Exhaust upgrade, does this affect the o2 censor and fuel output

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the stock exhaust on my bike and wanted to get the carbon black series from Two Brothers. I heard from someone that if I put an after market exhaust on the 2008 fz6 that it will harm the engine. He said that the fuel mixture would be off or something of that nature. I have heard of some people using the electronic fuel controller, so in that case the fuel mixture could be adjusted. I just need this clarified because I only heard this stuff in bits and pieces and just dont understand it.:confused:

I am just wondering, if this is true, how is it the exhaust would affect the engine enough to hurt it so much?:confused:

While we are on the subject of exhaust, is it bad to run any engine with an exhaust off? It causes back pressure or something which can hurt the engine? Just wondering while I thought of it at the moment; not that I would actually do that.:confused:

Thanks guys, happy riding!:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum fellow San Diegan!

If you're just doing slip ons and not changing out any of the header and other pipe you're okay and won't need additional fuel management.

If you were to go for additional fuel management you would want to have the bike tuned by a pro so you have proper air to fuel ratio. That can get expensive.

And no don't run the bike with out the exhaust. With the exhaust on the bike it provides some back pressure which is something you want to retain and not completely eliminate.

Where are you in SD?

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the invite. :rockon:

Why do you need fuel management for the headers being changed, but not the slip ons?

What would happen if you changed the headers and did not put a fuel management device in the bike? Would it hurt the bike, or just make it run bad?

Do you think the slip ons add close to 4 hp to the bike? which could probably add more low end torque, I am just wondering if $800 is worth it. I like having that extra oomph, plus they sound pretty cool. Other then that, thats all I would get them for. I am sure I could get cheaper ones, but these pipes sounds good and look good. I wouldnt be getting them any time soon, I am getting my riding gear, then saving up for the exhausts after I got the feel of my bike just being stock. Something to look forward to buying for myself later on for rewarding myself for accomplishing something. haha.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the invite. :rockon:

Why do you need fuel management for the headers being changed, but not the slip ons?

What would happen if you changed the headers and did not put a fuel management device in the bike? Would it hurt the bike, or just make it run bad?

Do you think the slip ons add close to 4 hp to the bike? which could probably add more low end torque, I am just wondering if $800 is worth it. I like having that extra oomph, plus they sound pretty cool. Other then that, thats all I would get them for. I am sure I could get cheaper ones, but these pipes sounds good and look good. I wouldnt be getting them any time soon, I am getting my riding gear, then saving up for the exhausts after I got the feel of my bike just being stock. Something to look forward to buying for myself later on for rewarding myself for accomplishing something. haha.

I seriously doubt anything you bolt on this bike that helps the top is also going to help the grunt off the line. It makes max tq after 11k so it sounds like bang per buck you get some noise. But I doubt you'll even get that 4hp.

Collectors scavenge and create flow to pull in the next fuel air charge. Changing them to something bigger like the R6 headers will hurt the bottom end tq as the volume went up and velocity went down. Bigger primary pipes help the top end breath and that's perfect for a race bike. If you try bigger pipes you may be able to offset "some" of the ill effects by wrapping the headers with insulation to keep the heat in. Anyway - it's a science and Yama'rs designed the Fizzer to to be the all in one bike and it does a fair job it. In this case, bigger is not better unless you want a fuel management device and a tune and to risk the loss of some bottom end tq.

kevincomanche14680

Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously doubt anything you bolt on this bike that helps the top is also going to help the grunt off the line. It makes max tq after 11k so it sounds like bang per buck you get some noise. But I doubt you'll even get that 4hp.

Collectors scavenge and create flow to pull in the next fuel air charge. Changing them to something bigger like the R6 headers will hurt the bottom end tq as the volume went up and velocity went down. Bigger primary pipes help the top end breath and that's perfect for a race bike. If you try bigger pipes you may be able to offset "some" of the ill effects by wrapping the headers with insulation to keep the heat in. Anyway - it's a science and Yama'rs designed the Fizzer to to be the all in one bike and it does a fair job it. In this case, bigger is not better unless you want a fuel management device and a tune and to risk the loss of some bottom end tq.

Yeah maybe your right. I should save that $800 for general maintenance, plus my neighbors would kill me if I got those slip ons. Haha. Thanks dude!:cheer: