Engine lugging around 11mph, normal?

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed this a few weeks back, if I lock the throttle while in 1st gear and stay at 11mph the engine lugs I get spurts of power as it tries to maintain 11mph. If I drop it a fuzz to 10mph all is fine and the same for 12mph. What gives? Should I be concerned? Bike runs great otherwise..

07 fz6

mrtrees

Just a Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has been doing that same kind of stuff for the last couple days when I go to class in the morning. However I've chalked up that to the 0 degree temps when I leave in the morning lol. Sorry I can't help you out.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am inclined to ask.... Why would you do 11 mph on a motorcycle? ;) I exit my garage faster than 11 mph. :thumbup:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's normal. If you're idling slowly in traffic, give it a tiny bit more gas if you can. Otherwise you'll have to clutch it.

I feel for you non-European, non-Californian riders who aren't permitted to lane share ("split" lanes). I can't even imagine what it would be like to live and ride in a place that didn't allow it, and I probably would do it anyway. I'd probably be run off the road or have my bike impounded.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I probably would do it anyway.

^ That.

Every once in a while someone tries to intentionally smush you but you can spot it ahead of time if you're doing a sensible speed. No cops....yet! Hopefully it doesn't happen but I look forward to that first discussion where I lie through my gritted teeth....."I was getting away from this guy in a pick-up who tried to kill me....I swear!!"

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Heh twist the throttle I never thought of that thanks. Was just curious of why that 11mph speed and rpm did that. I'll just chalk it up as its personality it wants to go faster haha crazy blue bikes. I tend to hit 11mph when in bumper to bumper traffic you go with the flow here dont get to lane split =(

Last edited:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
The thing is, at that speed the clearances between the mechanical parts - chain,sprockets,gears,etc. - are all clashing with each other because they are spinning too slow. Not sure if that makes sense, I know what I want to explain but can't put it on paper/text on screen.

Also, in that specific gear at that specific speed, the engine is in an area in the power/torque curve where it is not efficient for that gear and speed. All engines have relatively lumpy power/torque curves. The nice straight lines you see in mags are averaged out.

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
Your reply makes a lot of sense. I always wondered that about the power curves how they seemed to be a nice curved line. I wonder if its possible to find the actual values for a stock fz6 especially the fuel mapping.

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, they are a line but not as perfect as in the mags. The machine (dyno) that records the power curve takes snap shots at points during measurement. These are then connected to make a line representation.

So the smoothing comes from the dots in the middle which are replaced by a connecting line, instead of more dots. The cheaper the dyno the less dots. (Or something like that)

All bikes have some flat spots. Twin cylinders are usually at 3-4000 RPM. In line 4s at 5-6000RPM...

There are actual Dyno maps from guys who have had their FZs dynotuned on the forum somewhere. (Formatted my drive so can't help now)

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Noticed this a few weeks back, if I lock the throttle while in 1st gear and stay at 11mph the engine lugs I get spurts of power as it tries to maintain 11mph. If I drop it a fuzz to 10mph all is fine and the same for 12mph. What gives? Should I be concerned? Bike runs great otherwise..

07 fz6

No, it's fine. Just ride it.