help choosing the best track mods for me specifically

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to try a 300 on the track. I've demo'd it and it's a blast.
Ride it properly on the track and you'll be passing bigger bikes on every corner entry :rockon:
It was a tough choice between a used 600 and a new 300 for me...though I never got to try the 300. I think if I had, I'd have gone with that knowing my preferences. But I do love my FZ, even though I'd love to have to lightweight and MPG of the 300 right now.

I believe it'd be a beast on the track, I've seen the videos of guys on 250s smoking people.

newsargent

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm actually about to buy a new street bike - my first new vehicle ever. (I really have gotten hooked. I had no intention of buying a new bike when I bought the FZ6.) It's 999cc and not a supersport, so maybe one day I'll take it onto the track but no time soon.

I don't have a car so I've been riding to the track. Which has been fine, and fun (though it may not be smart to do, twice I've ridden for several hours on good backroads after spending the day at the track, and every mile was fantastic), but I don't have the option of buying a track only bike. It has to be street legal.

Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate all of your comments, and it's very helpful to get advice from folks who were once more or less in the same situation I'm in now.

I'm going to do two things. One is make a spreadsheet to approximate what the different options would cost. The second is put my bike up for sale at what I think is its fair value, which if it was to sell at would make buying a supersport a solid choice financially.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like I'd get an old ninja 250 for a track bike, or maybe a ninja 300, though the 300s are going to be pricey. (but I still wanna try one sooooo bad, I love small nimble bikes that give their all for you)

I took my girls klx250sf on the track n it was awesome until I get to the straights lol

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
As usually disclaimer first :) I don't want to put you down or being smart ass here.

In my very humble opinion, if you got your first bike couple months ago you don't have to worry too much about spending money on bike upgrades.

Main thing you need to work right now is the skill of handling the motrocycle. I've did 4 trackdays last year on stock FZ6, then I've changed only fork oil, front springs, front preload, SS lines+brake pads and did another 3. This year I've used same config (just refreshing fork oil now and then) for 3 trackdays this year, changed gearing to -1 front, moved to B+ group and i still found my place around other guys. I've did 3 more trackdays and then i've MOVED DOWN to SV650S to learn different skill set and see what's about SVs everybody are talking :)

I've never put shock.

I think my upgrades cost me around $300-400.

All the time I was riding FZ6 I felt very comfortable. Sure, each step allowed me move forward but if I would spent $2k upfront on upgrades I wouldn't be able to afford those first 7 trackdays. I'm just looking on my pictures during those days and my riding then was really messed up :) My lines were bad, body position didn't existed, I was scared to go above 100mph - no upgrades can fix that.

I would suggest investing low money on bike (SS lines, pads, fork oil, front springs), put good sport tires and spent rest on track time than any other upgrades. There is nothing else that can improve your riding (especially if you are new to track riding) than just seat time.

It will take some time until you will learn to ride faster and you will have to upgrade.

I also agree with Erci - FZ6 is very capable. You WILL have fun riding it - almost stock - at the track. But it's no match for any track oriented bike like R6, GSXR600, ZX6R or CBR600RR. But again, those bikes should come in right time :) I was running loops on my FZ6 at later days around some of those new guys at R6s and GSXR600s :)

Just my $0.02...

Last edited:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a lot to add, but additional confirmation. Deep Blue and Eric (and others) have provided awesome advice.

As mentioned, with just starting out, spend your $$ on track time and not so much on mods. But, a few simple mods are highly recommended for any bike doing more than a couple TD's like SS lines, pads, springs and above all rubber. Other than that, seat time will make you smoother and more in control which = faster.

The only items I would add that haven't been mentioned are a lap timer and a steering damper. Lap times are the only true indication of improvement and personally, I wouldn't ride a bike on a track without a steering damper. Many orgs require it. If you've ever had a head shake at 150+mph, you'll know why.

My $.02. I've literally done several hundred track days. I've seen many people come and go. You may be already over your head if you're planning to do a bunch of track days and you're still riding your bike to them for many reasons. Get a tow vehicle (pick-up, etc.) and if you're serious, you'll get a dedicated bike. Older 600 sportbikes and SV's are all over the place in the $2K range.

Good luck! and hopefully, we'll see you at the track :thumbup:

TheSandman13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll chime in with similar sentiments to others on the forum. And take this with the grain of salt. This really depends on what your track day intentions are. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on track specific mods for the FZ6 without taking it out first. I did a couple of track days on my FZ before I realized that I needed a dedicated track bike if I wanted to keep doing them.

