Explain the world of racing.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I missed this...Biaggi vs. Melandri

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfC28H3ria8]YouTube - ‪2011 WSBK Donington - Biaggi and Melandri's war of words‬‏[/ame]

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget Troy Bayliss....

Ouch, that's going to hurt my Ozzie friends but I agree with jjjjime on this one.

That's not saying these guys can't ride but they DID lose their MotoGP rides for a reason.

Bayliss was on his way and planning to be in Gp before he went anywhere near SBK. He has a wildcard ride back in 96 & Phillip Island on a POS privateer Zuk and was fighting for the lead & a podium. He got 6th on debut.

People were ready to sign him, but he needed to bring $$$$$$ and as usual, no Aussie companies would help back him (which is a notoriosly Australian trait, the companies only look to get onboard once your a champ, not a rising star!).

So cirumstances led him to paid rides (as he famously said, 'Im here to try and make a living instead of working as a panel beater') in British & US SBK with Ducati before ultimately being Carl's replacement in WSBK when his career ended.

Don't forget Bayliss was well into his 30's before moving to MotoGp with Ducati.

So if Bayliss is failure, how about Colin Edwards? So what that he's still racing for Tech 3, he hasn't even won a Gp unlike Bayliss.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't start knocking Troy Bayliss (Red Wasp) ;)

Valencia
Wildcard
Qualified 2nd
Won the race.

Wooped everyones arse, even Rossi!

And as a lot of the forum members know, I'm not Australian. So I'm not playing the "Aussie favourite" card here :shakehead:

:D

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Bayliss was on his way and planning to be in Gp before he went anywhere near SBK. He has a wildcard ride back in 96 & Phillip Island on a POS privateer Zuk and was fighting for the lead & a podium. He got 6th on debut.

People were ready to sign him, but he needed to bring $$$$$$ and as usual, no Aussie companies would help back him (which is a notoriosly Australian trait, the companies only look to get onboard once your a champ, not a rising star!).

So cirumstances led him to paid rides (as he famously said, 'Im here to try and make a living instead of working as a panel beater') in British & US SBK with Ducati before ultimately being Carl's replacement in WSBK when his career ended.

Don't forget Bayliss was well into his 30's before moving to MotoGp with Ducati.

So if Bayliss is failure, how about Colin Edwards? So what that he's still racing for Tech 3, he hasn't even won a Gp unlike Bayliss.

Ahh , but Colin beat Troy for the WSBK championship. :Flip:

Man those two had some epic battles, hell of a great season of racing that was.

Good thing you Aussies aren't a bit touchy about your boys ;)

I still believe Moto GP separates the really top talent from the rest.

jjjjime

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't start knocking Troy Bayliss (Red Wasp) ;)

Valencia
Wildcard
Qualified 2nd
Won the race.

Wooped everyones arse, even Rossi!

And as a lot of the forum members know, I'm not Australian. So I'm not playing the "Aussie favourite" card here :shakehead:

:D

Considering Rossi crashed during that race, he better have ;)

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh , but Colin beat Troy for the WSBK championship. :Flip:

Man those two had some epic battles, hell of a great season of racing that was.

Good thing you Aussies aren't a bit touchy about your boys ;)

I still believe Moto GP separates the really top talent from the rest.

Yeah, and Troy also beat Colin for a championship :Flip::Flip::Flip:

Don't get me wrong, Colin is great. It pisses me off that he hasn't had Gp success.

2002 was a brilliant year. They raced each other so bloody hard & they could kick back after racing that intensely and share a beer.

Last edited:

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, and Troy also beat Colin for a championship :Flip::Flip::Flip:

Don't get me wrong, Colin is great. It pisses me off that he hasn't had Gp success.

2002 was a brilliant year. They raced each other so bloody hard & they could kick back after racing that intensely and share a beer.

I agree...sort of. If you are going to measure MotoGP success by number of wins, then there are a lot of failors that have been, and still are on the MotoGP grid. If you just sort back through the last 5 years, how many riders have won a MotoGP race? Not many...they have been dominated by the few. Just wondering, do you think Casey or Valentino would win on the Tech3?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree...sort of. If you are going to measure MotoGP success by number of wins, then there are a lot of failors that have been, and still are on the MotoGP grid. If you just sort back through the last 5 years, how many riders have won a MotoGP race? Not many...they have been dominated by the few. Just wondering, do you think Casey or Valentino would win on the Tech3?

I think Stoner would give it a pretty good go on the Tech 3. He proved it by how well he punted that Ducati donkey around the track. Just like the Ducati though, he would be right on the edge, and crash more though. Rossi...well, he's on the donkey now, and we saw how hard he found it to get around the track. Ducati, have thrown plenty of money at it now, and it still only got a podium because of Sideshow Bob thinking he's playing Road Rash.

Back on topic:eek: I think there is so much skill in pushing any of these bikes around the track that I would hesitate to call any of these guys failures. However most of the WSBK guys that go into MotoGP do struggle a bit. To start of with, they usually get second class rides, but look at Ben Spies. He's got a factory bike now, and considering the great job he did in WSBK, he is struggling in MotoGP. A clear indication to me that the guys out in front in MotoGP are definitely the elite.

If you really want to see some "Blow your mind" racing, you can do a lot worse than check out any of the road racing series in the UK. These guys are freaking out there:eek:....LMAO. Balls of steel.:rockon:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Inx7LwsHo&feature=related]YouTube - ‪2007 ULSTER GRAND PRIX SUPERSPORT‬‏[/ame]

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ozzieboy, I tend to agree with you. I think Stoner is going to win the championship this year and I have said that since before the season started. British Superbikes is amazing....turning out some fantastic talent. With regards to Ben Spies, he is struggling, but it is his first few races on the new bike. Remember how much Lorenzo struggled early on. I think the elite riders have definitely set the bar very high, but I think Ben can compete...we'll see in time. One guy that is sinking quickly (unfortunately) is Nicky Hayden. 2006 World Champion that may very well be out of a MotoGP ride soon....does that mean he is a failure? I think he got the royal shaft by Honda. There are a ton of stories like his (without the Championship). With so few rides, and especially so few competitive bikes, there's such limited room for asses to fill those seats....everyone else will be on the outside looking in. Good discussion everyone....thanks for the input. Glad to see so much passion and knowledge for a sport that LOVE!!!!