Evidence: Suspension Modifications - Best Bang for your Buck

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So there has been allot of talk recently about what mods to do first and which are worth the money, etc. ( I suppose this is always going on) Well I have been saying how suspension is the most import and is the most overlooked.

Well this winter I broke down and put a good bit of money in the FZ and replaced the factory shock with a Ohlin's adjustable shock (Comp. and Rebound) fitted with a 150 N/mm spring. Replaced the front fork springs with 85 N/mm spring, 10 weight oil and RaceTech Emulators.

Yesterday, Dad and I made a trip up to Tuggle Gap, nice twisty road about 80 miles from the house. We spent some time there making passes and getting photos and what not before heading on exploring southern VA for the rest of the day.

So with out further nonsense, here is my evidence supporting my theory of why suspension modification and proper setup is best...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6vNLW__PCs]YouTube - Hwy 8 4-4-2010.wmv[/ame]

20100404th-BryanBruce002.jpg

20100404th-BryanBruce012.jpg

20100404th-BryanBruce024.jpg

Riding the bike in the twisties now is so much easier. The bike is planted through the entire corner. Entry speed is higher and the speed is maintained with out the front diving and the rear end falling apart exiting.

Plus, with suspension mods, the only people you will piss off are your buddies as you pull away from them...

-bryan

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It's a really big difference, isn't it? Pity that those who feel the need to 'bling' first usually can't afford to make the bike work properly......

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a really big difference, isn't it? Pity that those who feel the need to 'bling' first usually can't afford to make the bike work properly......

I wouldnt say they cant afford to make it work properly... cause the "bling" costs just as much as the suspension stuff. Just dont care to learn, would rather look good. Pisses me off now that motorcycles are becoming fashion statements.

-bryan

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have my rear Ohlin shock on the way and can't wait. The tech guy at Ohlin said I probably don't need to do the front but it's on my list to mod. If I change the stock #### oil that alone will make a difference. I am some what of a light weight so I will give just the rear shock a try and change fork oil and see how my baby handles. COOL. :rockon:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I wouldnt say they cant afford to make it work properly... cause the "bling" costs just as much as the suspension stuff. Just dont care to learn, would rather look good. Pisses me off now that motorcycles are becoming fashion statements.

-bryan

The other thing I noticed, after getting the suspension sorted out...... what kind of tires I used made a lot less difference. At street speeds, pretty much anything out there worked just as well as premium stuff. All the vagueness went away......

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing wrong with buying "bling".

I'm a relative newbie and changing suspension etc would be of no real benefit to me at the moment. Maybe when I'm an experienced rider it will be, but for now, if I want to add "bling", then so be it. :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Of all the countless mod's to my bike, performance mod's were, and still are the first priority...

I have Ohlins stuff, front & rear, and yes, the difference is massive!!! The ohlins works soooo much better, once you get it set up right, with the correct weight springs, and all the set up parameters sorted for your riding style....

I am also getting much better tyre wear with the Ohlins stuff in place, especially at the rear of the bike....

:thumbup:

MSB1990

Reaction score
Visit site
hey i don't have my fz6 yet but this is one of the first things i want to do... i'm getting a wrecked fz6 that is all cosmetic work nothing really wrong with it... i would really like to get some more info on your suspension set up and what parts you bought... thanks

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my rear Ohlin shock on the way and can't wait. The tech guy at Ohlin said I probably don't need to do the front but it's on my list to mod. If I change the stock #### oil that alone will make a difference. I am some what of a light weight so I will give just the rear shock a try and change fork oil and see how my baby handles. COOL. :rockon:
go for the ohlins front fork springs. you wont regret it.. i have both installed.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Nothing wrong with buying "bling".

I'm a relative newbie and changing suspension etc would be of no real benefit to me at the moment. Maybe when I'm an experienced rider it will be, but for now, if I want to add "bling", then so be it. :)

Kazza,

If you are in the 'right' weight range, the OEM setup is at best 'average'.... If someone weighs more than ~ 140 lbs, it's not very good at all. Actually pretty bad when you weigh ~200 lbs. I've ridden worse, but not by much.

Just learning to ride, is in my view when you would benefit most..... if you learn to ride when you can actually tell what the front wheel is doing, and can point the chassis in a given direction with the confidence of knowing it's going to go there without bobbing and weaving around.

The -6 is a wonderfully capable bike, compromised by it's suspension. The rake and trail, wheel base, and weight are all quite good. Produces a relatively fast steering, stable bike that is fairly easy to flick around. It's a very good street bike.

If you have more fun adding bells and whistles to your bike, more power to you. When you finally get around to getting the suspension sorted out, you'll wonder why it took so long to do. :D

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
So there has been allot of talk recently about what mods to do first and which are worth the money, etc. ( I suppose this is always going on) Well I have been saying how suspension is the most import and is the most overlooked.

Well this winter I broke down and put a good bit of money in the FZ and replaced the factory shock with a Ohlin's adjustable shock (Comp. and Rebound) fitted with a 150 N/mm spring. Replaced the front fork springs with 85 N/mm spring, 10 weight oil and RaceTech Emulators.

Yesterday, Dad and I made a trip up to Tuggle Gap, nice twisty road about 80 miles from the house. We spent some time there making passes and getting photos and what not before heading on exploring southern VA for the rest of the day.

So with out further nonsense, here is my evidence supporting my theory of why suspension modification and proper setup is best...

Riding the bike in the twisties now is so much easier. The bike is planted through the entire corner. Entry speed is higher and the speed is maintained with out the front diving and the rear end falling apart exiting.

Plus, with suspension mods, the only people you will piss off are your buddies as you pull away from them...

-bryan
Hmm.. Where's the actual evidence?=P All I see is your subjective opinion. If you could show to some lap time improvements at the track before and after the mod, that would be more actual evidence. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that suspension is one of the most important mods if you're going to push the bike hard, but nothing in your post proves that.=P

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't doubt the thread's premise but I learned very little from a video of still photos, 5 seconds of actual movement, all with a craprock soundtrack. ;)

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. Where's the actual evidence?=P All I see is your subjective opinion. If you could show to some lap time improvements at the track before and after the mod, that would be more actual evidence. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that suspension is one of the most important mods if you're going to push the bike hard, but nothing in your post proves that.=P

I was being silly.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
hey i don't have my fz6 yet but this is one of the first things i want to do... i'm getting a wrecked fz6 that is all cosmetic work nothing really wrong with it... i would really like to get some more info on your suspension set up and what parts you bought... thanks

google "Setting Sag on Street Motorcycle" There are several good articles out there on how to do this.

The rear can only be adjusted via the 7 preload positions from the factory.

In the front, the easiest and cheapest route is to play with oil weight. Factory is 5, I ran 15 last year and I am now at 10 with the emulators. Also you can change the preload by cutting different sized spacers. I think i am running a set of 120mm spacers now. These can be made using PVC pipe.

-bryan