to see how the cup bike feels vs. the street bike. My riding background is actually all dirt riding, so not much of a comparison.

I rode a Ninja 250 while I was getting acquainted with street riding, but I was so new to "sport bikes" that I wouldn't be able to make an accurate comparison. I still have access to the baby ninja though, so might take it out now and see how it feels; obviously it won't lift up from acceleration ;), but I could compare the clip ons through mid turn.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to see how the cup bike feels vs. the street bike. My riding background is actually all dirt riding, so not much of a comparison.

I rode a Ninja 250 while I was getting acquainted with street riding, but I was so new to "sport bikes" that I wouldn't be able to make an accurate comparison. I still have access to the baby ninja though, so might take it out now and see how it feels; obviously it won't lift up from acceleration ;), but I could compare the clip ons through mid turn.

Cool, will be interesting to hear your thoughts after the ride...and i am very keen to see what the difference is in the cup bike, and will report back, but it will be a few weeks...bike has'nt even been crated yet for delivery.

:thumbup: