Etymotic 6i Isolator Earphone review

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear friends,
I bought some noise isolating earphones (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx) and I thought I'd share a review.
These are great for long trips. This weekend I rode 413 miles on Saturday and 560 miles on Sunday. I was rocking to some music and also some podcasts on my iPhone. It really helps you pass the time. I've found that for long slabs on the highway, I suffer from mental fatigue as much as physical. Maybe I'm just an idiot, I dunno. Of course, you should use this responsibly. So don't speed up when you're listening to your favorite song or have music playing when you really need to hear some external sound, like city traffic. It's always good to have a quick kill switch. I just yank the jack out of the iPhone. This stops the music player as well -- a nice iPhone feature.

So now that the disclaimer is over, here's my review:
The earphones come with different inserts that go into your ear. I used the foam inserts because they were supposed to have the highest noise reduction rating (NRR). They also have a flanged silicone insert that's supposed to be more comfy. The silicone inserts are probably good for the office or at home.

I was truly unprepared for how much these earphones block out the sound!
I always wear earplugs rated at 33 NRR. These Etys block out even higher than that. With the music off and my Etys underneath my helmet, the Etys did a much better job of blocking the wind noise from my Givi touring windscreen. Etys are known to block a lot more sound than other manufacturers. When I have the music on, the volume is at it's second lowest setting. I can hear the music as background to the bike and the external environment. I was too afraid of turning the music up too high. I don't want to damage my hearing.

The foam eartips were comfy for me and I had no problems getting them to stay in my Arai helmet. Some people complain that their helmet pokes the earphone more into their ear, causing discomfort. I never had that problem, probably because of the design of the helmet padding.

The Etys are known to be kind of fragile, so be careful. The wires are supposed to be easily torn apart. I bought a SquareTrade warranty for them. I found a good coupon on slickdeals.net. It was like $9 for a 3 year warranty.

Here's a better review from another site:
I agree with the cable noise. As long as the cables are secured, like snaked up along the inside of the jacket, you should be fine.
Ultimate Cut-The-Crap In-Ear Headphone Battlemodo
attachment.php

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have those also.....but like my Skull Candy a little more. I like the fact that they had a volume control on the wires. And I think they have a little more bass......

Skullcandy Store

nice review there OMG!