2 reasons:

1) Performance. You can never get your FZ6 to be as good a track bike as an R6, GSXR, CBR, or any true sport bike... And I'm talking about a stock sport bike. Once you start upgrading from stock on one of those, it really becomes a great track bike. Don't get me wrong. I loved my FZ6. Great all around bike. But it's not a track bike. You would spend way more trying to make it track worthy than you would just buying one that someone else has already set up. You never get that money back.

2) Taking your dedicated street bike to the track is just too risky...in my opinion. Even if it's a sport bike like an R6. Crashing at the track is fairly common. I've done about a dozen now, and there seem to be at least 2 or 3 crashes every time. No telling how many run offs. Every level too. Anything from a minor run offs to a major high side. I've seen plenty. Some are basic low sides. A lot of those you can get right back on the bike and keep riding. But at the very least it will sustain a lot of cosmetic damage. Why risk your pride and joy? I saw a guy on his first track day low side his 2011 FZ6R. Pretty minor low side, but it was at least $2000 or more in mostly cosmetic damage. Sliding along the track and them a little bumping in the grass. He was fine. You can pick up an older track bike that probably still runs great, and will already have all kinds of track mods. It might have some dings, but at least you won't worry as much if you do crash it. You might never crash, but if you do, crashing your baby is like rubbing salt in the wound.

Last edited:

newsargent

Reaction score
Visit site
As usually disclaimer first :) I don't want to put you down or being smart ass here. I'm just getting grumpy after my crash :)

In my very humble opinion, if you got your first bike couple months ago you don't have to worry too much about spending money on bike upgrades.

Main thing you need to work right now is the skill of handling the motrocycle. I've did 4 trackdays last year on stock FZ6, then I've changed only fork oil, front springs, front preload, SS lines+brake pads and did another 3. This year I've used same config (just refreshing fork oil now and then) for 3 trackdays this year, changed gearing to -1 front, moved to B+ group and i still found my place around other guys. I've did 3 more trackdays and then i've MOVED DOWN to SV650S to learn different skill set and see what's about SVs everybody are talking :)

I've never put shock.

I think my upgrades cost me around $300-400.

All the time I was riding FZ6 I felt very comfortable. Sure, each step allowed me move forward but if I would spent $2k upfront on upgrades I wouldn't be able to afford those first 7 trackdays. I'm just looking on my pictures during those days and my riding then was really messed up :) My lines were bad, body position didn't existed, I was scared to go above 100mph - no upgrades can fix that.

I would suggest investing low money on bike (SS lines, pads, fork oil, front springs), put good sport tires and spent rest on track time than any other upgrades. There is nothing else that can improve your riding (especially if you are new to track riding) than just seat time.

It will take some time until you will learn to ride faster and you will have to upgrade.

I also agree with Erci - FZ6 is very capable. You WILL have fun riding it - almost stock - at the track. But it's no match for any track oriented bike like R6, GSXR600, ZX6R or CBR600RR. But again, those bikes should come in right time :) I was running loops on my FZ6 at later days around some of those new guys at R6s and GSXR600s :)

Just my $0.02...

Hey man. Thank you for your advice! I said I would write out a spreadsheet in order to make a decision about keeping or selling/trading my bike. I believe what everyone's saying about I should get a track bike for the track, and I looked on craigslist and there are a lot of nice used ones in my area. However. After looking at the numbers I'm going to stick with my FZ6. I'm buying a second bike for riding around town/commuting/trips - this is something I was already set on doing - and decided that the benefits of spending even more to have a supersport for the track are not worth it. The FZ came with a power commander, aftermarket pipes, and SS line. I have already changed fluids and pads and put on Pirelli Angel GTs. It's a great bike. For the fork and rear, the dilemma that spurred my first post, I'm ordering Race Tech springs and that's it.

I appreciate all of your advice and agree that my FZ6 will be a great track bike for me for a long time to come. Thanks again!

newsargent

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a lot to add, but additional confirmation. Deep Blue and Eric (and others) have provided awesome advice.

As mentioned, with just starting out, spend your $$ on track time and not so much on mods. But, a few simple mods are highly recommended for any bike doing more than a couple TD's like SS lines, pads, springs and above all rubber. Other than that, seat time will make you smoother and more in control which = faster.

The only items I would add that haven't been mentioned are a lap timer and a steering damper. Lap times are the only true indication of improvement and personally, I wouldn't ride a bike on a track without a steering damper. Many orgs require it. If you've ever had a head shake at 150+mph, you'll know why.

My $.02. I've literally done several hundred track days. I've seen many people come and go. You may be already over your head if you're planning to do a bunch of track days and you're still riding your bike to them for many reasons. Get a tow vehicle (pick-up, etc.) and if you're serious, you'll get a dedicated bike. Older 600 sportbikes and SV's are all over the place in the $2K range.

Good luck! and hopefully, we'll see you at the track :thumbup:

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it. I'll look into a steering damper but other than changing the springs will put the money into more track time.

I hadn't thought about getting a timer. I'm into that kind of stuff and it makes sense. So if I can find a good deal I'll take it.

newsargent

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll chime in with similar sentiments to others on the forum. And take this with the grain of salt. This really depends on what your track day intentions are. I wouldn't recommend spending any money on track specific mods for the FZ6 without taking it out first. I did a couple of track days on my FZ before I realized that I needed a dedicated track bike if I wanted to keep doing them.

2 reasons:

1) Performance. You can never get your FZ6 to be as good a track bike as an R6, GSXR, CBR, or any true sport bike... And I'm talking about a stock sport bike. Once you start upgrading from stock on one of those, it really becomes a great track bike. Don't get me wrong. I loved my FZ6. Great all around bike. But it's not a track bike. You would spend way more trying to make it track worthy than you would just buying one that someone else has already set up. You never get that money back.

2) Taking your dedicated street bike to the track is just too risky...in my opinion. Even if it's a sport bike like an R6. Crashing at the track is fairly common. I've done about a dozen now, and there seem to be at least 2 or 3 crashes every time. No telling how many run offs. Every level too. Anything from a minor run offs to a major high side. I've seen plenty. Some are basic low sides. A lot of those you can get right back on the bike and keep riding. But at the very least it will sustain a lot of cosmetic damage. Why risk your pride and joy? I saw a guy on his first track day low side his 2011 FZ6R. Pretty minor low side, but it was at least $2000 or more in mostly cosmetic damage. Sliding along the track and them a little bumping in the grass. He was fine. You can pick up an older track bike that probably still runs great, and will already have all kinds of track mods. It might have some dings, but at least you won't worry as much if you do crash it. You might never crash, but if you do, crashing your baby is like rubbing salt in the wound.

I'm cool with taking the risk with my FZ6, in large part because I'm getting a second bike and my beautiful FZ will be my track bike + transportation to the track, and secondly I'm insured with Rider who has repeatedly told me that they'll cover my track crashes as long as I'm not participating in a sanctioned race. If anyone has had experience with Rider and track crashing and has found that to NOT be the case, please let me know. The forum threads I've read about it are inconclusive.

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ came with a power commander, aftermarket pipes, and SS line. I have already changed fluids and pads and put on Pirelli Angel GTs. It's a great bike. For the fork and rear, the dilemma that spurred my first post, I'm ordering Race Tech springs and that's it.

I appreciate all of your advice and agree that my FZ6 will be a great track bike for me for a long time to come. Thanks again!

There you go :thumbup:

One more thing worth to mention. You might consider dropping forks in triple clams (so forks will stick out). It will slightly change bike geometry and allows to turn in quicker/faster. I believe I've dropped mine by 10mm on FZ6.

astorm

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone, sorry to reactivate an older thread but wanted some opinions on my 07 FZ6. my Husband and I did our first track day a couple of weeks ago and are totally hooked. We both ride the street very aggressively - our honeymoon was spent down in NC/TN riding the twisties.
So my question is, last year I got a BMW 1200GS for my main road bike. Thus my FZ has been dedicated to a "sometimes" rider... Mods that I have done to the FZ before I got the BMW are - new exhaust and power commander. we also changed the gearing a bit. So, I want to turn this into my dedicated track bike to use over the next season or 2. I don't want to spend much more than 1000-1500 on any mods I make as we are pushing into the pricing for a "new" used bike at 2500-3000. So, I have started researching the R6 mod. I have read all of the posts and think that this is definitely the first thing to do. I also think that pulling the fairing and either going naked or retro fitting something else. But my question is about the R6 mod, what year do fork/front end do I need to fit the 07 FZ? Do I need the full front end or just the forks?

Thanks for any input!
Alexandra