Extra bulb socket in headlight assembly.

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple days ago i realised that there are two empty bulb sockets in each headlight. Has anyone put anything in there? Any idea if i could put an extra set of turn signals in there?

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple days ago i realised that there are two empty bulb sockets in each headlight. Has anyone put anything in there? Any idea if i could put an extra set of turn signals in there?
these house the parking lights for the european models

Dresnewtoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ste, that is exactly what i'm talking about. What lights do you put in there? Any links to products, how to?

The socket you use are from the Yamaha R1. If you search our the FZ6 forum you will find people that have used them. Sorry I don't know what year R1 but probably pre 09.

Here's a link to one of our member's pod job... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/43723-pod-lights.html

Last edited by a moderator:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It'd be nice to get an socket that fits without modification that you can plug an amber, two element bulb in there and move your running/ directionals there and ditch the front stalks..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, on our US bikes the holes is not drilled to its just a fillet there. But to your point, you could use any socket you wish if you have cutter to do so. But now its about the size restraints of the area and heat dissipation if running higher wattage incandesent bulbs.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I just did this, should have done a write up :spank:

I put some in mine and BlueMoons bike over the weekend. His turned out better as he's running the stock turn signal/running lights. Because of this, the pod lights (LEDs) could be wired to work as running lights and turn signals. Mine only work as turn signals because my bike has LED turn signals and I didn't want to mess with relays.

On BlueMoons, I wired the LED pod lights to both of the power wires for the running/turn signals lights (don't use the ground wire). Doing this, the pod lights get power from the running light circuit, and the ground comes through the turn signal filament in the incandescent bulb. When the turn signal come on, the pod lights go off. Pretty cool in my opinion as it give a double blink effect (when the turn signals light up, the pod lights go off, when the turn signals turn off the pod lights light up)

I had to drill the back of the headlights on ours, there was no opening. BlueMoon gave me the part numbers for the sockets and LED bulbs, the whole thing cost about $20. I'll get some pics of mine tonight, if BlueMoon reads this he can get some of his as well. If I still have the boxes I'll post Part numbers as well.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a quick vid of mine (low quality, phone video)

2006 FZ6 Pod lights - YouTube

For some reason, they didn't put them in the US versions. I have no idea why as I think they look good and add visibility.
these look great as indicators plus they blink in sync with the side ones (sounds like a great limerick they blink in sync)
:)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, on our US bikes the holes is not drilled to its just a fillet there. But to your point, you could use any socket you wish if you have cutter to do so. But now its about the size restraints of the area and heat dissipation if running higher wattage incandesent bulbs.

What type of FACTORY bulbs are the European bikes running or I guess there just regular, one filiment parking lights?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What type of FACTORY bulbs are the European bikes running or I guess there just regular, one filiment parking lights?

Factory part uses an equivalent to the 194 series (don't have the Yama #) so its not meant to act as an indicator just a running/parking lamp as you thought.