Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

• Yes I wear them all the time

Votes: 201 54.0%
  • No never used them..

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • Pardon......

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

moo cow

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm with catch,
wind noise is my biggest pest. i'm getting a new helmet next week so i hope it helps. if not, i've got some plugs i use when i play guitar that don't muffle or block the noise, they just reduce the dB levels.

H

HavBlue

Here are some facts about prolonged noisy environments.

Stock exhaust, I'm guessing is around 90 to 95 dBa's and this doesn't include the wind noise as you're rippin' at 100 mph. OSHA recommended exposure to 97 dB sound and over is 3 hours. If you don't protect your hearing, what will you be listening to later in life?

Just a side note, I found my Scorpion EX-1000 helmet to be noisier than my old Bell Apex, so I wear the ear plugs all the time.

Ya gotta love OSHSA....

For what it's worth, at 56 years of age I have been riding without ear plugs for 44 years and this will be my 45th season. During this time I have worked on military jets, piloted a 17 foot Cole winged T4 flat bottom drag boat (for 4 years), worked in an automotive service and manufacturing environment and some other really noisy places. At times I wore everything from mouse ears to ear plugs. My hearing is not perfect but I have no need for hearing aids or any other device necessary to help me hear nor do I find it necessary to crank it up when it comes to the TV, radio or music . Today, I can hear the brush on a symbol, the squirrel foraging in the woods, bird song and my grandkids asking to go riding or for a cookie. I will however say the one thing many riders face in terms of hearing problems plugs or not is what is known as "tinnitus" or ringing of the ears. In some cases this condition is permanent and in others it will go away. Either way I still hear very well and if I don't fix this bathroom faucet the drip drip drip is going to drive me nuts. I will also say I have my ears checked (audiogram) every two years just to stay on top of things.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya gotta love OSHSA....

For what it's worth, at 56 years of age I have been riding without ear plugs for 44 years and this will be my 45th season. During this time I have worked on military jets, piloted a 17 foot Cole winged T4 flat bottom drag boat (for 4 years), worked in an automotive service and manufacturing environment and some other really noisy places. At times I wore everything from mouse ears to ear plugs. My hearing is not perfect but I have no need for hearing aids or any other device necessary to help me hear nor do I find it necessary to crank it up when it comes to the TV, radio or music . Today, I can hear the brush on a symbol, the squirrel foraging in the woods, bird song and my grandkids asking to go riding or for a cookie. I will however say the one thing many riders face in terms of hearing problems plugs or not is what is known as "tinnitus" or ringing of the ears. In some cases this condition is permanent and in others it will go away. Either way I still hear very well and if I don't fix this bathroom faucet the drip drip drip is going to drive me nuts. I will also say I have my ears checked (audiogram) every two years just to stay on top of things.

Tinnitus is a result of prolonged exposure to sounds exceeding the normal decibel range of the human ear. What causes tinnitus is the contraction of the tensor tympani muscle in response to these loud noises in order to protect the ear from injury. This contraction stiffens the relationship between the bones of the middle ear (malleus, incus, and stapes). These bones are what transmit the sound from your ear drum (tympanic membrane) to the inner ear (semicircular canals & cochlea). When they stiffen, they transmit less sound to the inner ear, thus reducing the perceived volume of sound inside your ear. The unfortunate side effect of this muscle contraction is the ringing in your ears. If done repeatedly, this can of course become permanent and will result in hearing loss.

In short, any ringing in your ears is bad. If you get ringing in your ears after riding, start wearing ear plugs.

H

HavBlue

Tinnitus is a result of prolonged exposure to sounds exceeding the normal decibel range of the human ear. What causes tinnitus is the contraction of the tensor tympani muscle in response to these loud noises in order to protect the ear from injury. This contraction stiffens the relationship between the bones of the middle ear (malleus, incus, and stapes). These bones are what transmit the sound from your ear drum (tympanic membrane) to the inner ear (semicircular canals & cochlea). When they stiffen, they transmit less sound to the inner ear, thus reducing the perceived volume of sound inside your ear. The unfortunate side effect of this muscle contraction is the ringing in your ears. If done repeatedly, this can of course become permanent and will result in hearing loss.

In short, any ringing in your ears is bad. If you get ringing in your ears after riding, start wearing ear plugs.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Otosclerosis? This is a common ear disorder characterized by unusual stiffness or lack of flexibility of the tiny bones of the middle ear. This condition is also found to frequently cause tinnitus. In some cases, otosclerosis is caused by the markedly increased local blood supply. In other people, it is caused by the leakage of harmful substances from the diseased bone, which directly damages the inner ear hearing cells. The protective bony casing surrounding the inner ear may also become diseased. While tinnitus is difficult to diagnose and there are medical reasons for it as opposed to simply exposure to noise, it can often be remedied. In any case I'm still doing fine....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just done a 440 mile ride in two days. I had my plugs for the outward trip they are great. I averaged about 86 to 120mph. I unfortunately left them in my hotel room. On the way back my journey was crappy and when I got off my bike my ears were feeling really muffled. If you haven't given ear protection a fair go try again.
[off topic] On the way back I did the 120 miles in an hour and a half. Got 126 miles until the last bar was left on my fuel guage.
Nelly

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure you're not thinking of Otosclerosis? This is a common ear disorder characterized by unusual stiffness or lack of flexibility of the tiny bones of the middle ear. This condition is also found to frequently cause tinnitus. In some cases, otosclerosis is caused by the markedly increased local blood supply. In other people, it is caused by the leakage of harmful substances from the diseased bone, which directly damages the inner ear hearing cells. The protective bony casing surrounding the inner ear may also become diseased. While tinnitus is difficult to diagnose and there are medical reasons for it as opposed to simply exposure to noise, it can often be remedied. In any case I'm still doing fine....

I don't know if this reassures you that I know what I am talking about, but I am a physician and do deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis. Otosclerosis can cause tinnitus, but by far the most common cause of tinnitus is still exposure to loud noises. While occassional exposure causes only temporary ringing in the ears, the effects are cumulative and will result in hearing loss. It is not reversible, no matter what anyone else tells you. This stiffening of the bones in the middle ear (aka Otosclerosis) is similar in many regards to any joint that develops arthritis. It can hereditary or from abuse (loud noises). Excessive wear on the joints between the bones causes inflammation which then develops scar tissue, thus reducing the flexibilty of the joints between the bones and in turn reducing the ability of the middle ear to conduct sound waves to the inner ear as efficiently.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions. Ear plugs FTW.:thumbup:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
After some 90km (60mph) wind noise is stronger than engine and exhaust noise combined (full helmet used). So plugs are needed.
Must be much worse for people with top helmet only.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Earplugs-Do you wear them?

I have to wear the molded type earplugs because I can’t seem to make work the type you roll with your fingers. I was wondering if there was a certain brand that seemed to work best. The higher the db rating the better, I need to keep what little hearing I have left.

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Earplugs-Do you wear them?

Yes, I also have had them made for me as I also don't have any luck trying to stuff those other things in my ears.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site

Rockmurf: That seems to be the way to go. Did you get them made at a hearing aid store??

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site

good post. i too am having no luck with the foam ones. thought about making my own out of impression material i use making teeth. wonder how much the hearing aid people charge?

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site

After I get my foamies in and just right I have to by super careful that I don't knock them out when I put the helmet on, and they get knocked out almost every time I take the helmet off.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site

well i just got through making custom ones from rubber base impression material. awesome. heck with the foam ones. took about five minutes per side.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Always without a doubt. I ride around 25-30 miles each way from home to work, at around 70 mph most of the way. Wind noise is really the main reason. However, I just got a new helmet, Scorpion Exo-700, wow is that thing much quieter than my HJC AC-12, kinda glad I dropped it and put a hole in it now.

I also have ear plugs provided for me at work. I think the ones I use are called MAX, made by Howard Leight, NRR of 33. They are disposable, but I just use them until they get dirty.

I find that ear plugs/muffs will dampen and filter out the bad noise, like wind, or an 1150 HP GE electric motor, and allow you to hear what you want to hear, like someone talking to you. Make sense?

Commenting on something someone else said - no idea who - about earplugs falling out when putting their helmet on. I've NEVER had this happen. I have noticed that some people just don't seem to be able to put earplugs in properly. I tell them that they're not in and they just tell me that they've been using earplugs for 25 years. When most of the earplug is sticking out in its original shape, its not in. Some earplugs need to be held in place until they have expanded and filled the ear canal, otherwise doing things like putting a helmet on will just end up knocking them out.

I have good hearing, and I want to keep it that way.

Ok, I'm done.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
Commenting on something someone else said - no idea who - about earplugs falling out when putting their helmet on. I've NEVER had this happen. I have noticed that some people just don't seem to be able to put earplugs in properly. I tell them that they're not in and they just tell me that they've been using earplugs for 25 years. When most of the earplug is sticking out in its original shape, its not in. Some earplugs need to be held in place until they have expanded and filled the ear canal, otherwise doing things like putting a helmet on will just end up knocking them out.

haha I'm gonna tell you about how I've been using them for years :p

But seriously, I've always had a problem with foamies in my left ear, but not the right. Even when I'm standing there doing nothing it's hard for me to get a good fit on the left. Over the past four years my hearing scores have actually improved (dunno how?) so I guess they're working.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
probably illegal :rolleyes: but i have the noise canceling headphones that go in the ear... great for taking the bite off the wind noise and also great to listen to some nice riding tunes :rockon:

fazerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: you should also put in there sometimes . I will use ear plugs if i am on the motorway (freeway) or travelling sum distance generally . For a cruise in town or local village , ride outs, No I do not bother (love to here those 2 bros ,sweet lol) so add that then plz :spank:

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
haha I'm gonna tell you about how I've been using them for years :p

But seriously, I've always had a problem with foamies in my left ear, but not the right. Even when I'm standing there doing nothing it's hard for me to get a good fit on the left. Over the past four years my hearing scores have actually improved (dunno how?) so I guess they're working.

The ones I use are what you could call a soft foam, they're not always the easiest to get in. The other earplugs we buy are EAR Classic, only rated at NRR 29db, but much easier to get it. They're a firmer foam, and stay 'rolled up' a lot longer and 'roll up' thinner too. Theres the EAR Classic Superfit aswell, looks like the same kind of foam, but NRR of 33db. These EAR Classics, when I do use them, I don't even need to pull back on my ear to open up the ear canal for insertion. I actually find that I hit my ear drum often, they go in that easy.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't remember it I've posting on this thread but ear plugs are great! They allow you to ride much longer and much more comfortably.

I've been on long rides and actually stopped at like a "Bait and Bullet" shop to pick some up it I've forgotten them. I also keep a pair in my tank bag.

I've lost a bit of hearing over the years because of my part-time job for Uncle Sam; guns, track vehicles, generators, cranked radios and a motar that went off 5 inches from the right ear. It's not fun to have to say, "What?" in your 40's. Or just smiling and nodding because you can't understand what is being said in a noisy room.

For longer rides I consider part of ATGATT.