Taking a trip to the Smokies

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
A friend and I are planning to throw the bikes in the back of one of our pickups and drive down to the Smokey Mountains in a little over a month. Right now we have planned to do the Tail of the Dragon/ Cherohala Skyway Loop and The Blue Ridge Parkway Loop. We have one more free day to fill. Anyone have any suggestions in the area? Our trip will take us from New Jersey to Tennessee so we could hit anything off 81 too.
Also any tips for the trip would be great. I've ridden many roads in the Adirondacks and Catskills, but I hear the Smokies is a whole different ball game.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've run those roads a few times now. The Dragon is awesome, as long as it isn't too crowded. The Cherohala Skyway is my absolute favorite, with the higher speeds and banked sweepers to go along with the unbeatable scenery.

One suggestion along your route down I-81 is the "Back of the Dragon" (Back of the Dragon - Home). Exit #45, VA-16. Can be epic if the conditions are right.
There's a bit of construction on part of it right now, not sure how long that will last but I hear it's minimal.

A little further out of the way (but not much) is the 421 portion of "The Snake". Another one you don't want to miss if you can help it! The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride"

Enjoy your trip!

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to check out some of those other rides Ohendo!. I have the Cherohala Skyway planned for the same day that we do the Dragon. I found a loop that does both in one ride. Plan is to do the Dragon on Wednesday to hopefully avoid some traffic.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are in Maggie Valley, stop by the Wheels in Time Museum. Absolutely worth an hour or two to see all the bikes in there.

Another vote for the Back of the Dragon.I only had 5 cars in 30 miles when I rode it in September a few years back.