Explain the world of racing.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Are there levels of racing?

I see a lot of posts about motogp, is that like the top of racing?

Is racing superbikes like the minor leagues of racing compared to motogp?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A superbike is a "production" bike, or a bike based on a production bike.

MotoGP is a totally "built for racing" bike. Yes, it's the very top of motorbike racing.

MotoGP bike to the FZ6 is like a Formula 1 car to a Hyundai Excel :)

You get Supersport, superbikes, superstock, 125cc, Moto2, MotoGP...... the list goes on and on. Then you get TT races, supermotard, motorcross, supercross, trials, sidecar, thunderbikes - you'll get hooked :steve:

I'll try to get some good links for you later that might explain a bit better. Or try the above bikes in "Wikipedia" - actually will give you a lot of information.

And it's ALWAYS great to have someone new on the Racing Forum!

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to also check the definition of 'Isle of Man TT' in the Macquarie Dictionary. It's going to read something along the lines of "worlds coolest race of any kind, ever". It's very surprising to see it in such definitive terms, but if you read... between(?)... the lines, it IS there.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Easy way of looking at it is this....

1. Casey Stoner

And then there is the rest of them :D

Luckily he is not a blinkered Aussie! :spank:

If you watched the SBK races from Miller yesterday you would have seen that Superbikes are no minor league, that is some serious, fast racing!

The next MotoGP is on Sunday 5th June in Barcelona, don't miss it!

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
World Superbike is a league full of riders that failed in MotoGP.

MotoGP is prototype bikes that are designed 100% for racing, World Superbike are production bikes that have been modded to hell.

Basically, MotoGP or GTFO.

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
World Superbike is a league full of riders that failed in MotoGP. quote]

I don't think you know what you're talking about :shakehead:

Maybe you should start watching WSB rather than just commenting on it.....

:)

Right. No idea what I'm talking about.

Biaggi, Checa, Melandri, Vermeulen, Toseland, Fabrizio, Haga, Guintoli and Xaus are all ex MotoGP riders that lost rides.

Perhaps not Biaggi, we all know why he left GP. Anyways, no, I'm not wrong. A LOT of GP riders go straight to WSB.

Last edited:

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pretty good description of TT. It would be a lot to try to explain any other way. Sorry. Isle of Man TT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And by the way, I agree with Kazza. There are only 17 bikes to be ridden in MotoGP and way more talented riders. Many good riders have gone to MotoGP and ridden for "lesser" teams (Matt Mladin for example) and lacked success there. I don't think that classifies them as "failors". If you think for a second that someone as talented as Jorge Lorenzo, or Valentino would have this kind of success riding for Rizla Suzuki or Pramac Racing, you're out of your mind. They would be in the bottom of the points too. MotoGP bikes are badASS, but with so few on the grid, and the field continuing to spread out, the racing has lost some of it's excitement. I personally think that the racing in SBK and Moto2 is far more exciting to watch.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Right. No idea what I'm talking about.

Biaggi, Checa, Melandri, Vermeulen, Toseland, Fabrizio, Haga, Guintoli and Xaus are all ex MotoGP riders that lost rides.

Perhaps not Biaggi, we all know why he left GP. Anyways, no, I'm not wrong. A LOT of GP riders go straight to WSB.

Don't forget Troy Bayliss....

Ouch, that's going to hurt my Ozzie friends but I agree with jjjjime on this one.

That's not saying these guys can't ride but they DID lose their MotoGP rides for a reason.

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I dont really understand why people would say I have no idea what I'm talking about, I proved my point pretty well. Whatever, gang up on the new guy I guess. Regardless, every league is worth watching, and all have pros and cons. Racing is racing, bikes are bikes, and they're on the most incredible tracks in the world :)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, Kenny Roberts was my hero, when I was a young lad and it
wasn't a big deal to drink and ride, I could ride just like him too...
but I did eventuality grow up :D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to sound old school but any of you remember the old days? 500cc 2 stroke. Those were the days!!!

I'm pushing 55 and what really sucks is I wasn't into bike racing back then so I never got to see these guys. Man I missed a lot:(

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
here's a little taste: 1985 AMA 500cc in Laguna Seca, Kenny Roberts (2) VS Randy Mamola (1)
calling these two aggressive is prolly an understatement...and consider they're basically riding
chain saws on tires

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_WAeCe8oE]YouTube - ‪Kenny Roberts VS Randy Mamola Battle Heat1‬‏[/ame]

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Cow, that was something. I went to Laguna Seca when Moto Gp returned to the US, the corkscrew is amazing. I love the one wheel turn at 1:25.

Thanks for sharing!

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't want to sound old school but any of you remember the old days? 500cc 2 stroke. Those were the days!!!

That was the business.

500cc strokers were beasts to be feared. 250GP racers who made the step up to 500s did so with great trepidation & they were usually highsided half a dozen times before the half way point of their 1st season.
These days riders step up from Moto2 or WSBK & are on the pace straight away. The bikes are definitely more user friendly & it kinda takes away from the spectacle when you want to see the best of the best.

There is no way we are seeing the best riders in the world on the MotGP grid. We are seeing who can bring the most $$$ to the team eg Capirossi, Abrahams, Elias. Guys with good connections in Europe.

Lots of talk about the grids being full next year but at what cost? We going to see riders being lapped in 28 lap races again (anyone remember Cess Doorakas & Michael Rudroff?), there is no point having 28 bikes on the grid when we have the worlds best 10 racers on factory bikes & the rest getting in the way.

As for the original Q?

Get out to your local race track & support the guys who race for the fun of it, the guys who pays loads of $$$ just to be there. You can walk through the pits, talk to the riders, ask questions & half of them will let you sit on their bike for a photo.
The winner gets a small trophy & then they help each other pack up & share a beer before heading home & going to work on Monday.
That's the world of racing :thumbup: