East Tn, NC and VA trip.

cujoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planing on three to four day trip to East Tn, NC and maybe southern VA and I'm wondering if anyone would like to tagalong or meet along the way. As of right now I'm planing on leaving Spring Hill TN. (middle Tn) on May 27 or 28. I plan to hit the Cherohala Skyway,The Dragon and the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Here are some maps that I have laid out. If anyone has any suggestion on places I should go I would appreciate it.
First Day:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-3nB5uvYDzX08XOKpsRiS
Second Day:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-EkEzTDfJUauI
Third Day:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-sx9U

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I could possibly join you on your second day as come in on the eastern side of the appalachians. Looks like you are heading North towards Boone, and such. I just glanced at the map, but are you planning on riding Hwy 421 while your up that way?

There are many nice roads up there that are worth getting on. I will let you know when the time gets closer if I will be able to make it out that weekend for sure. Lots of good riding where you are planning on going. I have put about 8,000 miles in those hills, and loved every minute of it.

-bryan

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OH! Wife and I will be on those routes the week before you go! We'll be in Southern TN on the 16th then hitting the Cherohala, Snake and Dragon in the middle of the week. We're coming back to NH on the 25th/26th.

Have a GREAT (and safe) ride!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I just looked over a few maps I have made over the past year, thought I would share some of these roads with you.

Now before I get started on these, I noticed that you had planned to do the BRP mostly on your second day. While it is a great road and is very nice on the NC side, I normally use it as a connector from one road to the next. I have been on it many times and at this point I have probably rode almost all of it. So these roads I am going to to mention are off the BRP and it can be used to link them up. I am going to try to list off roads from North to South.

Hwy 421 (The Snake)
-This runs from the Bristol Area down towards Boone. There is a nice country store at the bottom of the snake in Shady Valley.

Hwy 58 towards Sparta
-Goes through the worlds Shortest Tunnel. Serisouly they made the road go through a rock. Rather ammusing.

Hwy 221S
-Leaving Blowing Rock heading south. This road runs ll to the BRP.

Linville Falls
-This is just off the BRP, there is a nice park and waterfall there. Great photo op.

Hwy 181
-Runs from Jonas Ridge to Morganton. Nice twisty, fast road, extreamley wide.

Hwy 80
-North of Marion, NC. "Road so tight it will break a snakes back"

Old Fort Rd.
-Runs from Old fort to Hwy 9 (Marion)

Hwy 9
-Nice and Twisty, a bit populated. (Marion)

Lake Lour
-Very nice area. Dirty Dancing was filmed there.

Hwy 276
-South of Asheville. Tight and twisty. Great ride.

Hwy 215
-Leads to SC and Hwy 178

Even further south, in to SC.

Hwy 178
-Great road, nice country store at the end.

-Hwy 215
Take it north coming back from 178.

I just ran over a few nice roads off the parkway going North to South.

There is a great website that people can post and comment on roads for motorcycles.
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

I usually look for roads on there and then get on Microsoft Streets and trips and start playing around with routes.

This week is not a great week. But feel free to contact me at any time. I can get you some software to help with this and I can send you a few maps.

-bryan

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to be down that way from June 12-16 so looks like I am a couple weeks after your going. Thanks bmccrary for that list. My plan is to do roads beside the Blue Ridge while going south so that I hit the tail of the dragon on a weekday and then Blue Ridge all the way back north.

cujoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan,

Thanks for all the great information. I will definitely try some of those routes. I'm going to start reworking my maps tonight and i will post them again.

Joe

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny I'll be all over where you are going to be. We are planning to leave the 26th as of right now but may move it forward or back a week depending upon weather as it get's closer. Here's a map of our trip looks as if we may cross paths somewhere near the Dragon.

Point A-C is Day 1 26th
C-D is 27th
D-E is full day 28th we are planning to spend in the area of Cherohala and Deal's Gap
E-F is our return trip on Friday the 29th

from:SC-11/US-276 to:Old Hwy 25 to:Old Hwy 25 to:Mountain Page Rd/NC-1846 to:Green River Cove Rd/NC-1151 to:Unknown road to:Main St/NC-9/US-64/US-74 to:US-74 to:Blue Ridge Pkwy to:Brevard Rd/NC-191 to:Blue Ridge Parkway Ramp/Fredrick Law Olmsted Way

Last edited:

cujoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my reworked maps. I probably will be taking some detours along the way but this will be the general direction I will be going.

First Day
Driving Directions from Spring Hill, TN to Lower Stecoah Rd, Robbinsville, NC

Second Day
Driving Directions from 1755 Lower Stecoah Rd, Robbinsville, NC to 14355 Nc Highway 18 S, Laurel Springs, NC

Third Day
Driving Directions from 14355 Nc Highway 18 S, Laurel Springs, NC to Sparta, TN

Third Day Alternate
Driving Directions from 14355 Nc Highway 18 S, Laurel Springs, NC to Sevierville, TN

On the first night I'm planing on staying at the Iron Horse Lodge on the second night Station's Inn. The third night will stay somewhere in Sevierville or at my Sister's place in Sparta.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have any of these routes saved in Garmin style "routes" that are available? ;)

cujoe

Reaction score
Visit site
I could possibly join you on your second day as come in on the eastern side of the appalachians. Looks like you are heading North towards Boone, and such. I just glanced at the map, but are you planning on riding Hwy 421 while your up that way?

There are many nice roads up there that are worth getting on. I will let you know when the time gets closer if I will be able to make it out that weekend for sure. Lots of good riding where you are planning on going. I have put about 8,000 miles in those hills, and loved every minute of it.

-bryan

Would be happy to have you come along as far as you can.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
On the first night I'm planing on staying at the Iron Horse Lodge on the second night Station's Inn. The third night will stay somewhere in Sevierville or at my Sister's place in Sparta.

We'll be at the Ironhorse as well for both the 2nd and 3rd nights. Have to make sure if we're there at the same time we atleast hook up for a morning ride on your way out.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is something new that just came out. I havent tried it yet so im not sure how it works.

MapQuest to Add Send to GPS Feature for Garmin Devices - MapQuest Blog

Google has this in place too. It works great for addy's and POIs but they still can't transfer a route to the GPS. Maybe Mapquest will beat them to it!?! :thumbup:

FWIW? Microsoft MapPoint as well as Streets and Trips 2009? Both absolutely blow monkey chunks! Thank God I can use them at work under out SA agreement without having to buy them!

cujoe

Reaction score
Visit site
The plans have changed a little. A buddy and I are going to be leaving on the 16th and coming back on the 19th. We will probably be meeting up in Murfreesboro early Saturday morning. The first night we will be staying at the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville, North Carolina. The second night we will be staying at the Stations Inn in Laurel Springs, NC. The third night, I dont know yet. So if anyone can make it on these dates, would be glad to have you come along.