Fault Code: Er 1; problems with ECU?

ed c

Reaction score
Visit site
The short story: bike won't start and is displaying Er 1 which from an earlier post I understand means:
Fault code: Er-1
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No signals are received from the ECU.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead.
Malfunction in meter.
Malfunction in ECU.

The long story:
Rode for about 30 min this morning while running an errand with no issues. Post ride, installed a Throttlemeister and after adjusting, ran engine to test operation of Throttlemeister with no issues at all. A couple hours later, while showing my father the motorcycle and starting it up once with no issues (ran for maybe 5 min), attempted to start again but engine would not turn over. Turning the key to 'on' resulted in power to the console, all guages seemed to work fine and I heard the whining of what I believed to be the electrical system starting up (same sound I hear every time I turn the key). Turned on the kill switch just like normal and pressed the ignition switch. Rather than the engine quickly turning over, as usual, it produced a loud buzzing sound and the power cycled off and on (console powered down and immediately powered up again as if I had just turned the key back on). The console displayed Er 1 (described above).

I have not been able to find much in the owner's or service manual regarding explanations for the malfunction or how to fix. How accessible is the ECU? I'm wondering if this is something I can attempt on my own or if I should contact a dealer.

Any assistance or recomendations are greatly appreciated.

ed c

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
straight away with most things with bikes i'm considering whether your battery is near to dead...I dont know what ER 1 stands for but still...give the battery a charge and see how things go!

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
The whinning noise you hear is the fuel pump. Check your battery connections and make sure they are tight. If you aren't getting a full 12 volts ar so the engine won't turn over. What condition is the battery in?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The short story: bike won't start and is displaying Er 1 which from an earlier post I understand means:
Fault code: Er-1
Diagnostic Code: --
Malfunction in meter.
Malfunction in ECU.

The long story:
Rode for about 30 min this morning while running an errand with no issues. Post ride, installed a Throttlemeister and after adjusting, ran engine to test operation of Throttlemeister with no issues at all. A couple hours later, while showing my father the motorcycle and starting it up once with no issues (ran for maybe 5 min), attempted to start again but engine would not turn over. Turning the key to 'on' resulted in power to the console, all guages seemed to work fine and I heard the whining of what I believed to be the electrical system starting up (same sound I hear every time I turn the key). Turned on the kill switch just like normal and pressed the ignition switch. Rather than the engine quickly turning over, as usual, it produced a loud buzzing sound and the power cycled off and on (console powered down and immediately powered up again as if I had just turned the key back on). The console displayed Er 1 (described above).

I have not been able to find much in the owner's or service manual regarding explanations for the malfunction or how to fix. How accessible is the ECU? I'm wondering if this is something I can attempt on my own or if I should contact a dealer.

Any assistance or recomendations are greatly appreciated.

ed c

Taken from Admin. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...codes-listed-fz6-service-manual.html:thumbup:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 with Scorphonic

There seems to be no voltage to the ECU. Probably caused by poor battery connection, low battery, open fuse or shorted(bare) wire. Scorphonic gave good advice, start at the battery.

ed c

Reaction score
Visit site
great, thanks all for the advice. I'm going to go check the battery and wiring right now but this brings up another question for me. Is it possible for the battery to have enough juice for the fuel pump and instrument panel but not the ignition or does the fact that they (fuel pump, instruments) seem to be working properly lend itself to more of an issue with the wiring vice the battery itself?

thanks again. I'm off to pull the tank....

ed

ed c

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone that provided recomendations and advice (this post and my other regarding 'full battery charge').

Pulled my battery and hooked it up to a smart charger. Initial voltage reading was around 11.1 and after 2 hours or so it read full charge at around 14+ volts. Hooked the battery back up and the bike fired right up...

Great advice. Saved me what I'm sure would have been a couple hundred $$ trip to the local shop and I learned a valuable lesson.

thanks all,

ed