Engine oil quantity question

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yes.... and I managed to unscrew the drain plug to let enough out to set the level correctly on the dip stick........ Catch the clean oil in a clean container, if you over shoot, (go too low) just add it back in.

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
i was running about 600ml extra for a while, only to reduce the chance of oil starvation from doing long wheelies.

Eventually the police caught up with me and 9 months no riding and ive put it back to the normal level.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I just drained 2.9 litres without a filter change. It goes in and registers above the high mark in the stick. My excuse? I only had the bike 3 months and the last change was my first one. It definitely ran a little quieter for 2,000 kms then got noisy again.
I am using Yamalube 15W50 at 3000 km intervals.
Rumps

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I'll be the first to ask, why would you do that and if you did why wouldn't you drain the excess out?

My question was probably a bit vague, because I didn't want to start a debate on oil. :rolleyes::D
I'm quite experienced with oil and filter changes....I've probably done thousands of them during my career. ;)
Here's my dilemma: I have 1 new, unopened quart of Amsoil 10w40 Synthetic bike oil. The stuff costs $19.95 a quart at our local Canadian Tire store. I'm not a cheapskate, but I hate like hell to buy 3 more quarts if I only really need 2 more. So, 2 quarts of Amsoil will cost me $40+. If I need to buy that 4th quart which will end up costing me $60 in total, I'd rather pay $40 for a 4 liter (gallon) jug of any other leading brand of motorcycle synthetic oil for my FZ6 than end up paying $60 for Amsoil.

I'd like to stick with Amsoil because that's what's in the engine now.
Storm in a teacup, I know, but that $20 extra will almost buy a case of beer up here.

Last edited:

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't really follow your ramblings too much, but to answer your question: Your bike will NOT hold more than 3qts. At 3qts, its overfilled already. Keep adding and it'll just keep getting overfilled.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My question was probably a bit vague, because I didn't want to start a debate on oil. :rolleyes::D
I'm quite experienced with oil and filter changes....I've probably done thousands of them during my career. ;)
Here's my dilemma: I have 1 new, unopened quart of Amsoil 14w40 Synthetic bike oil. The stuff costs $19.95 a quart at our local Canadian Tire store. I'm not a cheapskate, but I hate like hell to buy 3 more quarts if I only really need 2 more. So, 2 quarts of Amsoil will cost me $40+. If I need to buy that 4th quart which will end up costing me $60 in total, I'd rather pay $40 for a 4 liter (gallon) jug of any other leading brand of motorcycle synthetic oil for my FZ6 than end up paying $60 for Amsoil.

Storm in a teacup, I know, but that $20 extra will almost buy a case of beer up here.

I don't get it.:confused: Just add a total of three quarts. Add one quart of Amsoil, then top off with two quarts of whatever else you buy. If you buy a gallon jug, you will have two quarts left over for the following season. Or buy the Amsoil online, I pay $8.33 USD a quart with shipping. As long as you have three quarts in the engine, you will be fine. And do not worry about mixing oils, I have done it, and nothing really happened. Just do not overfill, you really do not want to froth up the oil by having the crank hit it.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my dilemma: I have 1 new, unopened quart of Amsoil 14w40 Synthetic bike oil. The stuff costs $19.95 a quart at our local Canadian Tire store. I'm not a cheapskate, but I hate like hell to buy 3 more quarts if I only really need 2 more. So, 2 quarts of Amsoil will cost me $40+. If I need to buy that 4th quart which will end up costing me $60 in total, I'd rather pay $40 for a 4 liter (gallon) jug of any other leading brand of motorcycle synthetic oil for my FZ6 than end up paying $60 for Amsoil.

I'm gonna sit down now, feeling dizzy. :confused: